Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 07 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 16:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thank you Domke :)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 07, 2017 16:01 |  #1

After a lifetime of buying bags, and getting hacked off with them, I've finally found one I like, the olive Domke F2 waxed canvas ruggedwear bag.

Soft, adjustable, stiff base but it can be removed to hug your hip, not too big but big enough, not obviously a camera bag, storage space but the design isn't dominated by slots, pouches, wallets zippers and sections and gadgets. It's a basic bag, but with enough extras to be all I need, I've replaced 5 bags with this one bag, it's just 'right' from every angle, so chuffed :)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=JdsGKTDRItM (external link)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 07, 2017 18:29 |  #2

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18446840 (external link)
After a lifetime of buying bags, and getting hacked off with them, I've finally found one I like, the olive Domke F2 waxed canvas ruggedwear bag.

Soft, adjustable, stiff base but it can be removed to hug your hip, not too big but big enough, not obviously a camera bag, storage space but the design isn't dominated by slots, pouches, wallets zippers and sections and gadgets. It's a basic bag, but with enough extras to be all I need, I've replaced 5 bags with this one bag, it's just 'right' from every angle, so chuffed :)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=JdsGKTDRItM (external link)

I've had three F2 bags over the last 30 years, and one replacement was because one "disappeared" during a house move. They are hard to beat as an all-around bag, and have always been.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 07, 2017 21:35 |  #3

I have three Donke bags. I use my F1-X the most... the little bit bigger bag. I got an F-7 for a song, but only use it when I'm taking more than one camera body to a shoot, something I'm starting to do more and more. Sometimes, I end up taking both of my bigger bags with me. I use a gear cart to haul stuff around so I don't have to be a beast of burden myself. ;)

I haven't found the F-2 as useful. I picked it up used and though it is my first Domke bag, I'm using carrying more lenses so it is less useful. I store a few things in it at the moment.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 08, 2017 00:17 |  #4

My only issue was their website, I gave up trying to use it in the end, so it's possible there's an even better Domke out there for me, but I have no idea lol

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Sep 21, 2017 16:39 |  #5

Domke makes great products. My first was a waxwear F2, loved it and still do. I carry a F1-x olive canvas these days just due to needing more room.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

richfell
Joined Apr 2007
Sep 21, 2017 16:50 |  #6

That does look like a good bag. Very nice video review too.

Rich

peter_n
Goldmember
2,351 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Sep 25, 2017 09:45 |  #7

I've used an F-2 for 26+ years and I also have an F1-X. The F-2 is the best bag to work out of on the street, although I had to replace the strap on mine two years ago as the rubber weave gave out.

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18447097 (external link)
it's possible there's an even better Domke out there for me...

There was and I have more than one of them. Safrotto made Domke clones, some of which were much better made products than the Domke originals which Tiffen effectively ruined. Safrotto are now making gussied-up versions of the bags that don't look like the Domke bags any more.

I have the regular canvas Domke bags and use Nikwax TX.Direct for rain proofing. You get the rain resistance along with the still soft canvas so the bag can mold to your body. TX.Direct can be bought from outdoor retailers and is used for waterproofing canvas tents.

~Peter

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 25, 2017 09:53 |  #8

peter_n wrote in post #18460000 (external link)
I've used an F-2 for 26+ years and I also have an F1-X. The F-2 is the best bag to work out of on the street, .

I just want to emphasize this as the raison d'ĂȘtre of the Domke F-2. Other bags are better for transport, but for a PJ operating literally on the run, the F-2 is superb.

MarcoEos
Joined Sep 2017
Netherlands, Utrecht
Sep 25, 2017 10:09 |  #9

Very nice bag, especially the F2. Don't the shoulder strap slip off your shoulder? I did have that problem with various other shoulder bags.

"To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius
flickr (external link)

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Sep 25, 2017 12:35 |  #10

i got my first F-2 when the camera shop owner (and Nikon guy) i worked for, gave me the one that came with a new F3 (promotion) in 1984...

it has been from michigan to texas to colorado to michigan to california to oklahoma to california to washington to california to hawaii to alaska to california to michigan to denmark to germany to the states to the netherlands to ohio to canada to michigan blah blah blah blah blah...

not all of these trips have been by comfortable passenger seat car rides. lots of stuffed under seat in front, overhead compartments, trunks, in military transports and dragged across the concrete as i moved on hands and knees shooting shtuff...

its got some fraying going on and the non-slip stuff on the strap is long gone but it is as comfortable as a nice broken in pair of Levis 501 jeans (the originals)...

i bought an F7 (?) little bit bigger (? same girth, just longer) and an F1 (? same length just deeper) to use when traveling now since ive added a tablet and assorted chargers and more accessories that i dont want to have to dig around in my other (carry-on) bag while traveling someplace between an airport and hotel...

absolutely the best bags ive ever used...

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 25, 2017 21:36 |  #11

MarcoEos wrote in post #18460020 (external link)
Very nice bag, especially the F2. Don't the shoulder strap slip off your shoulder? I did have that problem with various other shoulder bags.

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com​/gp/product/B00009R86L​/ (external link)

They really work. They save your shoulder, plus keep the strap on your shoulder. It won't slip off.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

peter_n
Goldmember
2,351 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Sep 28, 2017 13:04 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #12

My Safrotto clone bags came with a very nice shoulder strap cushion for free, thicker canvas, better stitching, a wider strap, an unbelievably high quality insert that was also free, and quality metal hardware that had better detail design than the Domke plastic hardware. In addition, the Domke F-803 and F-802 satchel clones didn't have that seriously annoying plastic bone under the handle that stops the bag from lying snugly against your hip. They improved the designs in little ways that showed they thought about trying to make a better bag. The Safrotto clones are no longer available unfortunately. The composite pic below is the shoulder strap cushion from their small CF-700 satchel.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

sponsored links

649 views & 3 likes for this thread
Thank you Domke :)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.