Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 24 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 15:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

eBay for Lightroom/PS Subscription?

wunhang
650 posts
Joined Nov 2009
SoCal
Sep 24, 2017 15:57 |  #1

So I saw that there were sellers on eBay offering the 12 months pre-paid subscription plans for Lightroom+PS CC for $89.99 which is similar to some previous discounts offered by more trusted retailers (Adorama/BH) on special sales. Any insight on whether these are legit or possibly foolhardy to follow-thru with?

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,603 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 24, 2017 16:19 |  #2

Paid subscriptions to software exist only to put more money in the creator's pockets. Buy the software outright. LR6 is available for $149 ($79 if you are upgrading). I've been using LR since version 3, maybe 5 years. At $10/month that comes to $600 (upgrades come with subscription). I got version 3 free as a student at Indiana University. I've paid $79 to upgrade twice. Even if I'd paid full price for v3, I'd still only have $310 in LR.

It's your money. Play it whichever way makes the most sense to you.

Tom

pat.kane
571 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Sep 24, 2017 17:00 |  #3

Search Slickdeals as there was a recent deal on Lightroom/PS CC. Yes, there are legit deals out there. Just buy from a reputable merchant.

In my case the subscription model has been less costly than keeping LR and PS up to date as standalone software. I also always have the latest version where I had been skipping versions when I owned the standalone software.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 26, 2017 02:09 |  #4

I have Lightroom 5 and was JUST about to buy LR 6 and so glad I read on CR that there's a Lightroom 7 on the way! Woohoo--I skipped an upgrade!  :p

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

StarJack
548 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Sep 26, 2017 09:54 |  #5

pat.kane wrote in post #18459554 (external link)
Search Slickdeals as there was a recent deal on Lightroom/PS CC. Yes, there are legit deals out there. Just buy from a reputable merchant.

Thanks for the mention of Slickdeals. I've been watching Canon Price Watch like a hawk for the next deal, and they missed that one.

Regards,
Steve

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Sep 27, 2017 12:40 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #6

I am still using LR 6 and saving money every month !!!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,001 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 28, 2017 10:26 |  #7

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18460598 (external link)
I have Lightroom 5 and was JUST about to buy LR 6 and so glad I read on CR that there's a Lightroom 7 on the way! Woohoo--I skipped an upgrade!  :p

But how long do you want to wait? Because you know it'll take 3 versions of v7 to get it stable just like always.

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 28, 2017 12:34 |  #8

With my 5dsr I'll just shoot RAW + JPG until its released. If I really need a RAW file in LR 5.7 in the mean time I'll figure out how to convert the CR2 file into a DNG. The CD that comes with a Canon camera can do that, right? Or i could use Gimp? :oops:

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,001 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 28, 2017 12:51 |  #9

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18462222 (external link)
With my 5dsr I'll just shoot RAW + JPG until its released. If I really need a RAW file in LR 5.7 in the mean time I'll figure out how to convert the CR2 file into a DNG. The CD that comes with a Canon camera can do that, right? Or i could use Gimp? :oops:

Adobe has a free CR2->DNG converter you can use.

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 28, 2017 21:20 |  #10

Thanks Mike!! I'll go look for it.

sponsored links

734 views & 4 likes for this thread
eBay for Lightroom/PS Subscription?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.