Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Sep 2017 (Monday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What shooting mode do you use most?

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,252 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 25, 2017 23:03 |  #16

GregoryF wrote in post #18460391 (external link)
About 60% AV and about 40% manual. Always use manual with flash work and certain events.

Pretty much the same for me.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 26, 2017 02:52 |  #17

Mostly for general day to day shooting I will be in Av mode, and use CWA for metering. I find the Average metering more consistent than Evaluative, sometimes Evaluative makes some odd choices. This probably makes up a majority of the times I'm using the camera.

For a very large majority of my actual exposures I use manual. This last weekend for example I shot over 2800 exposures a day at the two days of the Duxford airshow. Large numbers of exposures allows one to push the limits of settings since a less than 10% keeper rate still gives a decent number of images.

In manual I'm likely going to be using spot metering, along with incident readings from an external meter.

In general situations where I am worried about shutter speed, and want the highest speed possible for any ISO value, rather than a fixed shutter speed, I will actually use Av not Tv mode. By using Av with the lens wide open you know you will always get the fastest possible shutter speed.

When I do use Tv mode is when I need to limit the shutter to a relativly slow speed to create some wanted motion blur. Normally I would be in Manual mode for this. I do have my C2 slot set up with Tv 1/160 ISO 100 and +1 1/3 EV EC CWA metering. This is for the times I might have a long enought lens on and a propellor driven plane flys over. So I see the plane, turn the mode dial to the end and I have pretty decent setup for a good shot. C1 is Av f/8 ISO 400 plus the same as the other for jet aircraft where I want the fastest shutter possible. Any of my lenses that are long enough will be f/6.3 but do benefit from f/8.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Goodform
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 26, 2017 05:42 |  #18

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18460477 (external link)
Manual mode always. Will shoot manual mode with auto ISO when I don't have time to meter. When in auto ISO I expand metering a little wider from spot.

Are you post processing?

Yes, Raw and editing in post.

I have been an amateur photo bug for around 10 years now with my Canon and while I understand what is being said and suggested here, I think I need to practice with my 'on-the-fly' adjustments for active subjects (I find myself missing those "perfect" shots when I am too slow with changes). I suspect this is where custom settings come in? I am starting to explore more of the 6DII features, and I think that will make good results come easier too. It really is light years ahead of the old 7D.

Thanks, everyone!

fordmondeo
Joined Sep 2007
Portsmouth England
Sep 26, 2017 07:53 |  #19

100% AV.

Vaginator9000

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,277 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 26, 2017 09:09 |  #20

Av for almost everything, Manual for flash and long exposure.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,912 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Sep 26, 2017 09:10 |  #21

GregoryF wrote in post #18460391 (external link)
About 60% AV and about 40% manual. Always use manual with flash work and certain events.

I'm in that same ball park. About 50/50.
Speedlites M about 99.9%.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 26, 2017 10:25 |  #22

Goodform wrote in post #18460639 (external link)
Yes, Raw and editing in post.

I have been an amateur photo bug for around 10 years now with my Canon and while I understand what is being said and suggested here, I think I need to practice with my 'on-the-fly' adjustments for active subjects (I find myself missing those "perfect" shots when I am too slow with changes). I suspect this is where custom settings come in? I am starting to explore more of the 6DII features, and I think that will make good results come easier too. It really is light years ahead of the old 7D.

Thanks, everyone!

"On the fly adjustments"

check the manual to see which buttons you can reconfigure. I don't know what options are available on the 6D2.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,741 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Sep 26, 2017 16:09 |  #23

Probably like 90% Av, the rest manual

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Sep 26, 2017 18:41 |  #24

Almost always Tv mode, with the exception being when using flash I tend to use manual.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Arizona
Post has been edited 2 months ago by strobe monkey.
Sep 26, 2017 19:33 |  #25

Aperture priority and Manual... also use Tv when shooting sports.

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Sep 27, 2017 08:45 |  #26

Goodform wrote in post #18460075 (external link)
what you guys are doing when you're out and about needing to take quick shots without 'setup' time?

Manual mode but with AutoISO.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

alex66
202 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 27, 2017 09:30 |  #27

Depends on the lens and how camera works with auto iso, so with A7 and Nex6 always Av due to longer lenses most others just stick them on P as the lenses are bellow 20mm in focal length. I tend to go for smaller apertures for increased DOF but it seems to make little difference on small aperture cameras with the sony's there are points I want to reduce the DOF and others would rather push iso up to get greater DOF.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,457 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Sep 27, 2017 11:35 |  #28

Fully manual all the time. No auto anything for exposure control.

Auto focus most often but only with rear button activation (NOT half-press of the shutter release).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Sep 28, 2017 22:44 |  #29

Manual all the time - I shoot sports, street, architecture and food.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Sep 28, 2017 23:25 |  #30

Almost always manual although occasionally I'll switch to Av or manual with auto ISO if needed.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

36,921 views & 12 likes for this thread
What shooting mode do you use most?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.