Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 27 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 02:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Glamis Dunes Engagement

protest42
Joined Feb 2010
Sep 27, 2017 02:43 |  #1

Here are a few from my first engagement session we did at the glamis sand dunes in California. First time using my Einstein strobe outdoors and was happy with the results(carrying all my gear was a bit of a chore). Feel free to provide any CC.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |

sponsored links
protest42
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2010
Sep 27, 2017 02:45 |  #2

Couple more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |

BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
Sep 27, 2017 06:55 |  #3

Absolutely stunning

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

SereneSpeed
701 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Sep 28, 2017 21:11 |  #4

BlackBull wrote in post #18461306 (external link)
Absolutely stunning

That covers it...

http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/dmwbphotography (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/danielmwbuehle​r (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,974 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
Sep 28, 2017 23:55 |  #5

I'm going to be the **** and make a few critiques. Let me start positive and say I really love the last one, with the patterns in the sand, etc., but the sun is too bright and too white, it distracts. Composition is my biggest gripe. In the first one, I don't like the fact that it's split perfectly in half. Accentuate the sky or the sand, but not both. In the second one, it looks like a nuclear test is going off behind them. In the third, I don't like the horizon going through both their heads. Overall the compositions are off for me and they're too bright.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,966 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 29, 2017 00:28 |  #6

A striking setting, but it seems to me that emotionally the poses are a little off. They suggest an asymmetry in the relationship. These images are much more about her than about him. Do other shots from this set have the man participating more in the occasion? In the first shot, he appears to have lowered his head. In the one image that includes his face, he doesn't look happy.

Please don't take this as a complaint about the photography.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 29, 2017 01:42 |  #7

Beautiful location, couple, and technique, for the most part.

I'll echo the complaint about horizons at the head line, and #2 is 'almost awesome' and therefore really bothering me. I don't like how she is looking at the camera and we have a view of the back of his head. Complete 180 and I'm confused as to the messaging of the image. I'd like to have seen him looking off camera left or something. Maybe looking at her. Anything other than what he's doing in the image.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

protest42
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2010
Sep 29, 2017 02:56 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #18462561 (external link)
A striking setting, but it seems to me that emotionally the poses are a little off. They suggest an asymmetry in the relationship. These images are much more about her than about him. Do other shots from this set have the man participating more in the occasion? In the first shot, he appears to have lowered his head. In the one image that includes his face, he doesn't look happy.

Please don't take this as a complaint about the photography.

Thanks for the notes, most of the other photos in the set had images involving the man more, I just happened to have picked the ones that fail to showcase the two of them together. This was my first engagement shoot and I definitely feel lost when shooting(posing) couples so I’ll definetely keep this in mind for future shoots.

protest42
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2010
Sep 29, 2017 03:02 |  #9

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18462578 (external link)
Beautiful location, couple, and technique, for the most part.

I'll echo the complaint about horizons at the head line, and #2 is 'almost awesome' and therefore really bothering me. I don't like how she is looking at the camera and we have a view of the back of his head. Complete 180 and I'm confused as to the messaging of the image. I'd like to have seen him looking off camera left or something. Maybe looking at her. Anything other than what he's doing in the image.

I appreciate the cc, I definitely feel I could improve on poses for couples and totally get your thoughts on the image now that you point them out. Couples shoots are completely new to me so this definitely helps to make me think a little more about the overall message

protest42
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2010
Sep 29, 2017 03:06 |  #10

elrey2375 wrote in post #18462554 (external link)
I'm going to be the **** and make a few critiques. Let me start positive and say I really love the last one, with the patterns in the sand, etc., but the sun is too bright and too white, it distracts. Composition is my biggest gripe. In the first one, I don't like the fact that it's split perfectly in half. Accentuate the sky or the sand, but not both. In the second one, it looks like a nuclear test is going off behind them. In the third, I don't like the horizon going through both their heads. Overall the compositions are off for me and they're too bright.

Thanks for your critique, I agree with most of what you said(horizons through the head especially bugs me now that you point it out). Will keep all of this in mind during future shoots

bryzf1
Joined Mar 2011
NM
Sep 29, 2017 12:00 |  #11

First of all, beautiful images! But what my eye is drawn to, maybe because it drives me nuts in my own photos, is that there is a lot of sensor dust in the images, specifically in the top left of the frame.

Bryan
1DX | 5D3 | 17-40L | 24-70LII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L | 135L | 70-200LII | 200 f/2L
flickr (external link)

protest42
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2010
Sep 29, 2017 12:22 |  #12

bryzf1 wrote in post #18462838 (external link)
First of all, beautiful images! But what my eye is drawn to, maybe because it drives me nuts in my own photos, is that there is a lot of sensor dust in the images, specifically in the top left of the frame.

Thanks! Yeah I’ve noticed the dust as well, I just got the camera recently used and haven’t been able to get the sensor cleaned yet. Definitely on the list of things to do

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,974 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
Sep 29, 2017 19:10 as a reply to protest42's post |  #13

Thank you for taking it in the spirit it was given. Wasn't trying to be mean, just honest.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Sep 29, 2017 19:49 |  #14

Great set.
I like the connection/comfort of the bride to be with you.
I see what the others are pointing out in your pics but doesn't make me like them any less.

7DMKII/Sigma 10-20/Sigma 24-70 2.8/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Sigma 150-600
www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

ammo
200 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Cornwall, UK.
Oct 09, 2017 00:55 |  #15

Oh my god this location is absolutely epic!! So jealous you got to shoot there

Check me out :)
Wedding Photographer Cornwallexternal linkMy Facebookexternal link
My Flickrexternal link
Cornwall Wedding Photographerexternal link

sponsored links

824 views & 11 likes for this thread
Glamis Dunes Engagement
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.