Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 22 Sep 2017 (Friday) 13:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Yongnuo YT24 EX diffusers

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 24, 2017 12:50 |  #16

On another note... Although it is perfectly doable to take field shots at 4-5x, I got more and more frustrated about the DOF at this mag so started to mainly use 4-5x for focus stacking and I will never look back! Its also possible to field stack but it just depends on the bug.

Because of this I built this mobile stacking rig, and although I haven't had chance to use this in the field yet, I can just pack up, take on site, flip the lid and start to stack :)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4357/36579936524_f267aba539_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4350/37033853230_c1ff9e5063_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4438/36579940764_e55eb3dfec_b.jpg

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 29, 2017 03:43 |  #17

That rig looks excellent Jason! I thought about doing something similar, but not in a case (just set it up on my patio table). But I don't shoot above 3x often, have no interest in shooting something dead, and most of the critters that I do photograph are semi-conscious so I'm not so sure I'd be able to pull off all the frames for a stack.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 29, 2017 04:55 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #18

This rig did just used to be on a table but my house is quite small so I needed something that I could pack away easily. You can stack across the whole magnification range obviously and I don't just stack dead bugs! you can stack small flowers and things like that, but if your not interested in that stuff then your not interested. Stacking is very addictive though, it brings out the details just not possible with single shots and it just makes you want to get closer and closer, which I've not explored yet due to limited time!

On my to-do list I do actually have a hand-held stacking rig in my mind that I'd like to make, which would basically let you slide the camera back and forth in a very accurate way using sliders that can be rested on whatever surface you can find. Hopefully I'll get onto this once I've finished my diffusers.

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 29, 2017 06:18 as a reply to JasonC007's post |  #19

Would love to see a camera that could do it by shifting the sensor, but I think we're quite a ways off from that technology.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 29, 2017 06:42 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #20

Yes that would be cool, although some stacks can cause a few mm of movement so they would need to allow more space inside the camera. Maybe one day :)

What would be better is if you could do 100 frames per second at full resolution, that might be a fair way off as well though!

5,779 views & 3 likes for this thread
New Yongnuo YT24 EX diffusers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.