Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 29 Sep 2017 (Friday) 08:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ON1 HDR - Not Impressed One Bit

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,992 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Sep 29, 2017 08:59 |  #1

ON1 has a HDR product, supposedly coming soon.

Here's a video:

YouTube video (external link)

In the video, ON1 displays both a natural look and a HDR (tonemapped) look.

To be honest, and just my personal opinion, but they both look like crap to me. Not impressed one bit.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Sep 29, 2017 09:20 |  #2

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18462705 (external link)
ON1 has a HDR product, supposedly coming soon.

Here's a video:

YouTube video (external link)

In the video, ON1 displays both a natural look and a HDR (tonemapped) look.

To be honest, and just my personal opinion, but they both look like crap to me. Not impressed one bit.

And you reached that profound perceptive insightful proclamation by watching one video in which one image was purposefully over processed by the presenter.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,992 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Picture North Carolina.
Sep 29, 2017 09:31 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18462716 (external link)
And you reached that profound perceptive insightful proclamation by watching one video in which one image was purposefully over processed by the presenter.

Yep. Because I am smart enough to know that when a marketing department of a company produces a video, or any other advertisement, about a new product they will always select and demonstrate the best they can. And as I said, being smart enough to know that ON1 demonstrated their best, I am not impressed.

Edit: and by the way, watching the video might help comment about it. In the video, the presenter VERY CLEARLY states the first version is NOT overprocessed - it's the natural look. The over-processed version comes quickly only in the last part of the video.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,349 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 29, 2017 10:12 |  #4

I don't know, the tool looks pretty flexible to me allowing each photographer to process as they see fit. The sample image seemed to highlight the capability of the tool as well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kirkt.
Sep 29, 2017 10:21 |  #5

Like everything, the proof will be in the pudding - hopefully this will be implemented as a trial for potential users and a free update to existing users, so that both can try before dedicating resources to yet another HDR workflow.

It is not so easy to tell from the video if the first set of adjustments creates a flat image with obviously overcontrasty edges because it is a preview and not viewed at 100% or because that is what the image actually looks like after making the adjustments. I'm not sure why the choice was made to drop the exposure (the midtones in most of these apps) instead of bringing the highlights down. Many times highlights and shadows controls have spatial ranges in which they operate, making haloing and similar artifacts apparent the more they are pushed. Maybe that is what happened here, or maybe it is simply a byproduct of the scaled preview.

It is pretty apparent that OneOn is creating a clone of Lightroom, with the ability to use layers. In fact, that is what most of these all-in-one raw converter/editors are trying to do, with some sort of ability to add "filters" and "effects" non-destructively.

Variety is the spice of life, I suppose.

kirk

PS - Of course, contrary to the narrator's opinion, one can capture this scene in a single exposure - you just use a Grad ND filter. It is just another method of tonal range compression.

Kirk
---

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,992 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Sep 29, 2017 12:31 |  #6

kirkt wrote in post #18462746 (external link)
Like everything, the proof will be in the pudding - hopefully this will be implemented as a trial for potential users and a free update to existing users, so that both can try before dedicating resources to yet another HDR workflow.

It is not so easy to tell from the video if the first set of adjustments creates a flat image with obviously overcontrasty edges because it is a preview and not viewed at 100% or because that is what the image actually looks like after making the adjustments. I'm not sure why the choice was made to drop the exposure (the midtones in most of these apps) instead of bringing the highlights down. Many times highlights and shadows controls have spatial ranges in which they operate, making haloing and similar artifacts apparent the more they are pushed. Maybe that is what happened here, or maybe it is simply a byproduct of the scaled preview.

It is pretty apparent that OneOn is creating a clone of Lightroom, with the ability to use layers. In fact, that is what most of these all-in-one raw converter/editors are trying to do, with some sort of ability to add "filters" and "effects" non-destructively.

Variety is the spice of life, I suppose.

kirk

PS - Of course, contrary to the narrator's opinion, one can capture this scene in a single exposure - you just use a Grad ND filter. It is just another method of tonal range compression.

Always good to read an intelligent post. And Kirk, you and yours are always intelligent and thoughtful

Your comments plus, there's no accounting for the way Google knocks down quality of stuff posted to YouTube. The image is way too flat. Lacks contrast. In fact, the example image lacks any zip altogether - kind of wonder why they chose it to begin with.

Can't comment about Lightroom - don't use it. But ON1's RAW app marketing has always attacked Lightroom - even before the first beta was released. So I'll trust your perceptions there.

As always, a try before a buy is advised.

And yes, agree on the sliders and the user's ability to make adjustments. HDR apps with radio buttons and no fluidity of choice leave much to be desired.

We'll see. Not the worst, but not the best. Average. I'm personally sorta leading away from HDR altogether nowadays. There are so many good, easy to use LM masking apps available now, one might wonder about the future of the HDR app sector. Unless the desired look is the overcooked clown-puke look. IMHO LM masking apps create a superior natural looking image, but as far as I know, none have the ability to overcook an image.

sponsored links

573 views & 0 likes for this thread
ON1 HDR - Not Impressed One Bit
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.