Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 20:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Alleged Leak - Profoto new product

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Sep 28, 2017 07:32 |  #61

fotopaul wrote in post #18461999 (external link)
:lol: Yeah ill make sure the technological wonders of the B2 doesn¢t overwhelm me...;-)a

Itɢs been set in motion, we will get a B2 and B1 and test them both with the C-700, will also test HS and hss against each other. Will post link once it’s up. :-)

You may want to start a new thread (instead of this one) to showcase your testing assessment and analysis with these comparisons... I'm sure it would be very beneficial to those who'd be interested... Thanks in advance, Paul!!!

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
fotopaul
390 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Sep 28, 2017 09:10 as a reply to airbutchie's post |  #62

Hi Butch, sure will do. We might even get our hands on the A1 as well. It will be posted on my blog, and ill make sure to post in a new thread. :-)

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Sep 28, 2017 15:24 |  #63

fotopaul wrote in post #18462092 (external link)
Hi Butch, sure will do. We might even get our hands on the A1 as well. It will be posted on my blog, and ill make sure to post in a new thread. :-)

Sounds like a plan... I was able to borrow one for a fashion event tonight, here in LA... I'll take it through its paces and see what it can produce... There won't be any scientific test or anything like that... I just want to use it like I would with my Canon 580EXII... With that said, here's an iPhone snapshot of it... I'll let y'all know what I liked and didn't like about it....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Hi. My name is Butch...

fotopaul
390 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Sep 28, 2017 18:00 |  #64

Nice Butch!

As a speedlight im sure it's nice, not as innovative as they want to make it but nice im sure. The flashtube is not circular as i suspected, the reflector and the plastic fresnel lens makes for a more round pattern then a standard rectangular speedlight. But this could in theory be done with any speedlight, with the penalty of less output of course due to the extra fresnel lens and adapter from rectangular to circular.

How much difference does this round head makes ? At this size, with these modifiers, on camera etc ? Enough to call it a studio light.. not by a long stretch. :-)

So it's not a game changer, it's a simply a speedlight that works with profoto strobes, and probably quite a good one.

Still the reliability in terms of TTL Compatibility will still not be on par with proprietary flashes from respective brand.

Blog (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 28, 2017 22:34 |  #65

fotopaul wrote in post #18462406 (external link)
Still the reliability in terms of TTL Compatibility will still not be on par with proprietary flashes from respective brand.

Possibly not for Canon and Nikon, though Profoto are collaborating directly with Sony, Fuji, and Olympus, so they should be getting some solid results with those platforms at least.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

fotopaul
390 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Sep 28, 2017 23:39 |  #66

elv wrote in post #18462524 (external link)
Possibly not for Canon and Nikon, though Profoto are collaborating directly with Sony, Fuji, and Olympus, so they should be getting some solid results with those platforms at least.

Should probably the other way around, as current profoto TTL shooters is 99% canon/Nikon :-)

Blog (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Sep 29, 2017 11:00 |  #67

fotopaul wrote in post #18462406 (external link)
Nice Butch! As a speedlight im sure it's nice, not as innovative as they want to make it but nice im sure. The flashtube is not circular as i suspected, the reflector and the plastic fresnel lens makes for a more round pattern then a standard rectangular speedlight. But this could in theory be done with any speedlight, with the penalty of less output of course due to the extra fresnel lens and adapter from rectangular to circular.

How much difference does this round head makes ? At this size, with these modifiers, on camera etc ? Enough to call it a studio light.. not by a long stretch. :-)

So it's not a game changer, it's a simply a speedlight that works with profoto strobes, and probably quite a good one. Still the reliability in terms of TTL Compatibility will still not be on par with proprietary flashes from respective brand.

The A1 build is definitely up-to-par with all the other Profoto products on the market; robust and solid overall feel... The circular flash head seems like it filled the models thoroughly with little to no drop-off... More so as dusk rolled into the outdoor runway platform... I was actually shooting the runway with the A1 bare-bulbed... With that said, my RRS portraiture setup with a 10" high flash extender helped with reducing background shadows while creating a more pleasing illumination than shooting the flash straight at the models... Similar to the setup below with the flash extender being straight up and the Canon 580EXII speedlight being the Profoto A1...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5018/5517448328_5b1aae3c88_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/9pyn​as] (external link)Product Photography [EXPLORED] (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

So my setup was a 1DX + 50L + Profoto A1 mounted on an RRS portraiture mount with a 10" high flash extender... No modifiers used... Here's a few examples below from last night's event:

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

So my initial assessment with using the Profoto A1 for this event... The illumination was good in conjunction with the TTL configuration... The changing outdoor lighting situation (day to dusk to night) was a bit challenging, but it handled it well with the shift in colors (both natural and the several store front's flourescent lighting displays)... There was no drop off in power when firing 3-4 quick bursts with my 1DX... Something that my Canon 580EXII couldn't really do... So would I buy one as a single strobe to replace my speedlight when shooting an event like this? Probably not... Would I buy one to use if I was able to use my B1's (or any other Profoto strobe) as a collective way to illuminate the runway models for this event? For sure... That's where I personally think this product will shine... Like I mentioned before, if you already are invested in Profoto products (B1's, B2's, D1's, D2's) the A1 will be a wonderful and thorough compliment to your strobing system... Otherwise, save your money and use your camera's name brand speedlight or 3rd party brand...

Hi. My name is Butch...

F2Bthere
750 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 29, 2017 11:12 |  #68

airbutchie wrote in post #18462788 (external link)
The A1 build is definitely up-to-par with all the other Profoto products on the market; robust and solid overall feel... The circular flash head seems like it filled the models thoroughly with little to no drop-off... More so as dusk rolled into the outdoor runway platform... I was actually shooting the runway with the A1 bare-bulbed... With that said, my RRS portraiture setup with a 10" high flash extender helped with reducing background shadows while creating a more pleasing illumination than shooting the flash straight at the models... Similar to the setup below with the flash extender being straight up and the Canon 580EXII speedlight being the Profoto A1...

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/9pyn​as] (external link)Product Photography [EXPLORED] (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

So my setup was a 1DX + 50L + Profoto A1 mounted on an RRS portraiture mount with a 10" high flash extender... No modifiers used... Here's a few examples below from last night's event:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by airbutchie in
./showthread.php?p=184​62788&i=i212024533
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by airbutchie in
./showthread.php?p=184​62788&i=i174619771
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

So my initial assessment with using the Profoto A1 for this event... The illumination was good in conjunction with the TTL configuration... The changing outdoor lighting situation (day to dusk to night) was a bit challenging, but it handled it well with the shift in colors (both natural and the several store front's flourescent lighting displays)... There was no drop off in power when firing 3-4 quick bursts with my 1DX... Something that my Canon 580EXII couldn't really do... So would I buy one as a single strobe to replace my speedlight when shooting an event like this? Probably not... Would I buy one to use if I was able to use my B1's (or any other Profoto strobe) as a collective way to illuminate the runway models for this event? For sure... That's where I personally think this product will shine... Like I mentioned before, if you already are invested in Profoto products (B1's, B2's, D1's, D2's) the A1 will be a wonderful and thorough compliment to your strobing system... Otherwise, save your money and use your camera's name brand speedlight or 3rd party brand...

I appreciate the write up.

Don't mean to nit-pick, but this unit can't really be used "bare bulb." There is always a lens over the bulb, just as with a speedlight. You can certainly use it "without a modifier attached."

The reason this distinction matters is that a bare bulb gives a 360degree spread of light and the quality of illumination is significantly different. It is more like a point source (generally with lots of bounce indoors).

The Godox 200 has a bare-bulb option if you switch to that head. The Godox 360 and Quantum (and earlier Sunpack 120j) provide this option. Moving to battery powered, the Elinchrom Ranger has a bare bulb.

Profoto has decided to cover bulbs in the B1 and B2 units. And most speedlights, including the A1, cover the bulb and add a lens to focus power.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Sep 29, 2017 11:18 as a reply to F2Bthere's post |  #69

Noted!!! In retrospect, maybe I should've used one of the modifiers... Hopefully I'll be able to do that if I can get my hands on it for a second time... Hehe... Thanks for your input!!!

ߘ

Hi. My name is Butch...

F2Bthere
750 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 29, 2017 11:24 |  #70

airbutchie wrote in post #18462799 (external link)
Noted!!! In retrospect, maybe I should've used one of the modifiers... Hopefully I'll be able to do that if I can get my hands on it for a second time... Hehe... Thanks for your input!!!

ߘ

I'm more interested in without modifiers, as you did.

Once you add modifiers, there is far less that differentiates light sources. Not to say nothing--color consistency, ability to fill the modifier well (bare bulb is better for this), etc--but these issues are of less relative consequence.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

fotopaul
390 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been edited 2 months ago by fotopaul.
Sep 29, 2017 14:06 |  #71

F2Bthere wrote in post #18462796 (external link)
Profoto has decided to cover bulbs in the B1 and B2 units. And most speedlights, including the A1, cover the bulb and add a lens to focus power.

As a side note, the recessed tube of the B1/B2 might look good, but it really limits the angle light spreads. Meaning that for example, the coverage in a Deep Umbrella is far from optimal with Profotos own strobes.

Blog (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Sep 29, 2017 15:44 |  #72

One more capture... This time with model Ava Capri...

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4432/23544932868_40888bcb2f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BSzW​fq] (external link)Absolutely Ava... (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

1DX + 50L + Profoto A1...

;)

Hi. My name is Butch...

fotopaul
390 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Sep 30, 2017 10:30 |  #73

It seems to me that the A1 is performing very well as a speedlight, from what i'v gathered from users reports like your's the one benefit over other speedlights is it's ability to not recycle and not overheat.

I'v tested a Phottix Indra pack to Nikon speedlight and while it's ready to recycle almost instantly the flash would overheat quite fast if i where to push it. I suspect the ceramic in the A1 combined with it's low output is beneficial to it's ability to keeping up with higher frame rate. Not sure how many flashes it can handle at full power, did you test that ?

Blog (external link)

Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 30, 2017 22:19 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #74

IMO, for a thousand dollars, the standard should be a hell of a lot higher than "performing well as a speedlight."

Nikon D800/D750/FE and Olympus E-M5 shooter
flickr (external link)

fotopaul
390 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 01, 2017 02:09 |  #75

Daggah wrote in post #18463702 (external link)
IMO, for a thousand dollars, the standard should be a hell of a lot higher than "performing well as a speedlight."

Well imo both yes and no, my issue isn't really with the price tag per se, but how Profoto and their ambassadors tout this as a studio light and not a speedlight. (not to mention all the unique feature which already exist on the market)

For professionals, the investment isn't really an issue if it's a tool you will be using frequently and it actually makes your job easier.

For hobbyist and people who don't own any other Profoto gear this certainly a very expensive speedlight.

But let's not forget that Canon, Nikon's and Sony's Speedlights isn't cheap by any means either, their cost quite a lot if you measure dollars per ws.

Blog (external link)

sponsored links

63,371 views & 56 likes for this thread
Alleged Leak - Profoto new product
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.