Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 14 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 03:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Local studio , senior pictures some on train tracks...

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 16, 2017 17:55 |  #16

Send them these links...

http://abc13.com ...-struck-by-train/1801753/ (external link)

https://www.up.com ...fie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm (external link)

http://www.mirror.co.u​k ...n-mum-girl-killed-6669646 (external link)

https://www.yahoo.com ...death-very-060038930.html (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
KDPIV
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 26, 2017 13:39 |  #17

is the railroad route still in use?

One photographer and a dream

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,937 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 26, 2017 14:04 |  #18

I am of the opinion people need to mind their own business. I have done shots on tracks with seniors too, but a) I am very careful and b) I work for the railroad that operates that track, and c) I know the schedules, and d) when I hear a whistle, we are off the track beyond the easement space. The trains have to blow the whistles in town as they approach crossings, and you can hear them well in advance.

I would be more than upset if somebody felt their own urge to "warn" others when they are not involved, nor have a dog in the proverbial fight, nor would know the context of the shot.

Yes there are those that are not so careful or are affiliated with the track space, but eve I as a parent, if a photographer was doing that with my kids, would have some things to say and also would be part of the shoot to make sure everything was safe during the exercise. Parents, students and photographers need to be very involved in what they do collectively, but others do not need to be. Also if adults behave in a way that endangers them or even kills them, there isn't much that can be done to change their minds.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

kmilo
131 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Sep 26, 2017 14:20 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18460896 (external link)
people need to mind their own business ... as a parent, if a photographer was doing that with my kids, would have some things to say.

Respectfully, if I see people (especially youth) doing something illegal and dangerous, I too will have something to say ... whether or not it's my child being photographed.

Kris
I can barely afford this hobby

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,937 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 26, 2017 23:18 as a reply to kmilo's post |  #20

Taking pictures on a track are neither of those without you making assumptions. If you are physically there and see dangerous behavior is one thing, but seeing pictures of something after the fact is another, and involves you coming to a conclusion of your own making without knowing the situation, which is part of the definition of being a busy body. There are ways to safely and legally have pictures using a track.

kmilo
131 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by kmilo. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 27, 2017 06:07 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18461188 (external link)
Taking pictures on a track are neither of those without you making assumptions. If you are physically there and see dangerous behavior is one thing, but seeing pictures of something after the fact is another, and involves you coming to a conclusion of your own making without knowing the situation, which is part of the definition of being a busy body. There are ways to safely and legally have pictures using a track.

Fair enough. My thought process and responses to this thread are both referring to seeing someone on the tracks taking photos. And in that case, it's worth it to me to stop and talk to them, even though it won't be received well. Likewise, if you (or anyone else) see teenagers taking photos on tracks, I hope you'd stop and ask questions. Who knows, it might be my teenager and you might save his/her life. It never hurts to talk to people.

Kris
I can barely afford this hobby

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,937 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 27, 2017 06:30 |  #22

Definitely if you see something in real live with context behind it, stop and talk to them. Pictures are just a snapshot in time, with no context behind it because you don't know what permission was obtained, etc. I take pictures of the trains for an annual calendar, and know the devastation they hold. However again, there are people that are safe in their photography and have contacts that provide permission for various activities, and to assume from a photo someone is being careless is just an assumption.

There is an allure of trains and the tracks due to geometry/symmetry and history and culture, but that has to be tempered with care. It is fun subject material for photography.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from TeamSpeed's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from TeamSpeed's gallery.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 27, 2017 08:06 |  #23

mtbdudex wrote in post #18453515 (external link)
Look at these from past 2-3 months and judge yourself.
Shiny tracks, in front of a moving train, mom & baby, older couple .... hmmm.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by mtbdudex in
./showthread.php?p=184​53515&i=i31429448
forum: The Lounge

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by mtbdudex in
./showthread.php?p=184​53515&i=i56947711
forum: The Lounge

"In front of a moving train"..............really? . I sure don't see a moving train in either of the two pictures in that post.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,937 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 27, 2017 09:08 |  #24

There could be a train in the background, hard to tell with the edits. However the assumptions are again that they are moving. Many times trains sit on tracks as they add onto the back of them as they can go 150 cars (or perhaps longer now), and it takes time to build up the train at a terminal. You cannot tell what is happening, what permission was given (it is more difficult these days to get permission, but if you have access to a terminal, it helps), and so it is easy to draw a conclusion. That is what photography is all about, after all.

mtbdudex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
SE Michigan
Post has been edited 23 days ago by mtbdudex.
Sep 29, 2017 15:50 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18461324 (external link)
"In front of a moving train"..............really? . I sure don't see a moving train in either of the two pictures in that post.

Look at post 12, it’s the photo studios own words ....

I’m “done” here, the local Michigan Operation Lifesaver will contact them and explain

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

sponsored links

1,513 views & 10 likes for this thread
Local studio , senior pictures some on train tracks...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.