Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 03 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 20:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

masters degree in photography

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jan 05, 2015 07:11 |  #16

AlFooteIII wrote in post #17366970external link
It's also a necessity for jobs in academia, museums or high-end galleries, and the like. Much like other fine arts degrees, it won't make you a better artist, but it will give you exposure (pardon the pun) to ideas and concepts you might not find on your own which would help you to teach others.

Agree and it will also give you an environment where you are also with other creative people on a similar mission and the space, if in the right program, to help you find who you are as a photographer. I grew more in 4 years when working on my B/A both technically and more important visually than at any time of my 25 + year career. And I know I wouldn't be as successful both with my personal work and my professional career if not for the knowledge I received.

sponsored links
varun08
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 30, 2017 05:31 |  #17

what is good school to start masters or pgdp for photography in toronto ?????????

Pippan
523 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Sep 30, 2017 05:41 |  #18

varun08 wrote in post #18463275 (external link)
what is good school to start masters or pgdp for photography in toronto ?????????

If I lived in Toronto I'd sell my house or whatever it took to enrol in the Phil Marion School of Worldwide Landscape and Urban Photography!

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,319 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 30, 2017 09:29 |  #19

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17366056 (external link)
No big surprise. To many today in the west argue for ignorance. No wonder we keep falling farther and farther behind others that put a real value on knowledge.

This is truly funny. Here is your 3rd grade English teacher's correction:

Too many today in the west argue for ignorance. No wonder we keep falling further and further behind others who put a real value on knowledge.

I do realize the who/that line is becoming blurred. It just sounds funny to refer to people as objects.

Tom

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,319 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Bassat.
Sep 30, 2017 09:48 |  #20

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17366468 (external link)
Well, there is a long list of great photographers that were well educated and many of those also taught photography on the college level.

A graduate degree in art or photography is really for self growth as an artist and should be approached as such.

AlFooteIII wrote in post #17366970 (external link)
It's also a necessity for jobs in academia, museums or high-end galleries, and the like. Much like other fine arts degrees, it won't make you a better artist, but it will give you exposure (pardon the pun) to ideas and concepts you might not find on your own which would help you to teach others.

Advanced degrees are not designed to impart specific knowledge to the candidate. They are primarily designed to allow the candidate to demonstrate the ability to think deeply and discover or compile new data and/or new ways of thinking about a specific aspect of the chosen field. The general test for a graduate level degree is to create and defend a thesis, which is new research/data/thinking in the chosen field.

I've done two of these on the undergraduate level, I'll not do this on a graduate level. One for a BS Chemistry degree, the other for a BS Nursing degree. The first covers the then (1992) relatively new concept of Quadrapole Magnetic Resonance, and its scientific/medical potential. That one predates the internet. The second is published (see pp. 113-120) here: https://www.iusb.edu ...20URJ%20final%20col​or.pdf (external link)

Tom

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,066 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 30, 2017 10:56 |  #21

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
My Dad went here. It seemed to be good enough to shoot fashion for Dior, sports for SI, and a photojournalism career with a major newspaper. A career which included several awards and a Pulitzer.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 30, 2017 11:13 |  #22

nqjudo wrote in post #17364668 (external link)
I know a couple of people who have degrees in film, video and photography from the Polytechnic of Central London but unfortunately I believe the school no longer exists.

Seeing this thread come back up, I just thought I would say that PCL went on to become Westminster University, which is still very much around. When I left the RAF in 1992 I did a degree in Electronic Engineering, back then the higher education application process allowed you to apply for IIRC three "universities" and three "polytechnic colleges" both types of organisation being authorised to award degrees, but having different application systems. PCL was one of my Poly application choices, but I went with the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich, as it was my local university at the time. Important when you are a mature student with a young family, as I was at the time.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,164 views & 5 likes for this thread
masters degree in photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.