Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 23 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 23:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First B&W edit...C&C please

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 27, 2017 06:14 as a reply to post 18461135 |  #16

Picture 2.........nooooooo. :cry:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

sponsored links
Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 23 days ago by Kristine2514.
Sep 27, 2017 09:19 |  #17

rrblint...I really like picture one. Pleasing to the eye :-)

EOS 30D

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 22 days ago by kf095. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 27, 2017 13:57 |  #18

№12. With white on top cut off is fine.

For human like portraits in BW, check Jane Bown and Yousuf Karsh.
You could try free Nick's collection from google for BW conventions.

IMO.
The rest is... how girls are saying it... yeoou. Halloweenish. Where is nothing to like in over processing with degraded image quality.
IMO.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/527/32162457166_1b2a07bf3c_n.jpg

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Sep 28, 2017 10:24 |  #19

First things first - the image is flat and B&W rarely benefit from that. You decided to make a random image BW and the choice was wrong here :]

D***, some of the following edits in this thread. Please, stop. Overprocessed with plugins and necessary effects. It is perfectly allright to play with them at your leisure, but don't post them as legitimate suggestions ;]

And I am not even in a grumpy mood here.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Sep 28, 2017 11:35 |  #20

Olafs you're welcome to your opinon, but they are yours. Carry on and so shall we.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,029 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 28, 2017 11:48 |  #21

DagoImaging wrote in post #18462187 (external link)
Olafs you're welcome to your opinon, but they are yours. Carry on and so shall we.

+1

I think it's a beautiful photo and lots of fun to play with.

Mark

olafs ­ osh
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Sep 28, 2017 12:02 |  #22

Precisely. If my opinion is negative about overprocessing an image, it cannot voiced out? Do we now accept only positive critique now?

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by Kristine2514. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 28, 2017 12:36 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #23

I appreciate your input...I do very much enjoy other people's takes on my photo, as I'm new to editing and I find it fun to see what other people can do with it. I enjoy viewing them all. :-)

EOS 30D

rrblint
19,029 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 28, 2017 13:24 |  #24

olafs osh wrote in post #18462204 (external link)
Precisely. If my opinion is negative about overprocessing an image, it cannot voiced out? Do we now accept only positive critique now?

Did Dago or I say that you weren't welcome to opinion? Of course not, we just expressed our own opinion.

Mark

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Sep 28, 2017 14:22 |  #25

olafs osh wrote in post #18462204 (external link)

No, you can comment anything you like.

I would not have made my post if you weren't speaking authoritatively and as fact. The only fact is your opinion is your opinion only and doesn't make your right by default.

There are many styles of images and if they don't suit your taste, that is fine. Feel free to comment but do so knowing it's still only your opinion and not fact.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

olafs ­ osh
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Sep 29, 2017 02:50 |  #26

Hah, right in the feels, right in the feels!

What does "C&C" stand for in this thread's subject? I stated, that the newcomer should not consider other takes on the image as suggestions "how it should be", because, yes-in-my-opinion they are mostly overprocessed images, which do not benefit the image itself, nor the learning process.

Now you guys got all worked up, because you like your own creations and somebody said they ain't good. Come on. "Comment and Critique", Sirs, "Comment and Critique". The thing, that you like your own edit, doesn't make it good - The Fact.

Of course, everybody is welcome to post "My take on this" comments - why not. I just pointed to the OP, that, in this particular thread, they should not be considered as advice how to do things. That was the second point. In the first one, as you surely remember, I said why most likely it won't succeed - image is on the flat side.

- Olafs Osh

rrblint
19,029 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 30, 2017 11:19 |  #27

Olafs you are blowing this thing waaay out of proportion. No one said that you couldn't C&C here. I get it: you don't like the photo and you don't like the edits that have been presented as possible interpretations of the photo. I GET IT. You have expressed your opinion and that is great. Another "fact" to be considered is the fact that: Just because you say the photo and the edits are not good doesn't make it so either.

I happen to disagree with you. I think that the picture is lovely and the edits presented so far(yes I have more!:-)) are excellent. These edits were provided merely to show the OP some ideas of what COULD be done with the photo, not what she SHOULD do with the photo. Unlike you however I will stop short of advising the OP to consider or not consider a particular editing style or idea that she may have to apply to the photo. She is free to edit as she chooses and so far at least, with the exception of my third post, she seems to like the edits that Dago and I have made.

Mark

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Oct 09, 2017 20:24 |  #28

For me the eye position and set of the mouth suggest the model is disgusted. Someone has kicked her puppy, is trying to rationalize the action, and she is having none of it.. Given that, I want a moderately gritty result from processing and a crop that leaves room for the her disdainful gaze.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 10, 2017 15:37 as a reply to AZGeorge's post |  #29

That makes sense, the grittiness. If you look at the difference between the first photo I posted and then the second one that I converted to B&W, I had edited a few things with the second one and tried to make her mouth look a little less "frowny". I couldn't do too much to change it though

EOS 30D

rrblint
19,029 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Oct 12, 2017 12:30 |  #30

AZGeorge wrote in post #18469392 (external link)
For me the eye position and set of the mouth suggest the model is disgusted. Someone has kicked her puppy, is trying to rationalize the action, and she is having none of it.. Given that, I want a moderately gritty result from processing and a crop that leaves room for the her disdainful gaze.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by AZGeorge in
./showthread.php?p=184​69392&i=i228036514
forum: Critique Corner

Very interesting take. I like it.

Mark

sponsored links

1,189 views & 23 likes for this thread
First B&W edit...C&C please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.