Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 14:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Switching from DSLR to mirrorless

JessicaJones215
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 30, 2017 14:26 |  #1

I've read a bunch of articles about the finer points of making switch, but what about real world experience. Has anyone made the switch? What do you like/dislike? I'm contemplating leaving Nikon for Sony.

sponsored links
JessicaJones215
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 30, 2017 14:27 |  #2

Also, if you did make the switch, did you keep your better lenses or get a Metabones for them?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 22 days ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 30, 2017 15:40 |  #3

What do you shoot mostly?

I find most changes in the shorter focal length shooting world to not be different enough to matter that much.
If you use a lot of lightning, specific stuff, Sony still has some challenges compared to Canikon (at least to me).
And if you're spending time at 400mm and longer, then there are compelling reasons to not switch yet.
So again, depends on what you're shooting.

What's making you want Sony? The body specifically, or just the sensor? What features? Which body exactly is luring you to it? Have you considered other mirrorless options?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,055 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 30, 2017 15:46 |  #4

I'm not looking to switch but am definitely looking to add a Sony to the camera bag along with the metabones adapter so I can keep my Canon lenses. I'm specifically looking for the better sensor but as you already have a Nikon so you have the option of getting a camera with the Exmor sensor, I'm not sure what the switch will buy you other than a bit less size and weight

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mike_d
Goldmember
4,977 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 30, 2017 16:15 |  #5

You definitely need to define your goals before doing anything expensive. You can't cheat physics so be sure you're comparing apples to apples in terms of weight, focal length, aperture, and ISO performance. 100mm, f/2.8, ISO 800 on full frame is NOT the same as 50mm, f/2.8, ISO 800 on micro 4/3rd. If you like large apertures (especially zooms) and long focal lengths, the size/weight advantages of mirrorless begin to evaporate.

I owned a Fuji XT-1 and a couple of lenses last spring. I bought it to test the mirrorless waters. It's a nice little camera and much more compact than my 5D3 when paired with short primes or slower, shorter zooms. But it couldn't replace my 5D3 when the shooting got tougher. So like I said up top, you need to really know how/what you're shooting and what results you expect before spending your money.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Sep 30, 2017 22:36 |  #6

Going from Canon 6D/60D to a7r/a6000 was a big change. I bought an a6000 kit while I was still shooting Canon to make sure I liked it. After about two weeks, I knew Sony was what I wanted to shoot.

The Zeiss 55 1.8 was the only e-mount lens I bought, as the 16-50pz came with my a6000. . That Zeiss really is fantastic and it immediately replaced my Sigma 50 1.4 Art as the workhorse.

I went with MBIV to adapt my 135L and 200 2.8Lii, but it wouldn't focus track at all. The 200 wouldn't lock on a subject with the a7r. This was a setback, but I shifted gears.

I sold my remaining EF mount glass, along with the MBIV, and bought and LA-EA4 and a Minolta 200 2.8 HS on the advice of some Sony shooters on a different forum. It focused fast on both bodies, but again, no tracking. I sold the LA-EA4 and bought an A77 cheap--impressive older crop body. I was so impressed with the Minolta /a77 combo That I upgraded to an A77ii when I found one under $700 refurbished.

The 70-200 2.8 GM didn't come out for another year, and I really wanted f2. 8. That I couldn't have what I wanted paired with my blazing fast a6000 AF was disappointing, and it limited my plans for the a6000 going forward.

I eventually sold all my e-mount stuff and the a77ii when an a99ii came up for sale cheap at B&H. It was tough to give up that ultimate portability/IQ powerhouse of the a7r/55 1.8. Glass drove my decision, as I had bought a 24/2 and 135 1.8 for dirt cheap awhile back.

I don't love carrying a conventional DSLR-style body as my workhorse body, but no adapters and incredible IQ/AF/handling makes me happy.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Oct 02, 2017 08:46 |  #7

I kind of consider a rangefinder mirrorless. In 2012 I bought a Leica M Monochrom and a 35mm 1.4 Summilux FLE asph to shoot my personal work with. I knew that I see natural at a 35mm FoV on FF and I had that I tend to see in B&W so it seemed like a good fit. I had no idea that it would be as good as it was.

I have been a full time professional for 30+ years and I shoot commercial/advertising which does require color which I had been using mostly Canon equipment since 2005. I found that shooting with Leica's (true rangefinders) really fit the way I see and work so a couple of years ago I sold my Canon gear and picked up a used M-E and a new M 262.

I really thought that i would miss some of the lenses, especially my 200 2L. But I don't miss any of it at all.

I just picked up a couple of moths ago the new M 10 and I can say this that the Leica M 10 is the finest 135 (FF) or crop format digital camera that i have ever shot with. I have completely switched from DSLR to Leica M for my personal work (which is mostly shot with the MM and 35 Lux FLE) and for my pro work and I have only one regret that I didn't do it sooner.

For me all the automation and direction Nicanon were both moving in it made Leica M a no brainer for me. Many that want those things like auto focus and auto everything will probably not like that shooting experience because for one thing there is a learning curve. But to those like me there is truly nothing like it.

Before I did invest so heavily I did try many of the other mirrorless options and I bought Leica M because it best fit with the way I see and work. The glass is insane.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by mystik610. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 02, 2017 08:52 |  #8

My first mirrorless body was the original a7r, which I picked up because I wanted a camera to use alongside my dslr's (5DIII) at the time, without giving up image quality. Paired with smaller lenses, it fulfilled that role and I've been very happy with the a7 series for casual shooting. The interesting thing is that the sensor quality of the a7r was so much better than my 5DIII that I found myself using the a7r more frequently than my 5DIII at the time.

We've gotten to the point, however, where mirrorless bodies offer distinct performance advantages over DSLR's, and I've gone full on mirrorless for my paid work as well. As a portrait, wedding/event photographer, Eye AF, exposure preview, AF accuracy, are big reasons why I prefer mirrorless bodies over DSLR's for paid photography as well.

The beauty of the a7 series though is that you can have both a compact set-up and a very robust 'serious' set-up all within the same system....no need to maintain two systems. What people say about the physics of full frame glass is true in a lot of aspects, but for the wide, ultra wide, and normal focal lengths that most people use when shooting casually, there are plenty of compact, but high optical options out there. The latter point is key because a lot of compact DSLR lenses are not so great optically.

For paid shooting, all of the really fast aperture and long lenses I need are available, and with regards to the a9, the AF with adapted lenses has gotten to the point where it works well for serious shooting. Sony recently added eye AF with adapted glass which is a big win for me. Of course the size advantages are gone once I start using these longer lenses, but again, there are distinct upsides to mirrorless bodies that have me preferring mirrorless bodies over DSLR's for reasons that have nothing to do with size.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

JessicaJones215
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 02, 2017 11:09 as a reply to mickeyb105's post |  #9

Thanks! I was actually looking at switching from the D810 to the a99ii. I'll rent one for a weekend and see how I feel.

JessicaJones215
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 02, 2017 11:11 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #10

I was looking at the a99ii as a switch. Sony's reputation for mirrorless seems to be the top of the game.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,977 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 02, 2017 11:17 |  #11

JessicaJones215 wrote in post #18464545 (external link)
Thanks! I was actually looking at switching from the D810 to the a99ii. I'll rent one for a weekend and see how I feel.

I don't think a weekend is enough to really understand a new system. If at all possible, buy a used one and use it every day for a couple of months. First impressions can be very misleading, either good or bad. If you buy at a good price, it will cost you very little should you decide to sell it. I call this "renting from the forums".

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 02, 2017 11:21 |  #12

A99II isn't technically mirrorless, though it does has an on sensor PDAF system and EVF and behaves like one.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Oct 03, 2017 03:41 |  #13

I have a 1D3 and now a M5 but haven't technically "switched" as they both have their uses.
Love the small form-factor of the M5 & 18-150mm, but find the 1D3 is a better camera in almost everything except video (1D3 doesn't do video)
M5 gets used when I can't (or won't) carry the weight/size of the 1D3, and the 1D3 gets used when I can.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Oct 05, 2017 22:53 as a reply to JessicaJones215's post |  #14

If you wanted to stay with Nikon, the D850 looks pretty good and comparable in a lot of ways to the a99ii.

Like Mystik said, the a99ii isn't a true mirrorless body, even though it behaves like one in certain regards. Although larger than the Sony mirrorless line, it is slightly smaller than the D8x0 line.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Drums
44 posts
Joined Jun 2016
Galway Ireland
Oct 06, 2017 04:52 |  #15

Just out of interest why doesn't the D850 appeal to you? As far as I am aware the A99ii as stated before isn't a mirrorless sized camera (eg. the A7rii), It uses the older A mount lenses compared to the E-mount and I think it isn't compatable with lens adaptors so you cant use your nikon lenses. also the A mount has a poor lens selection, and 3rd party manufacturers like Tamron and sigma don't make A mount lenses anymore they concentrate on the Sony E mount.

sponsored links

1,137 views & 15 likes for this thread
Switching from DSLR to mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.