Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 28 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 16:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Zion National Park - Subway

la_ricecooker
222 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Pasadena, California
Sep 28, 2017 16:34 |  #1

I will be attempting to photograph the Zion Subway with a medium format camera - facing down river. I will need to rent an UWA for this one.

To comfortably get the entire left "rib" (the curve part) and the entire right pool of the Subway, what focal length should I have prepared (in 35mm terms)? I have attached an approximate photo of what I'm referring to.

*Photo was taken from the Zion National Park site - https://www.nps.gov ...anyourvisit/thesubw​ay.htm (external link)

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments and suggestions.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

First three Canon 5Ds. Some lights (some really fancy ones too). Some glass (maybe a few too many but who's keeping track?). Some cool stamps on my passport.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,504 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 29, 2017 08:03 |  #2

Do you have any dimensions of what you want to photograpn and distance from your camera setup? That would enable a calculation. Otherwise see http://www.firefallpho​tography.com/5958-2/ (external link) and http://www.nicodebarmo​re.com ...andard_products/zio​n-book (external link) which will take you to the link to purchase a book on Zion photography. The link is referenced in the firefallphotography link but is broken.

Also some good tips at https://www.citrusmilo​.com/zionguide/photogr​aphy.cfm (external link). Just note that there are three pages.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 29, 2017 15:08 |  #3

That shot taken with Kodak CX7430, which has 34mm as its widest 35mm equivalent FL.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

la_ricecooker
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Pasadena, California
Sep 30, 2017 14:08 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #4

John from PA

Thank you for the help. I appreciate the research.

Bill

First three Canon 5Ds. Some lights (some really fancy ones too). Some glass (maybe a few too many but who's keeping track?). Some cool stamps on my passport.

la_ricecooker
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Pasadena, California
Sep 30, 2017 14:11 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #5

Wilt -

Your knowledge is freakishly awesome. I don't know how you KNEW that but THANK YOU.

Okay then. No need to rent. I can cover 34mm.

Bill

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,504 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 2 months ago by John from PA.
Sep 30, 2017 14:23 |  #6

la_ricecooker wrote in post #18463489 (external link)
Wilt -

Your knowledge is freakishly awesome. I don't know how you KNEW that but THANK YOU.

Right click the image > Save As > then open in a photo editor and examine the Exif.

By the way, more photos at https://www.nps.gov ...tm?q=zion%20subway&​o=date (external link):D:L:d1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

la_ricecooker
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Pasadena, California
Sep 30, 2017 15:16 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #7

Yeah. I just fell asleep behind the wheel on that one. I should have remembered that technique.

Happy Saturday to you.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Sep 30, 2017 20:36 |  #8

la_ricecooker wrote in post #18462364 (external link)
I will be attempting to photograph the Zion Subway with a medium format camera - facing down river. I will need to rent an UWA for this one.

To comfortably get the entire left "rib" (the curve part) and the entire right pool of the Subway, what focal length should I have prepared (in 35mm terms)? I have attached an approximate photo of what I'm referring to.

*Photo was taken from the Zion National Park site - https://www.nps.gov ...anyourvisit/thesubw​ay.htm (external link)

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments and suggestions.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by la_ricecooker in
./showthread.php?p=184​62364&i=i87738613
forum: Nature & Landscapes Talk

I've never shot the Subway, but I've seen countless photos from this location. The photo you link seems very "cramped" compared to other comps I've seen from this location. I really think a FOV wider than 35mm would be beneficial, particularly if you want to include a FG interest, which in my opinion is really what separates the humdrum from the shots that really sing from this location. A quick search of Flickr for Zion and Subway shows a large number of shots. I really tend to like those taken at around 16 mm or so.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

la_ricecooker
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Pasadena, California
Oct 01, 2017 01:00 as a reply to Bcaps's post |  #9

Bcaps -

Flickr. Talk about insightful suggestions. Wow. That was fricking awesome.

Thank you. I think you just put me over the top on helpful suggestions.

Cheers.

Bill

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Oct 01, 2017 10:56 |  #10

la_ricecooker wrote in post #18463759 (external link)
Bcaps -

Flickr. Talk about insightful suggestions. Wow. That was fricking awesome.

Thank you. I think you just put me over the top on helpful suggestions.

Cheers.

Bill

You're welcome. Based on your question you looked like you could use all the help you could get.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Oct 01, 2017 11:51 |  #11

John from PA wrote in post #18463499 (external link)
Right click the image > Save As > then open in a photo editor and examine the Exif.

But examining the EXIF merely disclosed the fact that the real FL is 5mm...which tells you nothing about the effective FL.
I merely looked up specs on the CX7430 (after EXIF showed that was the camera used for the shot) and discovered the widest '35mm equiv' FL for that camera

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

620 views & 3 likes for this thread
Zion National Park - Subway
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.