Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 19 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 19:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Putting rokinon 14 (or 24) lens in checked luggage?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 19, 2017 19:19 |  #1

I keep toying with the idea of just diving in and getting one of these lenses for astro. Given that I'll be in NZ for a while, in some of the darkest areas, AND the opportunity to see the night sky from a less common perspective (southern hemisphere...), I feel like I should make sure I have an appropriately lens to capture great photos.

As such, buying one of the rokinon focal lengths would be used 99.9999% for astro only.

Due to space and weight constraints, I don't really think I have the opportunity to bring this with me in CARRY ON. On the one hand it'd be the cheapest lens in my setup, but it's still not peanuts.

Has anyone put this in checked luggage? If it fits I could put it in my sigma 35 1.4 art "padded case", or wrap it in bubble wrap, or whatever else. I am likely to believe that one random lens in my luggage would be acceptable at least against theft concerns. It doesn't have autofocus, but any concerns about knocking the optics in transport?

Should I just bite the bullet, get it and put it in my checked luggage? Or reconsider?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 21, 2017 09:13 |  #2

K so I don't actually HAVE the 14mm yet, but am looking to buy one... used.

Given the concerns around quality/copy variance, any advice for buying and testing out this lens to make sure it's a good/acceptable copy?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct 01, 2017 22:07 |  #3

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18456139 (external link)

Due to space and weight constraints, I don't really think I have the opportunity to bring this with me in CARRY ON. On the one hand it'd be the cheapest lens in my setup, but it's still not peanuts...............

why not carry-on ?

I always carry my camera bag as carry-on ... a 5D3 or the 6D, 70-200mm, 24-105 and the 14mm Samyang and a few other bits and pieces
carry all my flight/travel info in there as well ... ohhh and some munchies for during the flight :-)

dunno if you have been to NZ yet
if not, enjoy your time in my homeland

cheers
Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Mike Deep. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 01, 2017 22:43 |  #4

Lenses and cameras always get carried on. Doesn't matter if its a bargain bin Pentax-K 50mm or a big white Canon telephoto. For all practical considerations, the TSA and the airline baggage handlers are above accountability to passengers, and consequently, they are thieves.

I know this is not always the case. Also, I don't care. If you have something stolen, there is nothing you can do. It's simply not worth the risk.

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

renaissance_myth
705 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Singapore
Oct 02, 2017 00:16 |  #5

have checked in that particular lens before and no issues, but like Mike mentioned there is always a risk.

"Dear God, please let me master light"
my flickr (external link) account

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct 19, 2017 02:50 |  #6

Mike Deep wrote in post #18464292 (external link)
Lenses and cameras always get carried on. Doesn't matter if its a bargain bin Pentax-K 50mm or a big white Canon telephoto. For all practical considerations, the TSA and the airline baggage handlers are above accountability to passengers, and consequently, they are thieves.

I know this is not always the case. Also, I don't care. If you have something stolen, there is nothing you can do. It's simply not worth the risk.

Agreed, and the very rough handling

I would never check in a camera bag of gear

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links

456 views & 2 likes for this thread
Putting rokinon 14 (or 24) lens in checked luggage?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.