Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 27 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 10:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, reviewed by DAVMAN13

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND DAVMAN13 (showing now: DAVMAN13)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money7.5
Bokeh8
Sharpness9
Contrast8
Focusing8.5
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
photo by Unbalanced
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

DAVMAN13
Joined Nov 2014
Dec 27, 2015 10:05 |  #1

I bought this lens used and I love it. Works with my 7D and T3i well and it is always on my camera. I use it more than any of my lenses and the F2.8 is great when I am taking photos in my son's classrooms. Very sharp images. Colors are bright and and true. The IS is a must for me.

I am a dad that likes taking photos of my boys playing sports...and then other parents wanted some of their kids and so on. Please let me know what you think and what I could have done different. I love taking photos of sports, but want to get better..
Canon 7DII, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200 F4 IS, Canon 70-200 L f2.8 IS II, Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, Canon 300 f4 IS, Canon 85/1.8.

aojorda
Joined Oct 2012
Feb 04, 2016 07:07 |  #2

I use this lens almost exclusively as well. It's a great lens for many uses. I use it for landscape and sports photos.

hansmatt
23 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Mar 04, 2016 12:29 as a reply to aojorda's post |  #3

I also love this lens...it is my all-around. After shooting with a friends 17-40 you do see a difference in build, and a little in the glass/image, however I sure like the 2.8 and IS

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,586 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Mar 06, 2016 12:25 |  #4

I also love this lens and have been using my copy for years with no problems.

I shoot with this lens and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a pair of 7D cameras and love the combination. I usually average out to about 2/3 of my images shot with the 17-55mm and 1/3 with the 70-200L...

When I first read about the IS capability of this lens, I thought that IS capability was unnecessary on a lens of this focal length but, I soon changed my opinion. The combination of constant f/2.8 aperture and IS makes this my go-to medium focal length lens. It is a great low light lens as well as a super general purpose lens...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

ronniechef
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Kuching, Malaysia
Post has been edited 19 days ago by ronniechef.
Oct 02, 2017 02:06 |  #5

I m thinking of swapping my 17-40mm L with 17-55mm is 2.8 because I m using 7D camera...and reading lot of info in this forum with regard to this efs len...please advise.. I got my 17-40L...used.
..swapping with a college students

2,560 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, reviewed by DAVMAN13
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.