Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 01 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 23:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do You NEED To Clean Your Memory Card Contact Points?

david.g.photo84
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 01, 2017 23:15 |  #1

Just wondering because I was reading the 6D manual and it states to not touch your lens contact points or they may corrode, but does that apply to SD cards as well? I am not as cautious with handling my SD cards as I am when handling my lens, so I do come in contact with the contacts from time to time. I would just like to see if I should start cleaning my SD card with alcohol after touching the contacts.

Thank you,

David

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 02, 2017 08:35 |  #2

SD cards go through a "wiping" action as the contacts on the card slide into the slot on the body and hence don't need a physical cleaning. If something spilled on them then a cleaning with a soft cloth with some alcohol could be used. The SD card contacts are also not gold plated like the contacts on a camera body or lens mount.

I see by another post that you are using a 6D. Are you using direct wire connection to PC for transferring images or removing/reinserting the card?

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 02, 2017 09:44 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Thank you for the reply! I have not tried to connect the camera yet for file transfer and am only familiar with using an SD card. Is there a reason that I should use a wire connection instead of the SD card?

Thanks again!

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,489 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by RDKirk.
Oct 02, 2017 09:46 |  #4

If I somehow got some serious debris on the card contacts, like dropping the card in beef gravy, I'd clean it off with alcohol.

Short of that, as already mentioned the wiping action of inserting the card into a device keeps it clean enough.

SD contacts are not indestructible--they can be damaged by improper contact, and are really designed for only the kind of contact they get by inserting them properly into a device.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 02, 2017 09:50 |  #5

if i felt an sd card had corroded contact points, i would go buy another one and chuck the old one in the trash.

but I have never felt that, and certainly I have inadvertently touched the contact points.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

202 views & 1 like for this thread
Do You NEED To Clean Your Memory Card Contact Points?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.