Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 02 Oct 2017 (Monday) 12:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Everyone, please meet Squeaky.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,298 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 02, 2017 12:07 |  #1

I took my 19 year old cat to the vet today; he hasn't been himself for a few days. I half-expected bad news. I got it. Pancreatic cancer with apparent mets to the liver and likely thyroid. A few more minor problems added to the complications; liver and kidney function down. Squeaky had a really good life for 19 years. I love him. I will miss him until I die. This is my last photo of him, sitting in his favorite chair on the sun porch. Good bye, buddy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tom

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 02, 2017 12:16 |  #2

I'm so sorry, Tom. This is always hard as they are so innocent.

I'm kind of in the same situation as my boy Basenji is going to be 16 soon. He's fine but..........

:cry:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 02, 2017 12:24 |  #3

Our Sassy won't even make it to double digits I feel. We picked her up young from the SPCA and it seems she was already kicked or had a bad fall where her hip isn't good. Each year, she is in more pain, and once in a blue moon goes through a period of fits. The rest of the time she is playful and gets around great. At the point she is in more pain than not, and has a difficult time getting around at all, that will probably be the end. After Xrays and some visits, they don't see what they can do to fix the issue. They can see a healed buckle fracture in what would be her "elbow", but they don't know what they can do to permanently fix the situation. :(

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,298 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 02, 2017 12:27 |  #4

Thanks, guys. I just had to share with someone. My wife doesn't know yet. She'll be at work a few more hours. I appreciate your comments.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 02, 2017 12:29 |  #5

The best advice, I think, is to go through the period of mourning, but then go out and see what other pet needs a loving home and some adults to change his/her life for the better. It helps...

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,298 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 16 days ago by Bassat.
Oct 02, 2017 13:00 |  #6

Thanks. For what it is worth, I just had a very cathartic experience with him. I buried him. It has been really dry here, and I had to use a pick-axe to get 18" deep. I wrapped him in an old towel, kissed him twice, once for me and once for my wife (his Mom). Now it feels final.

If this is too much information, let me know, and I'll edit it out. Squeaky was always sitting in someone's lap. He would sit on someone he just met. Good boy. He was sitting on my lap when the vet came in to set him free. I started to get up. The doctor said, "No. No. He looks comfortable there." Squeaks left this world in one of his favorite spots - Dad's lap. He always was a good boy.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 02, 2017 13:12 |  #7

I see no reason why it would upset anyone. If it does, they have to deal with me. ;) It sounds like the best way to end a long life.

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,298 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 02, 2017 13:22 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18464641 (external link)
I see no reason why it would upset anyone. If it does, they have to deal with me. ;) It sounds like the best way to end a long life.

Thanks. I needed the chuckle. Yes, he had a good life. No medical problems until the last few days. 19 years is a long run for a housecat. A good life, loved while he was here, brought smiles to those he met, and left with dignity. He was loved, and will be missed. That is about the best you can say about any of us.

I lost a 7 year old cat to kidney disease earlier this year. I've got a 16 year old dog who basically sleeps all day. She won't last much longer. Its all good. You can't grieve for someone, or even a cat, you don't love. I just hate having to do it so damn often!

Tom

sponsored links

399 views & 6 likes for this thread
Everyone, please meet Squeaky.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.