Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 02 Oct 2017 (Monday) 10:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Few From Some Recent Senior Shoots - Comments/Critiques Appreciated!

jrowephoto
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 02, 2017 10:44 |  #1

Good morning all,

I wanted to post a few from some recent senior portrait shoots. I hope you enjoy, and any and all comments/critiques are greatly appreciated!

1) Karagen

IMAGE: http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/POTN/seniors000.jpg

2) Karagen

IMAGE: http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/POTN/seniors001.jpg

3) Reece
IMAGE: http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/POTN/seniors003.jpg

4) Reece
IMAGE: http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/POTN/seniors002.jpg

5) Bowen
IMAGE: http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/POTN/seniors005.jpg

6) Bowen
IMAGE: http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/POTN/seniors004.jpg

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 02, 2017 16:32 |  #2

Picture 1 I think the blown sky is a problem and her expression is a little odd, like you might have said something bad.

Picture 2 the flash is too hot on her face and the side of the chair by her right arm.

Picture 4 the flash looks a bit hot on her face as well and she looks distorted, like you shot with a short focal length and you shot down on her. The light fall off is a problem too.

Picture 6, you can't see his face very well, which is kind of a problem in portraiture. :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Cordova, TN
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by bob_r. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 02, 2017 17:56 |  #3

Posing young ladies square to the camera is probably the least flattering pose you could choose and yet you have chosen that for all of your images. The second image isn't quite square to the camera, but isn't much of an improvement. Also the second image's horizon is crooked and you have her feet and legs extended towards the camera adding distortion. The third image has included a lot of overhead space. This reduces the size of your subject and her importance in the image and gives more prominence to the doorway. You might want to check the “Dominant subject rule” (and I know rules are meant to be broken, but there was no reason to break it for this image).

When shooting at sunset/dusk the light from the sun is normally a warm color and if you add flash to the scene, you need to gel it to match the color temperature of the ambient light. You also want to turn down the power of the flash so it compliments the natural light.

In the first picture of the young man with the pickup truck, you have the line of the roof going through his neck. While this isn't really going to decapitate him, it is often referred to as “decapitation” because it gives the viewer an uneasy feeling looking at such images.

Bob (saea501) pointed out the problem with the lighting in image 6, but I don't believe the poses do anything for him either. I know a lot of seniors like to include shots showing sports they played/competed in while in school, but these images don't do much for the young man.

One other suggestion after seeing this post and your session with Amber is to be sure to shoot a lot of closeups. Practically all of the images you posted captured your subjects head to toe, but most people want pics of their seniors that show more of their faces, especially family members. Family members especially want to see those beautiful eyes, that great smile with the dimples and dad wants to see the smile that cost him a fortune at the orthodontist. Full body shots should be included, but not so many. In a couple of months, that senior is going to hate those shoes and wondered why on earth she wore them and wished that you hadn't included them in so many of her pics. She'll never feel that way about her face. Grandma, grandpa, uncle Jim and aunt Sue really don't care what sports they participated in, they just want to see that face. Just a suggestion, but usually the closeup images are the ones most people actually end up wanting. They may want one showing a sport participation or one to show the shoes, but it has been my experience, that they'll mainly want the closeups.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Pitter
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Yumbo, Colombia
Oct 02, 2017 18:00 |  #4

I think the third really exaggerates Reese being over weight. Number four is more kind to her. Karegan is the most appealing model in this group and the photos of her came out well.

jrowephoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 03, 2017 05:47 |  #5

I appreciate everyone’s input, lots of things to think about here :)

jake14mw
71 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Oct 06, 2017 16:25 |  #6

I think they are all great shots but #1 stands out above all.

PJJ205
194 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Oct 07, 2017 22:08 |  #7

Nice shots! Keep up the good work. Liked these!

AD ­ Campbell
523 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 07, 2017 22:35 |  #8

I like the first two. Karagen's a good looking kid.

I own gear to take photos with...
Adam Campbell - Portrait photographer
www.acampbellphoto.netexternal link

sponsored links

834 views & 1 like for this thread
Few From Some Recent Senior Shoots - Comments/Critiques Appreciated!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.