Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 18:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is canon rebel t5 good enough for newborn photography?

Oksana ­ Gereaue
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2017
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Oksana Gereaue.
Oct 03, 2017 18:27 |  #1

Hi, is canon EOS rebel t5 body good enough for professional newborn, maternity, and child photography? I was told that I have to get a 50mm 1.8 lense, and other lenses for maternity, however I'm just not sure if the camera body itself can produce professional quality results? Like my pictures are too big and just not look professional like other newborn photography pictures. Is it the lense that I need to change, or the whole camera and lense combined? Can I just get a different lense and still keep the rebel t5?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,332 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 03, 2017 18:42 |  #2

I would think that portrait photography is going to be dependent on lenses way more than body. The Canon 50mm f/1.4, my favorite the f/1.2 85mm (no longer have. :-( ), the 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-200mm f/2.7 II is awesome.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Oksana ­ Gereaue
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 03, 2017 22:28 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #3

Thanks. I figured the lense was mostly important in portrait photography. I just read somewhere that its not good for professional portraiture (which I bought 1 year ago but only started using now. So even if I wanted there's no way I can return or exchange it).

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Phoenixkh.
Oct 03, 2017 22:52 |  #4

Oksana Gereaue wrote in post #18465620 (external link)
Thanks. I figured the lense was mostly important in portrait photography. I just read somewhere that its not good for professional portraiture (which I bought 1 year ago but only started using now. So even if I wanted there's no way I can return or exchange it).

I know you are new so I'll be gentle... It's "lens"... no "e"... plural is "lenses"...

This will help you to fit in more quickly. It takes a while to learn the jargon.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 03, 2017 23:29 |  #5

Just my opinion, but technically, a Rebel should be fine for portrait photography. They are excellent cameras and deliver high image quality.

But a Rebel is not considered pro equipment, and therefore might not present you the best way to the customer. Most pros have multiple full frame cameras, and that implies a commitment to their trade. If this does not matter to you, and if it does not matter to your customers, then carry on.

As for lenses, pick what works for your style of photography. Any focal length can be used for portrait photography, but you need to pick the ones that give the look you want.

Regardless of body and lens, what matters the most is how you use your equipment.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,692 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Oct 04, 2017 11:12 |  #6

I used an xti for years. Yes a rebel is good enough.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Oct 04, 2017 11:12 |  #7

Ignore the comments that feel like attacks. Everyone has their opinion....

The pics you posted look great. The challenge will be lighting, composition, posing, etc. Your Rebel will capture great images with the right inputs. That's just my personal opinion.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

Oksana ­ Gereaue
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 04, 2017 11:21 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #8

Do you attack all hatchlings the same?

Oksana ­ Gereaue
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 04, 2017 11:26 as a reply to Jethr0's post |  #9

Yes lighting I already learned the hard way with post production. Took me 1 hour to edit 1 photo because of bad/inconsistent lighting. On top of that I was shooting in auto mode instead of manual. ߘ I guess all hatchlings start off pretty similar.԰ߐ

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 2 months ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 04, 2017 12:07 |  #10

Heya,

Your camera body is fine. A 10 year old camera body would be fine. Makes no difference at all. The lens can matter a little bit, in terms of producing certain looks you may wish to have. But even then, they're not all that critical either. You could do great newborn with an 18-55 kit lens. The key to newborn photography is lighting, atmosphere and processing. All the professional' stuff you see that people seem to be going for these days are completely unnatural looking (babies by themselves, naked, asleep, not cold, on some crazy fur blanket or dressed in some adult-esque constume, asleep, not cold, not fussing, in a basket in a field; if you really think about it, its ridiculous, but, it's what people want to see, thus it works); and these unnatural things are not popular and look like they do because of a specific sensor size or camera body, nor even the fancier fast fixed-focal length lenses (primes) with shallow depth of field and stuff. 90%+ or more is virtually all done with processing such as presets in lightroom, total environment swap outs, total sky swap outs, etc. The other 10% are doing it with lighting and props and some natural light and props and a lot of patience.

You have the tools. You just need to add more tools if you want to get on the bandwagon, by adding processing and props. Look at the trends, follow them, or create your own. But it will come down to the processing to make the difference. Everyone can take a baby, dress them however, put them in a basket or on a bench, in a field, or on some bear-skin or sheep-skin rug thing and snap a photo of them sleeping. The key is to do it when they're not fussing, not cranky, not cold, recently fed, not in a weird environment, and not being popped with high power strobes right on top of them (they startle them and they get hit with heat each time so its weird and can upset them), and simply get the rough idea of the portrait captured, then process it to be whatever you want it to be. Again, pull up the amazing angelic surreal dreamy newborn photos and take a look. 90% of it is processed to be that, if you saw the original, you'd be shocked.

Find out what you want to produce, professionally. Newborn photography is harder than people think, because newborns do not cooperate at all and you have to do it around their schedule, or you get fussy upset crying photos, poop every where, constantly peeing, and frustrated parents that are done with trying to do it for the 2nd or 3rd hour at their house, or in some studio. But you can do it if you work around them, find their routine, work into it, help the parents to understand that it doesn't happen on their schedule, and find out what they want the images to look like. Some want the social-media dreamy stuff (the unnatural looking stuff). Some just want something nicer than a cellphone snap. But a lot of it is processing on the dreamy side. For just good formals, you can get away with just some basic around the house stuff, good lighting, and some patience. But again, processing is mostly the big thing missing from what you're trying to do, just looking at your photos. Shallow depth of field and a fur rug or a tutu doesn't instantly create the dreamy stuff, as you well have found out. That's where processing takes the raw material and makes dreamy stuff from it.

Your equipment is fine and good for what you want to do.
You just need a new tool and skillset in processing and some more experience.

Summary:

1) Gear is fine.
2) Controlled lighting is superior and cleaner.
3) Don't shoot auto. Control your camera. Don't just shoot auto and hope for something. This requires you really learn the exposure triangle.
4) Processing education. Pick a software suite (like Lightroom/Photoshop, or other) and start going through tutorials on how to do a lot of it. There are online classes. Subtle processing is much more difficult and effective, rather than very obvious processing that looks really hackish. But processing is the major difference here, along with experience. Not the camera/lens!

:-)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 04, 2017 13:38 |  #11

Oksana Gereaue wrote in post #18465843 (external link)

Spelling mistake, that's all... did it feel like an attack?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Oksana ­ Gereaue
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 04, 2017 13:48 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #12

Thanks. Yes I know processing is a huge one. However, I had bad lighting/jpeg format, and inconsistent editing on these photos, oh and it was on auto-mode instead of manual. So I really had no idea what I was doing. These were my first 2 babies I ever shot with a professional camera. I have learned soo much from these photos, and from the advice from fellow photographers like yourself. I didn't even know what aperature was or the difference from a 35mm to a 50mm. After these photos, I took the time to self educate myself. I find this site VERY HELPFUL, unlike searching on google or trying to ask other established newborn photographers for little advice here and there, and all they do is try to sell you their workshops for $1,200. I appreciate the help. Hopefully, one day I can give back to people that helped me.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 04, 2017 22:37 |  #13

Oksana Gereaue wrote in post #18465843 (external link)

I'm sorry it came across as an attack. It wasn't intended as such.

I was trying to help you learn the jargon. When you spell lens "lense", it sort of singles you out as new to photography. If you used it in, say, an ad, or something like that, it would be detrimental to your presentation.

I was actually trying to be constructive. I do apologize for failing to communicate my intentions clearly.

Please forgive me.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by ejenner. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 22:54 |  #14

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18466235 (external link)
When you spell lens "lense", it sort of singles you out as new to photography.

I would go a lot further than that for people for whom English is their first language. But there are a lot of people on the forums who do not speak English as a first language.

Anyway, clients should be more concerned about results than your gear.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 05, 2017 00:29 |  #15

Yes

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

8,584 views & 12 likes for this thread
Is canon rebel t5 good enough for newborn photography?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.