Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 20:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Alleged Leak - Profoto new product

simonbarker
121 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 01, 2017 06:08 |  #76

Daggah wrote in post #18463702 (external link)
IMO, for a thousand dollars, the standard should be a hell of a lot higher than "performing well as a speedlight."

It costs about double the top end model from Nikon and Canon, I'd like to know more about its actual performance (heat, recycling etc) but it seems at least reasonably comparable and that's before we acknowledge the gaps it fills in the Profoto range which does matter to people already invested in Profoto.

So if it's too expensive what should its cost actually be?

sponsored links
Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 01, 2017 07:57 as a reply to simonbarker's post |  #77

IMO? $600, max. I think the first-party flashes are overpriced a bit as well, so that's even being generous to Profoto.

I give it a year at most before third-party flash companies start coming out with flash options that have a circular flash head, which is really the only truly unique thing that this Profoto flash offers.

Nikon D800/D750/FE and Olympus E-M5 shooter
flickr (external link)

simonbarker
121 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 01, 2017 16:53 |  #78

Daggah wrote in post #18463856 (external link)
IMO? $600, max. I think the first-party flashes are overpriced a bit as well, so that's even being generous to Profoto.

How did you come up with that $600 figure though?

Daggah wrote in post #18463856 (external link)
I give it a year at most before third-party flash companies start coming out with flash options that have a circular flash head, which is really the only truly unique thing that this Profoto flash offers.

I agree, they'll be heavily copied but you're ignoring the integrated Air TTL system which is kinda half the product.

Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 02, 2017 05:02 |  #79

Agreed, the AirTTL system is why they are fleecing their customers to begin with. If you want to have a speedlight play nice with the rest of your overpriced AirTTL kit, you've got no choice. And if you've already bought into that system, what's another grand on top of that?

We're talking about a company that will slap a "Profoto" logo on a $10 umbrella and then ask $100+ for it. Even the name of the company itself is obnoxiously arrogant.

flickr (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Oct 02, 2017 12:28 |  #80

fotopaul wrote in post #18463362 (external link)
It seems to me that the A1 is performing very well as a speedlight, from what i'v gathered from users reports like your's the one benefit over other speedlights is it's ability to not recycle and not overheat. I'v tested a Phottix Indra pack to Nikon speedlight and while it's ready to recycle almost instantly the flash would overheat quite fast if i where to push it. I suspect the ceramic in the A1 combined with it's low output is beneficial to it's ability to keeping up with higher frame rate. Not sure how many flashes it can handle at full power, did you test that ?

I did do two sets of 3-4 frame bursts... Don't remember the power level, though... But it did keep up with the 1DX's frame rate... With that said, it's not mine and I was just borrowing it for a few hours... Last thing I'd want to do is break or damage the A1... LOL... If, and when I do buy one, I'll test it to its full potential... And Daggah, I understand your price point issue... That could be applied to almost all photography products... LOL... But if someone's already invested in Profoto products (strobes, modifiers, etc), I can see this being a nice add-on to their Profoto system... I'm sure there are those who will pay the $1k without blinking an eye and those who contest that you're wasting your $$$ on a product that should no more than $600... To each their own, I say... If you're a professional, get paid for your photography, and invested in Profoto, this is going to be a no brainer...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been edited 2 months ago by fotopaul.
Oct 02, 2017 12:55 |  #81
banned

airbutchie wrote in post #18464618 (external link)
I did do two sets of 3-4 frame bursts... Don't remember the power level, though... But it did keep up with the 1DX's frame rate... With that said, it's not mine and I was just borrowing it for a few hours... Last thing I'd want to do is break or damage the A1... LOL... If, and when I do buy one, I'll test it to its full potential...

Understandable... :-)

airbutchie wrote in post #18464618 (external link)
If you're a professional, get paid for your photography, and invested in Profoto, this is going to be a no brainer...

Well if you want a speedlight it might be, but people touting this as anything else is simply parroting Profoto's marketing slogan. The review over at Petapixel (external link) is a perfect example of that..

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

shaolin95
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been edited 2 months ago by shaolin95.
Oct 03, 2017 13:28 |  #82

fotopaul wrote in post #18464630 (external link)
Understandable... :-)

Well if you want a speedlight it might be, but people touting this as anything else is simply parroting Profoto's marketing slogan. The review over at Petapixel (external link) is a perfect example of that..

Wow besides the usual Petapixel "unbiased" reviews, those sample images are beyond horrible! If I were Profoto I would be pissed off after the "incentives" given to petapixel to get such a horrible article which just add insult to injury at $1000 ! lol

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 03, 2017 13:55 |  #83
banned

shaolin95 wrote in post #18465329 (external link)
Wow besides the usual Petapixel "unbiased" reviews, those sample images are beyond horrible! If I were Profoto I would be pissed off after the "incentives" given to petapixel to get such a horrible article which just add insult to injury at $1000 ! lol

There is simply no excuse for the review as such, i mean claiming the A1 being perfect for portraits and product photographers.. yeah like 76ws gonna make a dent..

But in his defense regarding the poor images, the colors and exposure are quite a bit different on his own site (where the review was original posted) it's almost as if the images on peta pixels are aRGB raw files... :-)

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 03, 2017 23:12 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #84

Petapixel is trash. Their articles are either ripped right off of the /r/photography subreddit, or in the rare case of original content, utter ****. And they've also got at least one alt-right advocate on their site as well.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

62,962 views & 56 likes for this thread
Alleged Leak - Profoto new product
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.