Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 15:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seriously thinking about moving to nikon

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by EricJrSax. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 03, 2017 10:30 |  #91

strobe monkey wrote in post #18456272 (external link)
If you switch, will it greatly improve your skills ? Then go ahead...

I think it's a mistake to imply or suggest that a switch from one platform to another will do NOTHING for one's growth as a photographer,... especially when the move is being considered by a beginner or groomed enthusiast, or anything in between. Growth is a function of experimentation and discovery, and few thing help to spur experimentation and discovery more than working thru new gear after a platform switch. I found myself taking shots with my new Nikon D810 I never thought to even attempt with my Canon. I found myself experimenting and learning new things about light, natural and off camera, I hadn't with the Canon. Shots I thought were tack sharp, I soon discovered were a little on the soft side,... finally understood the drawbacks of OLPFs everyone had been talking about. Shadow blotches I had gotten used to accepting, I soon discovered there was actually more of my image lurking and hidden in those shadows (dynamic range). That discovery led to even more experimentation with ISO, metering and AE compensation/adjustmen​ts. Now, being taught that more information lurked in the shadows than in the clipped speculars began to make even more sense. On and on. Now was this growth nothing more than normal growth,.... probably. Would I have experimented and explored along the same paths if I had upgraded to a 5Diii, or even stuck with my 70D,... possibly. But for me,... the D810 made me want to push.

Now for pros who have been shooting for decades,... well maybe not the case. They did their pushing and exploration long ago!

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
Philaburbia
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by Dj R. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 03, 2017 10:51 |  #92

What does DR mean for a beginner, a lot.

What difference does it make if I shoot Nikon 5D Mark 3 or 4 vs. Nikon D750 D810 D850?

I'm going to speak in layman terms as much as possible.

With nikon, if you're a beginner or amateur shooting in manual or aperture mode, you probably don't know how to meter really well yet. So you end up delete several files to get a few good ones. Well, you can save more of your files, with nikon.

....meaning you take a look at your images in lightroom. if you have been editing your canon files for a while, you see your underexposed or overexposed images and want to delete them, and work on the good ones.

...if you were to switch to nikon, you would not want to delete all of those "bad" images, b/c you can literally save them by fixing them in LR. All? No. But way more than you can imagine! There is a LOT more ability to fix images with Nikon.

Don't tell me I'm a jerk b/c I shoot Nikon. I'm here b/c I shot Canon for 8 years. 5D 5DII 5DIII 7D. I am keeping it real.

Also for the folks who love the canon colors and skin tones. I think D750 > D810. And D850 > D750, with regard to color/tones.

There is great glass on either side, to don't fret about that. You just need someone to walk you through it.

Cheers

BAG Reviews, master list!
Nikon D850/750, Sigma 12-24 f4 Art, Nikkor Glass: 20 f1.8G ED, 28 f1.4E ED FL, 58 f1.4G, 105 f1.4E ED FL, 70-200 f2.8E VR ED FL, 24-70 f2.8E VR ED FL
Sony RX100V

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 03, 2017 12:17 |  #93

Jotto123 wrote in post #18465088 (external link)
The d750 is a heck of a deal. Better DR than Canon's newest flagship and far cheaper.

DR advantage is only at ISO 100 and maybe 200. Even with older Canons the advantage is gone by 800. The next event I shoot will be shot at minimum 800 but the vast majority will be at 1600-3200. Canon holds the advantage at those sensitivities.

I shot with the D750 for the last year and found it to be a decent camera but noise crept in much faster than with my 6D. I probably said it earlier in this thread, but any modern DSLR is perfectly capable of producing great results. Dollar for dollar they are all about the same, unless, you have a very specific need to fill the vast majority of your shots. Then you might need to look at specifics a little more closely.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Oct 04, 2017 08:31 |  #94

My biggest objection to my old 20D was lack of dynamic range. In full harsh sunlight, darker areas were black and highlights were blown out. When I got the 40D, the improvement was marked. I seldom thought about trying an HDR for some shots.

The subjects of my photos are not shadows. So lack of detail is not a major concern. With the 7Dii, I don't even think about dynamic range. So I'm kind of nonplussed about the heated discussion about dynamic range differences in camera brands. Sure, it would be nice in a theoretical way if my sensors had the dynamic range of the Sony sensors. But it's not a biggie. I really should stay out of the gear talk forums. We're on two different planets.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

gjc174
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Irvine, CA
Post has been last edited 10 days ago by gjc174. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 11, 2017 13:17 |  #95

I've also been thinking about moving to Nikon for the past couple of weeks. I'm at the point now where I want to upgrade from my 5DII, but have been balking at the prices 5DIII and 5DIV. It also doesn't help that I've been looking at DxoMark and seeing how the rankings are being dominated by Nikon, whose cameras are considerably less money. I know there's been a lot of talk about how you may not be able to see the differences in DR, though in my case I have tried it out and do see a noticeable improvement.

The drawbacks? Aside from having to switch over my lenses to Nikon, I'm still hesitant about whether Nikon's lenses match up to the lenses I current have, namely the 24-70 II and the 100L macro. I also tend to hear more about the negatives of Nikon's customer service, and Canon's service has been nothing short of spectacular for me in the 10+ years I've been using it. Finally, I'm not sure I'll even get use to the reverse controls and mounting for the Nikon lenses...

So I'm stuck right now as to what I should do. Honestly I think I'll probably just go with the next great deal that I see, though I'm not sure I'll be able to last until Black Friday. Anyways, I just wanted to ramble a bit to figure out and organize my thoughts. Happy first post to me, 7 years after joining!

8,214 views & 85 likes for this thread
Seriously thinking about moving to nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.