Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras
Thread started 02 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 20:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Trading Up...Any Advice?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 09, 2017 10:21 |  #31

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18447967 (external link)
If I remember from the article, it said he's been given it? Maybe I got that wrong...

Sometimes Leica sends out some cameras to a few top photographers from different areas of photography to test and write reviews but they have to return them after a couple of weeks. Many wind up buying after testing. I think that might have happened here.

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 09, 2017 11:42 |  #32

Fair enough, but Leica wouldn't be lending them to idiots, hence my confusion over the apparent IQ and PP.....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by airfrogusmc. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 09, 2017 11:52 |  #33

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18448062 (external link)
Fair enough, but Leica wouldn't be lending them to idiots, hence my confusion over the apparent IQ and PP.....

I liked the images out of camera better than what he processed them to. Skin to bright for my taste but I do see real visual consistency to this photographers work and that is the key. Creating a visual style and signature is surely one of the most difficult things to do in photography. Whether we like that style or not is a subjective thing. His work doesn't look like everyone else's like most of the work you see on forums. Most of the work on forums or most of the work in general all looks the same and the work that looks like everyone else gets all the praise. Not saying I like his style but the fact that he has a style and signature to his work is a step ahead of most and probably the reason he has seen some success.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 11, 2017 17:58 |  #34

Check this out
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=p4t-OVIvuy8 (external link)

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 19, 2017 20:03 as a reply to post 18447685 |  #35

THanks for the advice. Yeah I'll probably stick to looking for an M9 or M-E. Since the M8 seems to be out of service with Leica. $4k sounds like a good deal for that setup. I'll have to definitely look for something in the forums or in the stores/online stores. Any suggestions on where to look?

EOS 5D MK3;16-35mm f/2.8 L; 24-70mm f/2.8 L; 85mm f/1.2 L; 70-200mm f/2.8 L; 580EX II;

flickr - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marylandmatt/ (external link)

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 19, 2017 20:03 as a reply to post 18447820 |  #36

Please don't hijack the thread. Thanks

EOS 5D MK3;16-35mm f/2.8 L; 24-70mm f/2.8 L; 85mm f/1.2 L; 70-200mm f/2.8 L; 580EX II;

flickr - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marylandmatt/ (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Oct 03, 2017 10:54 |  #37

illmatik53 wrote in post #18456162 (external link)
THanks for the advice. Yeah I'll probably stick to looking for an M9 or M-E. Since the M8 seems to be out of service with Leica. $4k sounds like a good deal for that setup. I'll have to definitely look for something in the forums or in the stores/online stores. Any suggestions on where to look?

Rangefinder Forum would be a good place to check.

Tamarkin Camera usually has good used cameras and some may have warranties. I just checked and he has 3 M 240s (they have video) for less than 4K.
http://www.tamarkin.co​m ...ries/cameras#used-section (external link)

Dan is a great guy to deal with also.

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by PeterAlex7. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 01:33 |  #38

illmatik53 wrote in post #18443210 (external link)
So I am a die-hard Canon user. I've got a 5D MK3 and the 2.8L trinity setup along with an 85f1.2. I'm wanting to downsize with out "down sizing" if you get my drift. I've always wanted a Leica and I think I've got enough to trade/sell to make the transition.

I'm looking for a Leica that is full frame, HD video, interchangeable lenses, and also has a comparable lens setup as the Canon setup I had, except that instead of an 85, I'd probably look for a 50. I had my eye on the Leica M or M-P, but after looking at the price tag, I doubt I'd be able to afford anything beyond the body. So I started looking around and came across the Leica M9. Now, while I've got a premium camera setup already, which includes HD video for sure, and some of the best glass out there, I will be making some sacrifices. I know that I'm not going to get the same quality out of the Leica, but there are the obvious tradeoffs, and I believe the Leica has different processing as well. Plus I can move on to a different stage in my "photography" journey in life. lol.

Anyhow, Just wanted to hear from those that have made the transition and what advice you can provide. Anything to keep an eye out for? What do I need to be careful of when I buy a used Leica? Indicators to look for, i.e. service stickers to make sure it was serviced properly (like Canon had the gold sticker if you got the shutter actuator serviced)?

Might be a little while before I make the shift, so I've got time to read over your advice. Please, enlighten me!

Go with the otus. These bad boys has crown on each of them, they are the best amongst the best, commonly used by pro filmakers, i know nothing about cine cameras, but one thing i'm sure about is that RED cameras are expensive, expensive at its best, and they use the otus to resolve their beast cameras power. I've read many reviews about them many times and i'd never saw them to be inferior to the others, never. Except the vignette i guess.

You won't lose your HD video feature as you don't have to change your system. You also can switch to A7RII to downsize the body, or upgrade to 5D4 if you can manage the size and still got thousands bucks in your pocket for other equipments instead buying those 6-8k leicas.

The only bad news from getting these zeiss is about the downsize that you have mentioned above. These lenses ain't small, its big and heavy. But its sturdy, sexy (if that matter), has long throw focusing, very smooth focusing, best bokeh, best color, best contrast, best sharpness, etc. Everything just seems right to justify 4-5k spending on a lens, at least to me. That's what I've read from reviews, yes, i don't have any of them, also never try any of them. But I'm sure I'm not wrong.

You can visit the sample gallery of these lenses in this forum (i prefer to see the gallery from FM forum for better image quality). Pardon me for my english if there's something wrong.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Oct 04, 2017 08:40 |  #39

Zeiss Otus are not M mount lenses and will not work on Leica M camera's and that kind of defeats the purpose of Leica M. For still photography I would say some Leica M lenses are as good as it gets. And I think a still camera is what the OP is looking that has video capabilities.

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post has been edited 2 months ago by PeterAlex7.
Oct 04, 2017 14:33 |  #40

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18465766 (external link)
Zeiss Otus are not M mount lenses and will not work on Leica M camera's and that kind of defeats the purpose of Leica M. For still photography I would say some Leica M lenses are as good as it gets. And I think a still camera is what the OP is looking that has video capabilities.

Oh ya, forgot about the rules. I just want to tell him that there is another option in 'leica level' that maybe a lot less pricey to go with. And about what was he looking for, i admit that i dont read all of it, he ask for suggestion and then as an otus fan i just reply it quickly, ofcourse with the otus as my main suggestion. Pardon me :)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Oct 04, 2017 22:29 |  #41

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18465976 (external link)
Oh ya, forgot about the rules. I just want to tell him that there is another option in 'leica level' that maybe a lot less pricey to go with. And about what was he looking for, i admit that i dont read all of it, he ask for suggestion and then as an otus fan i just reply it quickly, ofcourse with the otus as my main suggestion. Pardon me :)

But if he gets a digital M then that lens would be a waist right and I prefer the size, weight and look you can get from many Leica M lenses over Zeiss.

sponsored links

1,653 views & 2 likes for this thread
Trading Up...Any Advice?
FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.