Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 29 Sep 2017 (Friday) 10:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

580 EX with 600 ex rt radio signal?

pictureperf
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sep 29, 2017 10:28 |  #1

Using Canon; 6D, 2 600 EX-RT, one on camera and one OCF in group mode, and I have a 580ex 2. I would like to use the 580 ex in radio mode also, since optical at receptions and events is dodgy. Is there a trigger I can attach to the 580ex that will work with the EX radio signal from the 600 ex? In other words is there a receiver that hot shoes with the 580 that receives the 600 signal. I know I may lose the group mode on the 580 and may use it in ettl or Manual but that’s ok. The important factor is using the radio signal WITHOUT a separate transceiver, and that is compatible with the 600ex so I don’t lose capability of group mode. I know Youngnuo makes a transceiver/receiver combination, and I have a set from Phottix but they negate ETTL, and I don’t want to use a separate transceiver anyway. Just trying to find a way to get the perfectly functioning 580 in the mix. Thanks y’all in advance for your replies!

Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder...

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
773 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Sep 29, 2017 12:05 |  #2

pictureperf wrote in post #18462754 (external link)
Using Canon; 6D, 2 600 EX-RT, one on camera and one OCF in group mode, and I have a 580ex 2. I would like to use the 580 ex in radio mode also, since optical at receptions and events is dodgy. Is there a trigger I can attach to the 580ex that will work with the EX radio signal from the 600 ex? In other words is there a receiver that hot shoes with the 580 that receives the 600 signal. I know I may lose the group mode on the 580 and may use it in ettl or Manual but that’s ok. The important factor is using the radio signal WITHOUT a separate transceiver, and that is compatible with the 600ex so I don’t lose capability of group mode. I know Youngnuo makes a transceiver/receiver combination, and I have a set from Phottix but they negate ETTL, and I don’t want to use a separate transceiver anyway. Just trying to find a way to get the perfectly functioning 580 in the mix. Thanks y’all in advance for your replies!

By "I have a set from Phottix" - are you referring to their Laso receiver? Because that should offer what you require - if I'm understanding you correctly ..

pictureperf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sep 29, 2017 12:59 as a reply to OceanRipple*'s post |  #3

PHotixx Stratos 2. I only use them for the studio strobes and the 6D since there is no PC sync.

inkista
493 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Sep 29, 2017 14:44 |  #4

Phottix Laso receiver (external link) and Yongnuo YN-E3-RX (external link) let you add a 580EXII into the -RT triggering system.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,911 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Nick5.
Oct 02, 2017 09:06 |  #5

pictureperf wrote in post #18462754 (external link)

I would recommend selling your 580 EX II and applying towards new 600 EX -RT as did I.
I went through the same situation in 2012 when first introduced only to realize that nothing else would work as smooth as the new radio Speedlites.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

WillMass
584 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Behind a lens somewhere
Post has been edited 2 months ago by WillMass.
Oct 02, 2017 12:16 |  #6

Without adding a receiver, no.

I believe the YN-E3-RX will do this. I have 4 of them but no 580 to test with. There was some discussion about this, on this board, couple years ago. I also believe there was information on the Lighting Rumors site, around the same time. You can also check the YN website for a list of compatible flashes.

The YN-E3-RX is a nice little receiver with a cold shoe mount on the bottom and hot mount on top and can be had for about $30.

ETA: I just found this from an earlier discussion: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​034014

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

pictureperf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Oct 04, 2017 10:12 as a reply to WillMass's post |  #7

Thanks everyone! i have 2 600 ex rt, and a perfectly functioning 580 ex 2. After researching the Yongnuo YN-E3-RX will suit the job just perfectly! Basically makes the 580 2 behave like a 600, or makes it think its on the camera. Then i will have a backup trigger to my PHotix for my studio strobes as well. Its cheap and should last as its just a trigger and has no flash output so nothing to wear out. Haven't read a bad review on it yet. The Laso is too expensive.

Also for those wanting to get another 600 after already owning a 580-2, look at a good used 600 from Ebay. i got a mint unit for $268!! I could tell the seller barely used it, the buttons were still stiff and there was alkaline batteries that were good in the unit. Most pros/semi/enthusiast use rechargeables. There were a ton of them for sale under $300. I have a non functioning Yongnuo 600 so i would not buy any of those flashes again, it only lasted a few weeks of wedding shooting before it overheated.
thanks again.

WillMass
584 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Behind a lens somewhere
Oct 07, 2017 19:54 |  #8

Good point on buying used. But, don't forget, you can pick up a new yn 600 RT for about $100, get a warranty, and not cry when it ends up in a waterfall like one of my Canons did. lol

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

pictureperf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Oct 16, 2017 14:08 as a reply to WillMass's post |  #9

yeah and i am careful reception guests dont knock the stand over. I carefully place it out of the way but good enough for light and put my camera bag on the stand as an anchor. As for the YN's, "the sting of low quality lasts much longer then the joy of a low price..." It had a warranty but who wants to send it back to China and end up paying more for shipping the the flash costs, and then wait months or weeks to get it back. At least if a used Canon craps out it can be fixed relatively quickly. NO more YN flashes for me. Cant take the chance.

sponsored links

7,242 views & 1 like for this thread
580 EX with 600 ex rt radio signal?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.