Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 17 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 14:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5d mark ii or eos 6d?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,423 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 18, 2017 06:32 |  #16

James Crockett wrote in post #18430515 (external link)
I'm currently using a 5dmkii. It had roughly around 4k shutter count I believe when I bought it off ebay. It's in nice shape. I'm new to this forum and learn with this stuff everyday. I see these awesome pictures and was curious if I needed to upgrade since this camera was released in 08' I think it was. I don't do any studio work or use any special lighting outside. Thanks Alan!

If what you have works and you find that you are not hampered by the equipment, then I would just stay with what you have. Alot of photo results you see are post processed, and not knowing your skills or tools, perhaps taking some time with online tutorials on LR or Photoshop or GIMP, or whatever you use to see how you can enhance digital imagery might be a good way to spend time instead of money.

If you find that you have any of these situations, then the 5D2 should be upgraded:
o You have issues focusing in low light, the 6D seems like it can see in the dark, it is that good (and the 5D4, and 7D2, etc now)
o You notice that AF just doesn't always latch on and stay on target, even if you have the helper assist points turned on
o You would love wifi access to the camera to see and shoot remotely
o You want a better out of camera JPG than what you are getting (the 5D2 has an old JPG engine, the newer models produce better results)
o You want to go to SD cards
o You want longer battery life
o You want better high ISO (3200+) results
o Probably a few other things I am missing...

The later gen FF bodies really stepped up their game as a whole package over the 5D2, which was more of a evolutionary upgrade over the 5D. The 5D3 and 5D4 introduce 1D series AF, the 6D introduced a smaller, lighter FF offering with great IQ.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 18, 2017 09:26 |  #17

AlanU wrote in post #18430227 (external link)
I do not own a 6D but just yesterday I took my kids out to Cates Park in North Vancouver, British Columbia with my 5dmk2 and 85Lmk2.

Even using the lowest ISO settings I was well over 1/4000 shutter speed shooting wideopen in open shade. I choose to shoot f/1.2 for a specific effect I wanted. Stopping down or slapping on ND filters is not an option I want to take.

If I was using a 6D indoors or where 1/4000 isn't an issues the 6D is simply a better performer in low light.

"If" I'm outdoors and owned a 6D I'd rather be shooting with my Fuji X-t2 with 56mm f/1.2 for an almost similar effect I get with my 5dmk2/3 with 85L for portraits outdoors. I just cannot tolerate 1/4000 cripped shutter speeds. My preference is a 1/8000 headroom camera body. It all depends on your needs/wants.

Or you could just stop the lens down to f1.8/f2 for the same effect with the 6D.

James Crockett wrote in post #18430276 (external link)
Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm currently using the 5d mark ii and I see really nice photos with the 6d. Looking at the two on dxomark they are very similar. If I'm using my camera for portrait photography and considered upgrading what do you recommend? Hope all is well.

They're not different enough to warrant switching in my opinion. I would only do it if WiFi is really important to you (I personally couldn't own another camera without it). Image quality is basically a wash between them, 6D is better, but not leaps and bonds. Same story for AF.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18430720 (external link)
If what you have works and you find that you are not hampered by the equipment, then I would just stay with what you have. Alot of photo results you see are post processed, and not knowing your skills or tools, perhaps taking some time with online tutorials on LR or Photoshop or GIMP, or whatever you use to see how you can enhance digital imagery might be a good way to spend time instead of money.

If you find that you have any of these situations, then the 5D2 should be upgraded:
o You have issues focusing in low light, the 6D seems like it can see in the dark, it is that good (and the 5D4, and 7D2, etc now)
o You notice that AF just doesn't always latch on and stay on target, even if you have the helper assist points turned on
o You would love wifi access to the camera to see and shoot remotely
o You want a better out of camera JPG than what you are getting (the 5D2 has an old JPG engine, the newer models produce better results)
o You want to go to SD cards
o You want longer battery life
o You want better high ISO (3200+) results
o Probably a few other things I am missing...

The later gen FF bodies really stepped up their game as a whole package over the 5D2, which was more of a evolutionary upgrade over the 5D. The 5D3 and 5D4 introduce 1D series AF, the 6D introduced a smaller, lighter FF offering with great IQ.

This.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 3 months ago by kf095.
Aug 18, 2017 10:42 |  #18

Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm currently using the 5d mark ii and I see really nice photos with the 6d. Looking at the two on dxomark they are very similar. If I'm using my camera for portrait photography and considered upgrading what do you recommend? Hope all is well.

If you have no issues with your MKII AF and using it for portraits (this is where I had problems with my MKII) here is absolutely no reason to update. If you want better pictures, get better lens, improve light technique and learn how to PP.
Our older daughter is paid photographer who does portraits. Most of the time she is working in low light with MKII, L 24-105 F4 IS zoom and Canon TTL on camera flash. Her digital PP makes very big difference from RAW photos on final image. She is not over processing and two+ hundreds shots are processed by her within four or less hours.

In your case 6D only makes sense for environmental, reportage portraits. Rain, snow blast.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

mihazero
Joined Dec 2013
Sep 17, 2017 08:01 |  #19

From what i have seen here, no one mentioned one thing that makes 6D a no go for me. A skin tone. 5Dmk2 blows 6D into smithereens in that regard. Like 5Dc before it, skintones are amazing (yes 5Dc is even better). I can only assume that 6D in quest to make it even higher ISO reaching camera, was pushed too much and skintones are not like on 5Dmk2. Even 5Dmk3 has worse skintones then mk2, but considerably better then 6D.

My 2c.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 17, 2017 09:45 |  #20

mihazero wrote in post #18454074 (external link)
From what i have seen here, no one mentioned one thing that makes 6D a no go for me. A skin tone. 5Dmk2 blows 6D into smithereens in that regard. Like 5Dc before it, skintones are amazing (yes 5Dc is even better). I can only assume that 6D in quest to make it even higher ISO reaching camera, was pushed too much and skintones are not like on 5Dmk2. Even 5Dmk3 has worse skintones then mk2, but considerably better then 6D.

My 2c.

Examples? You're literally the first person I've ever seen make that claim and I've been a member of this forum since before the 6D was even announced.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 17, 2017 10:39 |  #21

I just got my new-to-me 6Dc. I will be very interested to see how the colors compare the my 1D IV, which I love.

Every camera body seems to handle colors in a slightly different fashion... including skin tones, obviously.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 17, 2017 10:59 |  #22

Future repair issues is probably the main issue at this point. The 5D II will be abandoned by canon at some point. Probably pretty soon I would think.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 17, 2017 11:07 |  #23

My 2c.

The 5D classic did have a very good organic film look that was definitely beautiful. However due to the dynamic range limitations of the old technology highlight Bloom was quite common if you are not careful.

Canon sensors always had a nice magenta when pushed hard. I'm being sarcastic when I say nice magenta by the way. Seems like the 6d and 5D Mark III reduced that sort of magenta bandIng but not fully resolved that issue.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,365 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 17, 2017 11:23 |  #24

My 2c.

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18454132 (external link)
Examples? You're literally the first person I've ever seen make that claim and I've been a member of this forum since before the 6D was even announced.

I would like to see a couple examples as well. I have seen claims that the default colors between Canon and Nikon are a bit different but not really within the same camera line. Also, next to exposure, color is the simplest adjustment to make, well, maybe contrast then color, but all three, exposure color and contrast and about as easy to adjust.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 17, 2017 11:50 |  #25

gjl711 wrote in post #18454194 (external link)
I would like to see a couple examples as well. I have seen claims that the default colors between Canon and Nikon are a bit different but not really within the same camera line. Also, next to exposure, color is the simplest adjustment to make, well, maybe contrast then color, but all three, exposure color and contrast and about as easy to adjust.

That is my problem... well, one of them. I'm color blind. I can't do color adjustments without my wife looking over my shoulder and helping. That's why I fell in love the with 1D IV. What I was seeing when I took the photo... I get with the 1D IV.

With that in mind, I am looking forward with more time with the 6Dc. I'm hoping it's close.. or between my wife and I, that it isn't hard to figure out what to do.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

mihazero
Joined Dec 2013
Sep 17, 2017 13:34 |  #26

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18454132 (external link)

Gladly, but i did comparison of this some time ago. Those files are long gone.

I can explain tho. 5Dmk2 files have both nicer skin color out of camera as well better color detail (more colors on the face and less banding due to limited color range). With 6D colors looked similar, but washed out a bit and color detail was lacking and banding was more pronounced. This was obvious even on 16bit image, but due to how PS 16->8bit works, i was able to make it almost impercivable after conversion. But out of LR and out of PS in 8bit ... upon closer look we could see difference.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,815 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 17, 2017 13:54 |  #27

I can't say I have ever read someone state that the 6D has MORE banding than the 5D2.
The contrary has been written many times.

Try this, Google 5D2 banding issue.

eg:
http://cameras.reviewe​d.com ...rk-ii-banding-issue-19629 (external link)

Conversely, if you Google the same for 6D, you get lots of hits talking about how the banding issue was fixed and DR added to the 6D.

I wonder if you perhaps had a problematic camera, or were having issues with your post processing/color management that you were unaware of?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mihazero
Joined Dec 2013
Sep 17, 2017 13:59 |  #28

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18454300 (external link)
I think you are the only person ever to say that the 6D has MORE banding than the 5D2.

Try this, Google 5D2 banding issue.

eg:
http://cameras.reviewe​d.com ...rk-ii-banding-issue-19629 (external link)

Did i say banding as in lack of detailed when file is being pushed or pulled or i was refering to less color range in skin tone out of camera? I kinda see the difference. One excludes the other. Also, on 5Dmk2 banding was mostly in shadows, not on skintones.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Oct 04, 2017 15:04 |  #29

I had both. Personally I hated the 5DMKII. It was big and clunky. I hated the LOUD shutter sound. I like the form factor of the 6D better and the ISO is better (IMO).

All comes down to a personal preference.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,980 views & 4 likes for this thread
5d mark ii or eos 6d?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.