Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

philmar
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
Toronto, Canada
Sep 29, 2017 08:21 |  #8581

bones519 wrote in post #18460670 (external link)
They're all nice but I especially like the shot of Mississauga. Have never seen it (or bothered to look) from that angle and time of day. Maybe because it never had much of a skyline before.

The condos have sprung up in the last few years...but that view has only become available recently with the closing of Ontario Place and opening of Trillium Park

A photo I took HERE published in National Geographic
Time on your hands? Then
HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on
 (external link):

http://https ...photos/phil_marion/​albums (external link)

sponsored links
ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Oct 03, 2017 13:09 |  #8582

You gents with 5DS models - are you seeing hot pixels on long exposures? I've been reading on upgrading (10 years is a long time without buying any new gear) to the 5DSR, but since I do primarily long exposures the reports of hot pixels has me concerned. 30-60 seconds is my bread and butter, but I do 200-300 seconds quite often as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks to maxblack who sent me here from the TSE 24L II photo thread...

flickrexternal link
5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 03, 2017 13:19 |  #8583

ken2000ac wrote in post #18465315 (external link)
You gents with 5DS models - are you seeing hot pixels on long exposures? I've been reading on upgrading (10 years is a long time without buying any new gear) to the 5DSR, but since I do primarily long exposures the reports of hot pixels has me concerned. 30-60 seconds is my bread and butter, but I do 200-300 seconds quite often as well. Any thoughts?

Joel T did some testing on it a while back...very thorough.

http://www.bwvision.co​m ...photography-test-results/ (external link)

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Oct 03, 2017 15:29 as a reply to TRhoads's post |  #8584

Really appreciated, thanks pal. Cole's review is one of a few that has highlighted my concerns - I'll be reading this article, which I didn't previously find via Google, with sincerity.

flickrexternal link

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Oct 04, 2017 11:48 |  #8585

I've had a chance to read this with interest - from what I can tell, it may come down to QC as the images in the article look fine to me, with no hot pixels.

Has anyone had experience to the contrary?

flickrexternal link

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 04, 2017 12:44 |  #8586

ken2000ac wrote in post #18465864 (external link)
I've had a chance to read this with interest - from what I can tell, it may come down to QC as the images in the article look fine to me, with no hot pixels.

Has anyone had experience to the contrary?

I get hot pixels on every camera I have shot LE with...50D, 7DI, 5D2, 5DIV, A7R2 and A9...I think hot pixels are something to be dealt with in this genre, and can be dependent on several things, ambient temp, ISO, exposure duration, exposure frequency...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by xpfloyd. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 15:07 |  #8587

Kenny, you can pick up the a7rii on eBay now for around £1600 (grey import). Just saying ;-)a

No need to change your lenses and there is an app you can install (yeah Sonys have apps!) called smooth reflections. Basically what it does is you choose how many exposures you want to take and it takes them and then blends them in camera instantly and outputs a single raw file. That does 2 things - for short exposures of waterfalls for example it gives the effect of a longer exposure as all the short ones are blended together. This allows you to shoot at lower iso for a cleaner shot and also shorter duration to avoid hot pixels. The other thing it does which is what I like about it the most is you can shoot at high iso and make it look like iso 25!. I use this a lot for night photography.

As an example the shot below was shot in near pitch blackness around midnight at f/5.6 iso 1600 but the resulting raw file is cleaner than my daytime iso100 shots. This was 16 shots blended, 30 secs per shot. Not a hot pixel in sight

Food for thought....

Sorry this isn’t quite on topic but it’s simulated 9 stop ND

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 15 | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Samyang 24 | Contax Zeiss 100-300
Sony 28 | Sony/Zeiss 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | Sony 90 Macro

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 04, 2017 15:18 as a reply to xpfloyd's post |  #8588

That's a pretty fine looking picture there my friend. ;-)a

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,165 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Montrose, CO
Oct 04, 2017 20:14 as a reply to xpfloyd's post |  #8589

Amazing photo.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Oct 05, 2017 04:02 |  #8590

Eddie, that's a stunning photo mate. Thanks for the suggestion of migrating to Sony, and while I'm not loyal to any one brand, I can't be bothered to learn a new platform when I'm dead comfortable with Canon. Besides, I intend to keep my 5D II and could use both of them for events - I'm not intelligent enough to use two cameras of different menus and setups at the same time.

TRhoads - I think that's the answer I needed someone to say. I get hotpixels more often on my 5D II when the body is exposed to bright sunlight, i.e. ambient and operating temperature. So I should expect the same with any other camera, including the 5DSR. I think I might have just been scared off when I read one negative review.

flickrexternal link

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 05, 2017 06:17 |  #8591

ken2000ac wrote in post #18466343 (external link)
Eddie, that's a stunning photo mate. Thanks for the suggestion of migrating to Sony, and while I'm not loyal to any one brand, I can't be bothered to learn a new platform when I'm dead comfortable with Canon. Besides, I intend to keep my 5D II and could use both of them for events - I'm not intelligent enough to use two cameras of different menus and setups at the same time.

TRhoads - I think that's the answer I needed someone to say. I get hotpixels more often on my 5D II when the body is exposed to bright sunlight, i.e. ambient and operating temperature. So I should expect the same with any other camera, including the 5DSR. I think I might have just been scared off when I read one negative review.

No probs Kenny, you wouldn’t like the a7rii for events anyway as it’s a bit slower than what you will be used to, I just thought it might be a good fit for your landscape stuff. I know what you mean about two brands, every time I jump onto my Sony after using my Fuji I’m looking for a joystick with my thumb that isn’t there!

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 15 | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Samyang 24 | Contax Zeiss 100-300
Sony 28 | Sony/Zeiss 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | Sony 90 Macro

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 05, 2017 08:12 |  #8592

xpfloyd wrote in post #18466382 (external link)
No probs Kenny, you wouldn’t like the a7rii for events anyway as it’s a bit slower than what you will be used to, I just thought it might be a good fit for your landscape stuff. I know what you mean about two brands, every time I jump onto my Sony after using my Fuji I’m looking for a joystick with my thumb that isn’t there!

I am having that problem going between the a7r2 and a9...at first they feel the same in the hand...but operation is quite different.

philmar
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
Toronto, Canada
Oct 05, 2017 11:59 |  #8593

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4456/37252115660_c6a7391658_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YKQQ​9d] (external link)Long exposure of Toronto sunset from crumbling jetty on Ward's Island (external link) by Phil Marion (external link), on Flickr

A photo I took HERE published in National Geographic
Time on your hands? Then
HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on
 (external link):

http://https ...photos/phil_marion/​albums (external link)

Steve ­ Sanchez ­ Photography
120 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 05, 2017 20:25 as a reply to post 18390128 |  #8594

Amazing

paloika
Joined Mar 2013
Oct 05, 2017 23:33 |  #8595

Steve Sanchez Photography wrote in post #18466871 (external link)
Amazing

Thank you so very much!!

sponsored links

1,954,272 views & 5729 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.