Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 04 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 20:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for high school senior.

canon7D
Joined Nov 2015
Oct 04, 2017 20:40 |  #1

I used a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens to photograph a high school senior and I was very impressed with the sharpness of this lens! Especially for the price $235.00. Anybody else like this lens?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
rjharris
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Oct 04, 2017 20:50 |  #2

It worked well with my 7D but not my 7DII or 5D IV

The 24-702.8L version 2 was so much sharper I laughed. That's after a trip to Tamron for it and microfocus adjusting.

AD ­ Campbell
522 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 04, 2017 23:17 |  #3

I've got the 24-70 f.8 and I don't like it at all. Sometimes it's sharp.

I own gear to take photos with...
Adam Campbell - Portrait photographer
www.acampbellphoto.netexternal link

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
Joined Mar 2011
Oct 06, 2017 12:33 |  #4

if you you don't care about corner sharpness its a great lens. for that reason its a steal on a crop sensor.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sonofjesse
686 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Oct 07, 2017 17:17 |  #5

It worked great on my rebel XT back in the day one of my fav lenses from that period!

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 07, 2017 18:27 |  #6

The lens had great reviewes on APS-C, but it is not as sterling on FF

http://www.photozone.d​e ..._ff/418-tamron_2875_28_5d (external link)

"The Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR may shine with glory on APS-C DSLRs but it has found its master within the full format scope. The border resolution is generally soft at f/2.8 and you need stop down a bit in order to get a decent image quality across the frame. The lens produces very hefty vignetting figures at f/2.8 but the situation improves rapidly when stopping down a bit. The distortion characteristic is pretty good for a standard zoom lens - same goes for lateral CAs (color shadows). Bokeh fringing (LoCA) is basically a non-issue. The quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) is acceptable but it's not a strength. The build quality of the lens is Ok but nothing to rave about either. Despite its flaws it is still an interesting lens when taking the very affordable price into account."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

paintedlotus
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Oct 10, 2017 16:05 |  #7

I've used it for years on both my 5D (classic) and for the last 4 years with my 6D. I shoot mostly fashion, beauty and portraits. It's never failed me once and the sharpness has been amazing. Probably at least half of the shots on my website were taken with this lens. But, its typical weaknesses aren't as much of a factor in the type of photography I do, so YMMV.

That said I'm picking up a 5D IV in a few days and the Tammy will eventually need to be phased out as the commercial work keep rolling in, so I got the 24-70 f/2.8 ii.

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), 100mm macro, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, slightly melted Einstein, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Oct 10, 2017 17:58 |  #8

I agree with everyone here as this lens has its high points and low. I recently picked one up for my Canon 6d to replace my 50mm and to pair with my 24mm f/1.4 Rokinon and EF 100mm f/2. For what I use it for, the corners do not need to be sharp as I would use the Rokinon for that anyway. It is mostly my take everywhere lens as I started using the 100mm f/2 for portraits. It works well enough for walking around since the size and weight are good. If it were up to me, I would buy 2-3 of these in place of the EF 24-70L ii as they are just as sharp and I don't feel like I have to vomit if it gets banged up like I would for the "L" counterpart. The pictures look great btw, and not many people would be able to notice they were not taken with a $1000+ lens as it's not always the gear that makes great photos. Keep it up!

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

sponsored links

941 views & 2 likes for this thread
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for high school senior.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.