Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 09:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

buying from POTN, what to look out for?

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Sep 12, 2017 16:29 |  #16

Pay for regular PayPal....not gift. If there are issues with the items, PayPal will step in. Look for posting counts and the types of posts they make. Just because someone has enough post counts to post in the Classified section, it does not mean they aren't there to scam you. The items described should be very detailed and with good clear photos. Personally, I won't buy an used lens from someone who couldn't type up more than 3 sentences to describe the lens or lenses. Crappy and dark photos??? Forget it.... :) Newbies responding to your WTB thread? Forget it.....

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
javapop
Joined Jul 2006
Georgia, USA
Sep 12, 2017 17:58 |  #17

I have bought and sold a lot of gear here, well not as much as others! I sold one item that was a scam buyer, PayPal took care of me.

Biggest advise, look at feedback; but alway verify through external websites and whatever other means you can find that who you are buying from is a real person, and actually the person you are buying from. Make sure numbers and emails match up everywhere.

7D2|A2E|24-105 4L IS|70-200 2.8L IS USM|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|Habakkuk 2:2 (external link)| Member : SportsShooter.com (external link)
facebook (external link)David.Stembridge.us (external link)

dlamarr
33 posts
Joined Mar 2016
Sep 12, 2017 18:46 |  #18

This is great info as I am looking to dive into building my equipment...thank you all for posting these gems of information!

JoeLopez
430 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Sep 13, 2017 07:12 |  #19

anitaw2 wrote in post #18450365 (external link)
I'm not familiar with paypal friends/family payment. Do you mean just pay through regular paypal. I'm in Canada, I don't know if that makes a difference on the duty amount.

Paypal gift / friends & family are often used to represent the same thing. It is a way to transfer funds from one person to another. The difference is gift does NOT protect the buyer or seller and the seller avoids any fees. It is up to the seller to cover any Paypal fees as it is the seller who is using Paypal to be able to accept a secure (credit card, debit card, etc) form of payament.

Hope this helps :)

D7100 | 35/50/85 1.8G | Tamron 17-50 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 VC | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II
Fujifilm X100T | Nikon F3/T, FE2 | Minolta XG1 | Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Gear List
Detroit Imagery (external link) - Detroit area event photographer : Flickr (external link)

smacatl
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by smacatl.
Sep 13, 2017 09:39 |  #20

There is a lot of good information for how to be successful purchasing gear on line in this thread:

http://photography-on-the.net ...hread.php?t=292688&​page=1

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

mrgooch
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
Toms River NJ
Sep 13, 2017 09:53 |  #21

Saved a great deal of money over the years!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,713 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 13, 2017 10:05 |  #22

I have moved this thread from the for sale forum into the market watch forum where we discuss topics like this one.

At the top of that forum you will find some very helpful sticky threads that cover how to go about taking care during an online purchase, such as;

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​031678

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=292688

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​074819

I hope this helps.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 05, 2017 08:08 |  #23

anitaw2 wrote in post #18450365 (external link)
I'm not familiar with paypal friends/family payment. Do you mean just pay through regular paypal. I'm in Canada, I don't know if that makes a difference on the duty amount.

I have sold used equipment to new Canadian owners and have used USPS to ship, I don't believe they have ever had to pay anything extra at their end.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,557 views & 6 likes for this thread
buying from POTN, what to look out for?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.