Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 05 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 13:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wreckage of WWII USS Indianapolis Found...

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 05, 2017 13:38 |  #1

Announced a few weeks ago.
This site has a few photos of the wreckage...

http://www.indystar.co​m ...philippine-sea/583124001/ (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,819 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 05, 2017 20:12 |  #2

Wow,. a lot of history there.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 05, 2017 23:43 |  #3

My dad was a US Marine PVT on Tinian. He guarded what Indy dropped off there.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 06, 2017 06:42 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #4

Oh, the stories he could tell, I bet.

Bassat
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Oct 06, 2017 08:09 |  #5

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18467097 (external link)
Oh, the stories he could tell, I bet.

My dad served in three battles in WWII. Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Tinian. He carried a B.A.R. One story he told, that I never knew was actual history was of the Navajo Code Talkers on Iwo Jima. I'd been hearing that story since I was old enough to climb on his lap. My dad told me, for the first time in maybe 1965 or so, that Joe Rosenthal took more than one photo on top Mount Surbachi. Yep, that photo was 'staged'. Put a few beers in my dad and mention Saipan and prepare to watch a grown man cry.
"Women were gutting their babies, throwing them off a cliff, and jumping off after them. We couldn't stop them." He was also proud of citation he got while on guard duty on Tinian. Seems fire broke out somewhere. My dad sounded the alarm, and was instrumental in extinguishing the blaze. He had no idea what he was guarding at the time. His citation is (I still have it) signed by a USN Captain. That's a bird colonel to you non-Navy folks. Captains do not regularly sign citations when privates execute their proper duties. I don't know what he was guarding, but the Captain sure did. Those stories are verify-ably true. Another I heard several times, which my mom sustained, was that Ira Hayes came to our home in Indiana. Mr. Hayes died two years before I was born.

Tom

PhotosGuy
74,882 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 06, 2017 08:47 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18466865 (external link)
Wow,. a lot of history there.

The Dept. of the Navy screwed up big time over that sinking.
http://www.ussindianap​olis.org/story.htm (external link)
http://www.ussindianap​olis.org/ (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,930 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 06, 2017 23:55 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #7

Indianapolis has been made pretty famous now. She was under secret orders, and as such, wasn’t tracked. While she was the ship in WWII that had the most fatalities, there were more lives lost with the first Naval operations against Japan. Some small ships had zero survivors, ships like USS Houston had a crew of 1061 in which 368 initially survived. They would be Japanese POWs, some working on the bridge Kwai. 77 would die while captive. Even though the Indianapolis had the highest fatality during sinking, there were many more lives lost in the initial naval stages of the Pacific Theater.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 07, 2017 15:32 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18467141 (external link)
My dad served in three battles in WWII. Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Tinian. He carried a B.A.R. One story he told, that I never knew was actual history was of the Navajo Code Talkers on Iwo Jima. I'd been hearing that story since I was old enough to climb on his lap. My dad told me, for the first time in maybe 1965 or so, that Joe Rosenthal took more than one photo on top Mount Surbachi. Yep, that photo was 'staged'. Put a few beers in my dad and mention Saipan and prepare to watch a grown man cry.
"Women were gutting their babies, throwing them off a cliff, and jumping off after them. We couldn't stop them." He was also proud of citation he got while on guard duty on Tinian. Seems fire broke out somewhere. My dad sounded the alarm, and was instrumental in extinguishing the blaze. He had no idea what he was guarding at the time. His citation is (I still have it) signed by a USN Captain. That's a bird colonel to you non-Navy folks. Captains do not regularly sign citations when privates execute their proper duties. I don't know what he was guarding, but the Captain sure did. Those stories are verify-ably true. Another I heard several times, which my mom sustained, was that Ira Hayes came to our home in Indiana. Mr. Hayes died two years before I was born.

That's a fascinating story, Tom. Thanks for sharing.
If you have documents or photos from your dad's time in the service, it would be great to scan and post them on the net. It would add to history and be a tribute to dad.

My dad was too young for service during WWII, but my uncle was a marine and did island fighting. Our family has a photo of him in the jungle with a German shepherd dog. A pretty cool photo. I need to buy a scanner and digitize the photo.

My uncle never talked about the war, and as a kid I was warned by my parents not to bring the subject up. He saw horrible fighting and the memories made him very upset.

Bassat
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 07, 2017 16:24 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #9

I was just looking through his service record. Combat record:

"Participated in action against the enemy at:
Saipan, 15 Jun 44 - 9 Jul 44.
Tinian, 24 Jul 44 - 1 Aug 44.
Iwo Jima, 19 Feb 45 - 15 Mar 45."

Participated as a US Marine rifleman in the invasions of all 3 islands. Combined US Marine casualties (KIA/wounded): 42,000. My dad went through that uninjured, physically. Mentally/emotionally he was a mess. Classic PTSD from today's point of view.

The Department of the Navy sent me his records in one big paper file, perhaps 80 pages. The newest document is from 1952, when he was discharged from the USMCR. The stuff is pretty fragile; I'm not going to try to unstaple it for scanning. I'm pulling two 12-hour shifts this weekend. I'll get my last photo of him up, hopefully Monday.

Tom

sponsored links

796 views & 6 likes for this thread
Wreckage of WWII USS Indianapolis Found...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.