Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 31 Jul 2017 (Monday) 17:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Portable Flag and scrim solution: Road Rags, Fast Flags or...

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,302 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 23, 2017 14:58 |  #31

I would check grip section of B&H. Select Mathews and be happy. Or better yet ask for catalog. I got even without asking, maybe B&H saw me spending quite a bit of time on their section.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Sep 23, 2017 15:42 as a reply to post 18458753 |  #32

Close. That one is for mounting a boom arm. the hole diameters are probably too large.

This is the type you'll need:

Kupo Grip Head (external link)

There are several manufacturers to chose from.

Thinking a little more about it, you may need to get one of these too, the stud on your light stand may need a baby pin screwed onto it for the grip head to get a grip on...

Avenger E300 5/8" stud (external link)

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 23, 2017 23:32 |  #33

mdvaden wrote in post #18458737 (external link)
I've never used flags or scrims before, but thought maybe you or other could answer a question. Say, at Amazon, etc., the product photos are small and I can't tell if the scrim frames like Matthews or Wescott will mount each to a stand like I would use for an umbrella. I don't have C-stands. Just black ones that go up or down. Could these slip into an umbrella mount hole?

Welcome to the world of grip gear :).

Grip equipment is intended to hold things in a specific place safely. The equipment options are flexible and capable, so there are generally a few ways to solve any given problem.

With scrims and flags, the basic goal is usually to place them in the path of the light. Sometimes, putting them on a stand will solve the problem. Sometimes, the stand will be in the way (e.g. line of sight of the camera or casting a shadow) in which case you may want to suspend the item.

C-stands are frequently equipped with grip heads and grip arms to make this easy, but these are all pretty heavy:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=​853472 (external link)

Another option is a lighter weight boom arm, such as those provided to hold reflectors:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=​357125 (external link)

Or this kit which, although not cheap, is quite light weight and was put together for the purpose:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...inigrip_Mounting_Ki​t.html (external link)

The latter has the advantage that it is easy to connect with the stand holding the light if the place you need to hold the flag or scrim is near the light source, saving you the need for an extra stand.

There are many other clamps and arms which can be pressed into service to solve this problem. And opportunities for DIY solutions abound.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been edited 20 days ago by fotopaul.
Sep 28, 2017 18:06 |  #34
banned

A note on CSB products, for the price the quality of the fabric is terrible. They are lightweight and portable but having owned several of their reflectors/scrims over the years it's evident that their fabrics is not that good in terms of durability.

Lastolite which i'v also used for well over 10 years (skylite range) has hold up extremely well without any issues. Sure weighs a little more, but i'd take that over cheaper fabric that flakes or loose seems.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 28, 2017 19:34 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #35

"CBS products"?

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Sep 28, 2017 23:35 |  #36
banned

F2Bthere wrote in post #18462455 (external link)
"CBS products"?

Lol sorry to late for me to type..:-)

CSB California sun bounce

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 06, 2017 08:52 |  #37

F2Bthere wrote in post #18459081 (external link)
Welcome to the world of grip gear :).

Grip equipment is intended to hold things in a specific place safely. The equipment options are flexible and capable, so there are generally a few ways to solve any given problem.

With scrims and flags, the basic goal is usually to place them in the path of the light. Sometimes, putting them on a stand will solve the problem. Sometimes, the stand will be in the way (e.g. line of sight of the camera or casting a shadow) in which case you may want to suspend the item.

C-stands are frequently equipped with grip heads and grip arms to make this easy, but these are all pretty heavy:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=​853472 (external link)

Ended up getting a stand much like the first link you posted.

And I may order a second one too, seeing how useful it's design and build can be.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links

8,036 views & 18 likes for this thread
Portable Flag and scrim solution: Road Rags, Fast Flags or...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.