Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 05 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 16:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Removal of broken 360 bulb ???

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 05, 2017 16:10 |  #1

I bought another one of these yesterday from Talley, so of course today one of my older units falls off the f&@#ing light stand.

Not sure how to even approach this.

Could there be any charge left in there that might zap me? It's been unplugged for a month, I think.

Then just a couple of needle nose pliers on the electrical leads and a gentle tug?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 05, 2017 16:16 |  #2

You can short the leads with a pair of pliers to discharge any capacitive charge.

Far as removal....how is it installed...that is, what does the new bulb have in regard to a base? That should give you an idea how to remove it. If it's screwed in then yes, pliers and turn it out. If it's a bayonet mount, similarly, pliers and push and turn.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 05, 2017 16:33 as a reply to saea501's post |  #3

Just push in and pull out judging by the spare that I bought three years ago.

I'm not really as helpless as I probably sound, :D I just needed to sit down with a beer and stop being pissed at myself for letting my this happen. A thread in the mean time seemed to be in order.

One of the electrical leads is already broken, hope The others hold up. Going to grab another beer and see what kind of force is necessary to yank out an intact bulb from another unit.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 05, 2017 17:04 |  #4

Ha!

I could barely get the pliars on the leads and the bulb dropped right out!

The initial hit was sort of on the base and then quickly right on the bulb. The force must have almost pushed it right out.

Flash seems to be working fine. That was a big fall right onto bare concrete. Not even a mark on the thing.

dpe
172 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Wareham
Oct 06, 2017 04:17 |  #5

saea501 wrote in post #18466747 (external link)
You can short the leads with a pair of pliers to discharge any capacitive charge.

Not how I would do it

remove the battery and switch the unit on, simples

Mike

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,401 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 06, 2017 05:38 |  #6

If you need a new bulb, not sure of all prices all over the net, but Amazon has them.

https://www.amazon.com ...mbc?ie=UTF8&conditi​on=new (external link)

As do I... :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

saea501
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 06, 2017 06:18 |  #7

dpe wrote in post #18467042 (external link)
Not how I would do it

Mike

Not a bad idea but one of the leads is broken, you then have an open circuit which would not allow the cap to discharge.

Bob

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,142 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Oct 06, 2017 06:25 |  #8

Ugh that stinks. Sounds like my luck lately.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

dpe
172 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Wareham
Oct 06, 2017 07:53 |  #9

saea501 wrote in post #18467084 (external link)
Not a bad idea but one of the leads is broken, you then have an open circuit which would not allow the cap to discharge.

the caps will discharge from powering up the control panel, it is how they recommend to handle firmware updates

Mike

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 06, 2017 09:04 |  #10

dpe wrote in post #18467042 (external link)
Not how I would do it

Mike

dpe wrote in post #18467133 (external link)
the caps will discharge from powering up the control panel, it is how they recommend to handle firmware updates

Mike

That decidedly does NOT discharge the power capacitor!!! You stand a good chance of finding yourself jolted across the room if you merely 'turn the unit on'. Even 'firing' the unit does NOT fully discharge it...it merely lowers the current to where it no longer discharges between an air-gapped junction. Making the unit ready for firmware update is not the same as when you have to reach in and possibly serve as the inadvertant conductor of a good amount of residual charge still in the power capacitor!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,401 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 06, 2017 10:59 |  #11

We always discharged large capacitors across the tops of soda cans. Makes a loud noise and flash, and might put a hole in the can, but they were safe to handle later. We cannot assume any capacitance is even running to the bulb unadulterated though. Without knowing the design of the unit when power is turned on or off, we are just making assumptions of what might or might not be a good idea to clear the charge.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

saea501
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 06, 2017 11:03 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18467170 (external link)
That decidedly does NOT discharge the power capacitor!!! You stand a good chance of finding yourself jolted across the room if you merely 'turn the unit on'. Even 'firing' the unit does NOT fully discharge it...it merely lowers the current to where it no longer discharges between an air-gapped junction. Making the unit ready for firmware update is not the same as when you have to reach in and possibly serve as the inadvertant conductor of a good amount of residual charge still in the power capacitor!

thanks, Wilt.....but he probably won't believe you either.

A power capacitor discharge into the control panel. Well, it would make for a good show.......once. :-(

Bob

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 06, 2017 16:42 |  #13

Fwiw, I took a well insulated screwdriver and bridged the contacts on the bulb, nothing happened.

A capacitor holds the charge until it is told to let go of it, right? Basically a switch is thrown and the current is released?

On a good day I can kinda understand this stuff. Lately there haven't been a lot of good, clear headed days.

Derp.

sponsored links

5,982 views & 4 likes for this thread
Removal of broken 360 bulb ???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.