Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 07 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 10:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Picture Sharpness Question

canongear
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Oct 07, 2017 10:01 |  #1

Hello
Would this picture be considered to be in sharp focus?

The picture is straight out of the camera.
Other than the in camera processing of the landscape picture style and the resizing of the image for posting here, no post processing at all has been done.
Posting the JPEG image as I'm not sure how to post a RAW image.

Posted the screen shot to show where the auto focus point was on the bird.

I'm not sure how far from the bird I was as I took many pictures but the farthest I would've been would be roughly 50yds.
Based on this image, I would say I was much closer than 50yds for this particular shot.

The bird isn't really big in size so, I couldn't fill the frame with it.
It's either a lesser Yellowleg or Solitary Sandpiper.
Not really sure as it's my first time seeing this type of bird.

I'm curious about the sharpness quality as the picture was taken with a newly purchased lens.
I'll have some follow up questions at some point about a couple of things if anyone is interested in giving their thoughts and opinions.

It's a really nice day here so, I'm heading out to practice some more with this lens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Oct 07, 2017 10:11 |  #2

Not sure why the camera and lens information doesn't appear at the top of the first image but, if it makes any difference, the camera used is the Canon 40D, and the lens used is the Canon.. I can't believe I spent that much..
AKA the 100-400 v2

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 07, 2017 11:11 |  #3

Looks in focus to me. But can't be sure without a 100% crop. Even then it's open to interpretation. If you want to see if your lens is focusing bang on with the body, do it with a controlled test with a measure of some kind to indicate if you're focusing is dead on, or if it's front or back focusing a little. Your image looks fairly in focus. But at this scale on the web, it could be out of focus yet look find because it's resized to this scale and viewed at this scale. 100% crops are easier to tell more from.

Even then, it will be hard to tell because that bird barely fills a small percentage of your FOV which means very, very few pixels on target. So low pixel density on your subject. That means when you go to look at it at full size (100%) or work the image, it will not scale very well because of the few pixels actually on the bird. That bird easily 1/9th or 1/10th of the pixels, or fewer, so maybe about 1MP of actual data. Small bird, and you're too far away. Nothing you can do about that. So don't use this picture as a means to figure out if your lens is sharp or in focus, this is really not a good test subject for that.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 07, 2017 11:15 |  #4

Other than the in camera processing of the landscape picture style and the resizing of the image for posting here, no post processing at all has been done.

It looks pretty sharp to me, but usually a image needs some additional sharpening especially after it has been resized.

Posting the JPEG image as I'm not sure how to post a RAW image.

You can't. You can upload it to something like Dropbox & post a link to it here, though.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

teekay
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 07, 2017 11:16 |  #5

canongear wrote in post #18467800 (external link)
....Would this picture be considered to be in sharp focus?.........

Yes.

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Oct 07, 2017 20:35 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18467853 (external link)
Looks in focus to me. But can't be sure without a 100% crop. Even then it's open to interpretation. If you want to see if your lens is focusing bang on with the body, do it with a controlled test with a measure of some kind to indicate if you're focusing is dead on, or if it's front or back focusing a little. Your image looks fairly in focus. But at this scale on the web, it could be out of focus yet look find because it's resized to this scale and viewed at this scale. 100% crops are easier to tell more from.

Even then, it will be hard to tell because that bird barely fills a small percentage of your FOV which means very, very few pixels on target. So low pixel density on your subject. That means when you go to look at it at full size (100%) or work the image, it will not scale very well because of the few pixels actually on the bird. That bird easily 1/9th or 1/10th of the pixels, or fewer, so maybe about 1MP of actual data. Small bird, and you're too far away. Nothing you can do about that. So don't use this picture as a means to figure out if your lens is sharp or in focus, this is really not a good test subject for that.

Very best,

Your last paragraph is very informative to me.
I haven't done much bird photography so that information is good to know.
I've read that you can never have enough reach for bird photography especially for the smaller birds.
I'm just a bit surprised that the bird didn't fill more of the FOV as I wasn't really that far away from it and the lens was at 400mm.
I couldn't get any closer to it as I was pretty much at the waters edge.

Was hoping to see the same type of bird today at the same location to see if I could get closer but, no birds showed up.
I think I may have caught the last of these particular type of birds as they were passing through the area during their migration south.

As far as the lens focus being bang on, I suspect it is.
Any negative focus issues would be due to me.
I'm not use to using this type of lens and I've realized a couple of things about using it over the past couple of outings.

I was wondering about the sharpness of the image because of the older camera body being used and if that would affect the effectiveness in anyway of the new lens being used with it.

Thanks for you reply.

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18467855 (external link)
It looks pretty sharp to me, but usually a image needs some additional sharpening especially after it has been resized.
You can't. You can upload it to something like Dropbox & post a link to it here, though.

I do plan on doing some PP with the image but wanted to provide the sooc image to show the "true" image and have any replies based on that.
I use a particular sharpening technique that seems almost to easy compared to some of the other ones out there for Photoshop but, I don't know if it's actually the best technique to get the best results.

If you have any links that you would like to provide for sharpening in Photoshop or Lightroom, that would be great.

Thanks for your reply.

teekay wrote in post #18467858 (external link)
Yes.

Thanks for your reply.

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Oct 08, 2017 03:37 |  #7

The 40D was/is a great camera body. It was my second body I purchased and wore out a mirror box and 2 shutter assemblies on it. I still own it. Your image looks sharp enough to my eye.

I stand next to a few photographers that own your lens and they often add a 1.4 extender for a bit more reach...it may be worth a try if you own one.

Not being able to get close and fill the frame isn't the end of the world. Take what your subject offers you and go from there. One of my favorite Snowy Owl images from 2013-2014. I crawled on the beach for a 1/2 hour to get this distant shot because it's all the owl would allow me. 1050mm with stacked extenders.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.3rdicreations.comexternal link

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Oct 08, 2017 08:41 |  #8

Duane N wrote in post #18468253 (external link)
The 40D was/is a great camera body. It was my second body I purchased and wore out a mirror box and 2 shutter assemblies on it. I still own it. Your image looks sharp enough to my eye.

I stand next to a few photographers that own your lens and they often add a 1.4 extender for a bit more reach...it may be worth a try if you own one.

Not being able to get close and fill the frame isn't the end of the world. Take what your subject offers you and go from there. One of my favorite Snowy Owl images from 2013-2014. I crawled on the beach for a 1/2 hour to get this distant shot because it's all the owl would allow me. 1050mm with stacked extenders.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Duane N in
./showthread.php?p=184​68253&i=i23271656
forum: Bird Talk

Nice picture.
I'd say the crawling was worth it.

Thanks for the sharpness confirmation and advise regarding filling the frame.

I do like the 40D and it's the camera that has started me down this slippery slope of this hobby.

I probably will get an extender but, that will have to wait until next Spring.

Thanks for your reply.

sponsored links

1,372 views & 6 likes for this thread
Picture Sharpness Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.