Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 13:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Slow flash sync on 6D?

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Oct 10, 2017 03:47 |  #16

Time to youtube slow flash sync and see what this is?

On a side note I was shooting the other day mid afternoon with good sunshine and wanted to decrease the ambient light to get more of a pop out of the scene. So I dropped my shutter speed fairly low and used flash to expose for my model/friend. I was concerned that I would get motion blur but the flash seemed to stop motion and the picture of the subject came out very clear with no blur. Is this an effect of using flash? If i was shooting without flash im pretty sure I would have had motion blur.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,834 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 10, 2017 06:56 |  #17

BigAl007 wrote in post #18469507 (external link)
Guess I should have been clearer, my post was strictly in relation to the situation where you want to have a longer shutter speed. I see no point in going to manual and "get that shutter speed right down and your aperture up f8" when Av mode will do exactly that automatically.

Av is great in that situation since, as long as you stay within the power range of the flash, it will manage the ambient while matching the flash output at the same time. The use of EC will allow you to control the brightness of the ambient, with FEC controling the flash exposure. Of course you still have to pay attention to what you are doing, checking that the settings are within your requirements.

I agree that when you want to fix the shutter speed to control subject movement, then going manual will be better. Go with the best aperture for the required DoF and use the flash as the main light source if you are using ETTL flashes. At that point I would just use my manual studio strobes, and control everything manually.

Alan

NP. All good conversations.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

1,060 views & 2 likes for this thread
Slow flash sync on 6D?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.