Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 23 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

first maternity shoot

drjitesh
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 09:41 |  #1

I am a noob, and just starting off, but daringly offered to do a maternity shoot for my friends as a baby shower gift. any tips on timing/ posing/ post prod and flash usage would be greatly appreciated. I am deathly afraid of screwing this over, and am contemplating upgrading to FF for this event only. thought ?

sponsored links
Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Aug 23, 2017 17:20 |  #2

drjitesh wrote in post #18434844 (external link)
I am a noob, and just starting off, but daringly offered to do a maternity shoot for my friends as a baby shower gift. any tips on timing/ posing/ post prod and flash usage would be greatly appreciated. I am deathly afraid of screwing this over, and am contemplating upgrading to FF for this event only. thought ?

I am assuming just 2 people, mom/dad or are there children.

I don't know your equipment, but use a longer lens with a wider aperture, crop camera is just fine (F/1.8-F/4 is fine)

With any portraiture, shoot at the last two (or first two) hours of light (if out doors).Back lighting is great, just add in OCF (off camera flash, direct on from up high is flattering). Manual mode (can use live view to get setting quickly) Adjust camera for ambient light and slightly under expose ambient, add flash until the person is proper exposure. Flash in softbox at 8' may need around 1/2 power. Aperture/Iso effect flash. Shutter/Iso effect ambient. If you don't have OCF, use a reflector from above (will need help). Shooting with them in shade is also great, but if in the sun, if not overcast, be sure the sun is at their backs and add in fill light.

Posing, a quick search of POTN, Google or Pinterest will show lots of posing ideas. Print a few of them out or have them saved on your phone as when you are out in the field, it is easy to lose your train of thought and forget what you are doing. If posing two people, have lots of points of interaction hands/hips, don't crop off fingers or at joints and watch for hands coming from no where reaching around the other person. It is not a matter of learning poses, but learning what to look for in what makes a good pose. Refer to Roberto Valenzuela's books Picture perfect posing and Picture perfect practice. He also has videos on Creativelive.

Not all shots have to include or be focused on her belly. #1You can shoot wider and have her slightly looking down as if, but not directly at her belly as this hides her face from the camera. #2They can be hugging and have him look at her (forehead or cheek, never eye to eye as it looks weird) and her as if looking at belly. One of her hands on top and bottom of belly with him hugging from behind and perhaps his hands on hers.#3 you can have her/them straight to camera, 3/4 to camera or even have her sideways. #4 have her on a nice stool with him hugging from behind. #5 from straight above with her holding baby shoes in the palm of her hands or a stuffed animal on the ground, with them slightly out of focus in the back ground.

Slow down, take your time and visit. It is better to get 5 good shots then 25 okay shots. As you slow down the shooting and mood of the shoot every one relaxes and things go smoothly. Optional is to ask her if she has any ideas of the images that she is looking for. If yes, have her send you those images. Don't be over whelmed by others standards, just look for the light and get good exposure and expressions

With this said, do you have any specific questions?

Good luck and we look forward to seeing your images.

deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 25, 2017 15:24 |  #3

I'm a noob as well, but did a maternity shoot a while back for my wife's cousin. I have the photos sitting in a Box account. I could share it with you if you wanted to take a look for ideas. Just let me know.

http://www.famsnap.com (external link)
5DMII | Canon 40 f/2.8 STM | Canon 84mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 26, 2017 01:05 as a reply to Micro5797's post |  #4

Thanks ! i appreciate the time you took , will post some soon!

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 26, 2017 01:06 as a reply to deronsizemore's post |  #5

Thanks !

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 26, 2017 01:07 |  #6

deronsizemore wrote in post #18436862 (external link)
I'm a noob as well, but did a maternity shoot a while back for my wife's cousin. I have the photos sitting in a Box account. I could share it with you if you wanted to take a look for ideas. Just let me know.

how can i see those pics ?

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 26, 2017 19:54 |  #7

this was from a impromptu shoot a few years ago , c/c ?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Oct 10, 2017 18:54 |  #8

so this was my first attempt with a set up, any critiques/ comments welcome ! thanks :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Oct 10, 2017 19:45 |  #9

drjitesh wrote in post #18470044 (external link)
so this was my first attempt with a set up, any critiques/ comments welcome ! thanks :)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by drjitesh in
./showthread.php?p=184​70044&i=i202489384
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by drjitesh in
./showthread.php?p=184​70044&i=i185803515
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events

They are both nice images.

#1. Be careful about having a background that is a lot brighter then the person. The first place my eye goes in the image is to the left of the mother to the bright fence. Idk how things looked at your back, but if she had turned 180 degrees, the light bouncing off of that fence would have been flattering light. It would add warmth to the image, if it adds too much (as wood can do) then just cool down the image (or just the skin via an adjustment brush in PP) as needed.

She has a nice soft pose, no tension in her hands or her shoulders, so well done with that aspect.
Eye contact is always needed, just make sure that you get both poses (looking and not looking at camera). As we do not get to see all of your images.

#2. I love the processing and the hands are posed very nicely.

Over all, well done. Thank you for sharing your images with us!

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Oct 10, 2017 20:54 as a reply to Micro5797's post |  #10

Thanks for the great critique, i am still trying to learn Lightroom, these were edited on iphoto :lol:
couldn't get the wood grain to detail as much, which i wanted.
the advice is much appreciated !

here s a eye contact shot, but lighting is not as good.

HOSTED PHOTO

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Oct 11, 2017 11:43 as a reply to drjitesh's post |  #11

All you need to do with that last one is up exposure by half to a full stop, then lower highlights down till it looks right. I do it a lot.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

1,039 views & 5 likes for this thread
first maternity shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.