Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 04 Sep 2017 (Monday) 17:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Different option to 135L, new portrait angle wanted

ricduncombe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 09, 2017 06:29 |  #16

Hi guys thanks for all of the opinions

My mind has been turned to stick with Canon and try an 85L out. As mentioned, used prices are pretty good, less than I expected which puts it right at the same cost as a new Sigma 85, only the Canon L lenses really dont depreciate so much whereas the Sigmas already have dropped a lot and I just don't like how after years, their quality control seems to be out.

It seems to share a similar love that the 135 gets, and that for me is enough. I am glad there are so many 135L users still around!

instagram #ricduncombe

sponsored links
artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been edited 1 month ago by artsf.
Sep 23, 2017 11:34 |  #17

135L gives me the best shots and the only viable alternative is 85L, IMO. I tried 85L and decided to stick with 135. 85L has huge MFD enough to notice every time you shoot. it is much heavier and MUCH slower to focus especially when using DPAF (5div) to the point that it is unusable for video.
85L has same or better colors, handles shooting against bright ligh much better - no flaring, loss of contrast. It is as sharp at f1.2 (center) as 135 at f2. Great for head and shoulders and studio where space is an issue. However, I still prefer 135L for outdoors due the extra compression that brings a bit more magic to full body environmental portraits even if DoF is similar. I’d wait until 85 1.4 is released to make a decision as it may turn out the best compromise. I love 50L but would not recommend it as a substitute to 135L. It has similar rendering quality but loses its magic and sharpness for full body portraits. It is a great indoor, low light lens and a very flexible video lens (any light, DoF control, fast focus, size/weight, etc.)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 23, 2017 11:48 |  #18

The angle isn't the only thing. You really should consider, how close to the subjects do you want to be for your composition. The closer you are, the slower the glass can be and retain some shallow depth of field (example 50mm at F4 at close range will still blur nicely). You don't need F1.2 or F2 on a telephoto to blur. Those will blur of course, but often times, especially with the 85 F1.2L the DOF is so thin that their eyes are in focus but their nose and stuff are not (looks completely silly to me, but to each their own). These long very fast telephoto primes are good when doing full body if you want maximum blur, on a fully body portrait. For busts and head shots, you can get away with F2, F4, etc. Sometimes you need to stop down if you're close to the subject so that both eyes are still in focus.

So don't fret over angle.

Think more about what your, or more importantly your subject's, comfort zone is in terms of how close you are to them when taking their photograph and what composition you want from that distance. That will tell you what focal length to run.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ricduncombe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 24, 2017 07:21 |  #19

Thanks for the continued posts. I am keen to see how the 85L performs on the road compared to the 135L, I am happy to own both.

One question I have, on receiving the 85L, the focus ring is very loose, which I understand is normal. However, should it be loose enough to have a tiny bit of play? Mine has about .5mm movement up and down and side to side and will make and audible 'rattle' in any direction. Photos look great and it seems very sharp (yes, MFD is large), but for such a tank, the focus ring feels a let down. Has anyone else experienced this?

instagram #ricduncombe

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by mdvaden. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 11, 2017 23:44 |  #20

I don't care for the 35mm or 50mm to get head and shoulders ... maybe thigh to head. Farmer Ted mentioned the upcoming 85mm with IS that's after you leave. But that's what I'm going to get, plus keep my 85mm 1.2

I had a Sigma 85mm non-Art that I very much enjoyed. I'd get the Art as I'm right at that point, but have time to wait for the Canon's release. I'd suggest looking at the Sigma 85mm. When I started like 6 years ago, I had the Canon 85mm 1.8 and it seemed so-so to my liking.

Even with good used prices on an 85mm 1.2 ... I'd consider the Sigma due to focus speed, etc.. Both are a tad heavy.

Even though I have f/1.2 and f/1.8 ... I often shoot portraits at f/2 or f/2.8 as with the 70-200. And get pretty nice bokeh. In light of that, one extra hat to throw in the arena may be this Tamron 90mm macro w/ IS

https://www.amazon.com ...fRID=T6922YGS8K0VKQ​4T5G9R (external link)

It should make nice portraits, is close to 85mm, has IS and a good price. Plus macro.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RPCrowe.
Oct 12, 2017 11:08 |  #21

A totally different way of looking at things:lol: I like a 70-200mm zoom for travel and for portraits. I personally use the f/4L version but, if you are willing to carry it - the f/2.8L IS II is a super lens.

And, yes... You can get a narrow DOF with the f/4L IS lens... When shooting a the longer focal lengths...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 13, 2017 01:17 |  #22

Interesting change of events. I ended up buying the Tamron 90mm macro I mentioned in my previous post. Plus the Tamron 85mm with VC.

I was going to pre-order the new Canon 85mm 1.4 with IS. But after reading stellar reviews of the Tamron and since I own the 85mm 1.2 L already, I bought both Tamron for less than the new Canon.

Actually, one photography commentator who I enjoy, wrote that Tamron's new 85mm 1.8 in some ways competes with Zeiss Otus, which was rather surprising to read.

Now I have 4 Canon L lenses and will own 5 of Tamron's best.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,718 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 13, 2017 09:29 as a reply to mdvaden's post |  #23

So you have 3 85mm lenses, and a 90mm lens...seems like a bit of overlap ߘ

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links

1,744 views & 8 likes for this thread
Different option to 135L, new portrait angle wanted
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.