Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 02:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

lsquare
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 09, 2017 02:47 |  #1

Is it just me or that Gitzo tripods are getting ever more expensive? I'm currently using a Feisol CT-3442 tripod. I really dislike how the tripod when fully extended doesn't have a wider stance. This is my first non-Gitzo tripod. Prior to this, I have always used Gitzo tripods. I've decided I'm going to go back to Gitzo, but I'm wondering if it'll be any cheaper as we head towards the Christmas season?

I want to make sure I get it right this time with the tripod. I am 173cm tall. I'll be using the tripod with either a RRS BH-40 ballhead or the Acratech GP-SS ballhead. I have a Fujifilm X-T2, XF 10-24mm, XF 18-55mm, and XF 55-200mm lenses.

My last Gitzo tripod was the GT1541T tripod. I felt it was a bit short with the Markins Q3T ballhead. Having said that, I'm thinking about the Gitzo GT1545T, Gitzo GT2545T, Gitzo GT2542, and Gitzo GT2543L tripods. I would prefer not to use the centre column unless it's absolutely necessary. So which tripod would you guys pick?

Thanks!

sponsored links
rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Oct 09, 2017 06:28 |  #2

GT2531EX 6X. The "center" column can tilt at any angle.

a gobba gobba glass

FPP
Joined Aug 2009
Perrysburg, OH
Oct 09, 2017 10:22 |  #3

When I got my GT2532EX about 5 years ago, it was indeed on sale near Christmas. Of the options you listed, I would choose one of the 2-series tripods. I believe the 2542 can be used without the center column.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 09, 2017 10:51 |  #4

1. Not using lenses over 300mm routinely, I would choose the 2-Series.
  2. Because of 2-series lighter weight than the 3-series, this facilitates portability on foot.
  3. I prefer 3 leg sections, not 4 sections, because fully extending and collapsing is faster with fewer twist locks to deal with.
  4. As for max height, it must be remembered that the best photgraphic position may well be NOT at your usual eye level!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 09, 2017 16:28 |  #5

lsquare wrote in post #18468810 (external link)
Is it just me or that Gitzo tripods are getting ever more expensive? I'm currently using a Feisol CT-3442 tripod. I really dislike how the tripod when fully extended doesn't have a wider stance. This is my first non-Gitzo tripod. Prior to this, I have always used Gitzo tripods. I've decided I'm going to go back to Gitzo, but I'm wondering if it'll be any cheaper as we head towards the Christmas season?

I want to make sure I get it right this time with the tripod. I am 173cm tall. I'll be using the tripod with either a RRS BH-40 ballhead or the Acratech GP-SS ballhead. I have a Fujifilm X-T2, XF 10-24mm, XF 18-55mm, and XF 55-200mm lenses.

My last Gitzo tripod was the GT1541T tripod. I felt it was a bit short with the Markins Q3T ballhead. Having said that, I'm thinking about the Gitzo GT1545T, Gitzo GT2545T, Gitzo GT2542, and Gitzo GT2543L tripods. I would prefer not to use the centre column unless it's absolutely necessary. So which tripod would you guys pick?

Thanks!

Just a word of caution - about 10 or so months ago I went from the older Gitzo GT 3530 LS to the newer Gitzo GT 4542 LS. Guess what? It had a smaller footprint! (less wide stance). So the larger/newer model was, in some circumstances, potentially less stable. For what I use this tripod for it is irrelevant, though if it were my landscape tripod I would have had a major sense of humor failure!

I am a fan of the Feisol Tournament tripods, like yours, but I agree they are not the best tools for quick/sloppy setting up or windy conditions. If you don't need the shortest folded length then I would suggest a used Gitzo GT 2531 Mountaineer. It is lighter than the current model and with a decent head, copes quite nicely with my 300 F2.8 + 2 x extender. I tried the GT2543L that you are considering and it was no better than my "old" 2531 and was about as heavy as the 3 series systematic that I sold.

Honestly, I am a big fan of Gitzo, but I prefer their older models to the current offerings - cheaper, lighter and cope with far more than they claim.

Just my thoughts..............

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 09, 2017 16:35 as a reply to rwmson's post |  #6

Seems like a pretty good price, but I'm assuming that's a previous generation Gitzo? I wish it came in a 4 section.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 09, 2017 16:37 as a reply to johnf3f's post |  #7

So the latest generation of Gitzo tripods have a smaller stance than the previous Gitzos? That's what I'm trying to avoid because my Feisol doesn't inspire confidence when it gets windy.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 09, 2017 16:38 as a reply to FPP's post |  #8

I guess I should wait then. It's not like I'm in dire need of a tripod. In the mean time, I do have a Feisol. Still, I would like to get more comments on my next Gitzo.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 10, 2017 20:10 |  #9

lsquare wrote in post #18469280 (external link)
So the latest generation of Gitzo tripods have a smaller stance than the previous Gitzos? That's what I'm trying to avoid because my Feisol doesn't inspire confidence when it gets windy.

Well my GT3530LS had a wider footprint than my GT4542LS does. I cannot say that this is true in all cases but it is definitely something to watch out for.

My GT4542LS is only used with my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS so it is set up carefully and is a very heavy combination! For landscapes and the like I use a Gitzo GT2531 Mountaineer which has about the same footprint as the GT4542LS (more than adequate) but less than my old 3 series had. I just wanted to make you aware of a potential issue for you uses. Though I have yet to see a full size Gitzo that does not have a significantly wider footprint than the Feisol Tournaments.

Unfortunately this is one specification that manufacturers never quote! Best if you can try before you buy? Or just get an older model Gitzo?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Hokie ­ Jim
66 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Oct 11, 2017 15:50 |  #10

I bought my Gitzo as NOS...only way I could afford it  :p

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | 35/f2 IS | 100/f2.8L IS | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/Really Right Stuff BH-55 | Think Tank Urban Disguise 60

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 12, 2017 12:01 |  #11

Hokie Jim wrote in post #18470645 (external link)
I bought my Gitzo as NOS...only way I could afford it  :p

NOS: New old stock?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

MaxImage
52 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Hawaii
Oct 13, 2017 04:33 |  #12

I agree, that while the Gitzo prices are climbing, around Thanksgiving/Christmas are the best times of the year to buy Gitzos. If they happen to be changing the product lines in that particular year, then you'll get an additional bonus of extra savings. As of this writing, however, it appears as if the product lines have already undergone a refresh, but if you can hold out, or buy a used Gitzo, you'll probably save a chunk of change.

For everyday use, a 2-series is an extremely viable option in the majority of situations, especially with your setup, and will help to keep the cost down over, say a 3-series. I would shy away from the Traveler series if footprint is a concern as I've noticed that the Traveler series appears to have a smaller diameter footprint than a Systematic. How much smaller? Unfortunately, I couldn't say as I've never measured them, but visually it appears smaller.

johnohio
778 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Oct 13, 2017 08:51 |  #13

When i bought my tripod, i bought it with the thinking my gear might change over the years ( get better ). Being the frugal ( Cheap ) person i am i wanted it to work with what ever i had at the time. Some years later i still have it and am still satisfied and i actually just bought another used one.At a much better price:-). When i bought it my longest lens was a 100-400 now i have a 300 2.8 and a 500 f4. Big difference in weight . On landscape shots its overkill, but I have flexibility. It's good in the wind,snow water ,u get the point. I like to shoot wildlife these days, having a 3 section tripod is faster to set up and adjust for me. I don't use a center column. I know i haven't picked a tripod for you, hopefully i've given you somethings to think about. IMHO your the best person to choose your tripod. There have been a couple of times i (tried to save money and was disappointed with the results). Best of luck

John

Gitzo 1325 x 2

Hokie ­ Jim
66 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Oct 13, 2017 09:06 |  #14

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18471150 (external link)
NOS: New old stock?

Yup. Wimberley had a bunch of the aluminum pre-Systematic ones, still in the plastic.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | 35/f2 IS | 100/f2.8L IS | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/Really Right Stuff BH-55 | Think Tank Urban Disguise 60

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 13, 2017 09:13 |  #15

Hokie Jim wrote in post #18471814 (external link)
Yup. Wimberley had a bunch of the aluminum pre-Systematic ones, still in the plastic.

Cool.

I did carpentry work for a living for a number of years, in two different stretches. I loaned my favorite hammer to a coworker who fried it on a hot electrical wire. I found a NOS Belknap 16 ounce hammer.... it cost me $125. LOL This for a wooden handle hammer. ;)

Belknap makes the best hammers. Well, they used to. They've been out of business since the 1980's, I think, though a group has tried to bring them back. Best known as Kentucky Bluegrass hammers, they have that feel: better balanced than any other manufacturer, at least, in my opinion.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

333 views & 4 likes for this thread
Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.