Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 16:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lubricant/Oil On 6D Battery Contact?

david.g.photo84
48 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 12, 2017 16:25 |  #1

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after spending the most I have ever spent on a camera I want to make sure it is free of defects before my return period runs out with B&H. I received a generic PAWA battery with my kit and have never really used it until recently. Yesterday after letting my camera sit overnight I decided to remove the battery and keep it stored until the next time, but when I removed the battery I noticed a small drop of what appeared to be oil. I rubbed my finger on it and it rubbed off fine, but I'm not sure what that was. I inserted my Canon battery and checked it, but it looked fine and free from that oil substance

I have read that DSLR's have lubricants, but those are primarily located in the shutter. I am not sure if this could have happened during the manufacturing process or possibly from my hand. I doubt it was water due to it remaining on the batter overnight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

David

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,205 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 12, 2017 16:33 |  #2

Throw the battery in the trash. Don't let a $10 battery ruin a $1,000 camera.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 12, 2017 16:34 |  #3

Not a lubricant. If anything a leaky cell. Discard crappy battery posthaste.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 12, 2017 16:45 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

Thanks for the quick replies! Since B&H included this battery with my kit I felt that it would be a safe choice. Apparently that's not the case. Is there anything I should do to the battery compartment or as long as I stop using the battery everything should be fine? As I mentioned before, I inserted my Canon battery and didn't see anything once I pulled it out. I'd hate to send everything back to B&H, but I don't want to have any issues.

Thank you,

David

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,205 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 12, 2017 16:49 as a reply to david.g.photo84's post |  #5

Call. B&H. See what they think.

Tom

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,679 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 12, 2017 16:52 |  #6

That is a lithium based cell so don't use anything acidic or a base (like baking soda). I'd just get a paper towel, dampen it, make sure it is just barely moist, wrap it around a pencil and reach into the cavity and move it around to clean the area. Do this a few times, new towel each time, then leave the battery cavity open overnight to ensure the battery cavity is dry.

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 12, 2017 16:57 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #7

Would I be able to use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol? Or is that too harsh of a liquid?

Thank you,

David

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Phoenixkh.
Oct 12, 2017 17:09 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #18471355 (external link)
That is a lithium based cell so don't use anything acidic or a base (like baking soda). I'd just get a paper towel, dampen it, make sure it is just barely moist, wrap it around a pencil and reach into the cavity and move it around to clean the area. Do this a few times, new towel each time, then leave the battery cavity open overnight to ensure the battery cavity is dry.

Or possibly use a tiny bit of alcohol instead of water and do the same procedure. I keep some 99.99% alcohol or some such percentage around just for cleaning purposes.

I was looking to make sure that's what I am using, David... and you posted in the meantime.

I got some 99% isopropyl from Amazon to use for stuff like this. It cleans things up very well, doesn't leave any moisture or residue behind. Great stuff.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,679 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 4 months ago by John from PA.
Oct 12, 2017 17:10 |  #9

david.g.photo84 wrote in post #18471359 (external link)

Thank you,

David

I wouldn't use alcohol at this stage, just a slightly damp paper towel to remove the excess. The liquid from a Li-ion is relatively harmless. Unlike an alkaline battery it won;t continue to cause corrosion unless neutralized. You just want to remove the excess. Use a dry paper towel if something with moisture causes you some concern.

Don't let water contact the suspect battery and store it in a plastic bag until you can hear from B&H. They are likely closed to some extent until the weekend due to a religious holiday.

PhotosGuy
75,054 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 17:45 |  #10

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18471364 (external link)
Or possibly use a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol instead of water and do the same procedure. I keep some 99.99% alcohol or some such percentage around just for cleaning purposes.

I was looking to make sure that's what I am using, David... and you posted in the meantime.

I got some 99% isopropyl from Amazon to use for stuff like this. It cleans things up very well, doesn't leave any moisture or residue behind. Great stuff.

Isopropyl alcohol is OK, but rubbing alcohol is Ethyl alcohol with added oils & chemicals & so I don't recommend it.
Pure Ethyl alcohol is also OK. I've used both for cleaning.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

eddieb1
707 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Post has been edited 4 months ago by eddieb1.
Oct 12, 2017 17:49 |  #11

david.g.photo84 wrote in post #18471359 (external link)

Thank you,

David

Alcohol would be my first choice, especially if it is oil. Plus it will evaporate quickly if you happen not to remove all of it.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 12, 2017 18:03 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18471392 (external link)
Isopropyl alcohol is OK, but rubbing alcohol is Ethyl alcohol with added oils & chemicals & so I don't recommend it.
Pure Ethyl alcohol is also OK. I've used both for cleaning.

Thanks. I meant to edit that after I looked up what I purchased and get rid of the "rubbing" part, but I'm at work and interrupted about 4 or 5 times while I'm typing a post. Our duties vary but today, I'm .... well, let's just say, I have limited time. ;)

Thanks again for pointing that out... I'll edit out the "rubbing" part.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,679 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 4 months ago by John from PA.
Oct 12, 2017 18:51 as a reply to post 18471426 |  #13

I stand corrected, water is not advisable but alcohol also may not be advisable. I knew from work that there were issues with the electrolytes in Li-ion battery vapors and felt alcohol and its evaporation would likely increase that risk. Not to raise alarms but further research resulted in the MSDS sheet for the Canon LP-E6 battery. You can find the MSDS sheet at http://support-vn.canon-asia.com ...6%20(Rev22Jan16)%20​SA.pdf (external link).

Read down a bit and you will find the content below. The "steam" (the vapor) can be harmful so efforts should be made to avoid breathing it or having skin contact. Alcohol would increase the vapors so perhaps work outdoors. Note as well that water with the electrolyte can creat hydrogen flourite which is highly caustic.

Personally, after having seen the MSDS sheet, I'd just clean the compartment carefully with a paper towel. If you do use alcohol use it sparingly.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

2,211 views & 1 like for this thread
Lubricant/Oil On 6D Battery Contact?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.