Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 05:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Talk to me about the 6D as a wedding camera.

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Oct 09, 2017 05:06 |  #1

I have a 5D4 and a 7DII.

I have come to really dislike the look of the 7dII images in low light when photographing people. I actually love the 7DII as an all round camera but I don't think its for me with weddings. I load up the images from both cameras in LR and when I come across the 7DII images at higher ISOs, I just do not like them. Also the Auto white balance sucks for low light work... I don't know why.

So I am thinking the 6D might be a good second camera. It would be a backup camera and will have a 35 1.4 or the 24-70II (when the 70-200 is on my 5D4.

Anyway.... I am aware of the "primitive" AF system on the 6D but I am ok with that. I shot sport on a 5D2 so I will be fine. My real question is... will the 6D get me in pretty much the same ballpark as the 5D4 in terms of overall IQ?

Thank you.

sponsored links
ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Oct 10, 2017 14:11 |  #2

If money is not an issue, get the 5D IV. I have been using 2 6Ds for 3 years to shoot portraits and weddings, and I love the ISO performance and image quality, but i'm really tired of having to focus and recompose.

You'll get a lot of people complaining about the lack of dual cards, so you have to make sure you have a plan to limit that threat as much as possible.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Oct 11, 2017 15:23 as a reply to ShotByTom's post |  #3

I agree about focus and recompose, but I think the IQ is stunning. Here's an example from the other day:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300, DSC-RX100M2 |

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Oct 11, 2017 15:35 |  #4

Ok, so I just realized that you were concerned about low light... so here's a shot, no flash, ISO 3200 with the 6D from a wedding rehearsal dinner:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300, DSC-RX100M2 |

SereneSpeed
708 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Oct 11, 2017 19:11 |  #5

My experience with the 6D is limited. But for me, no, it did not get me in the same ballpark. I found the 20MP sensor to be surprisingly soft/smaller than the 5D3. I know that if you test the 6D side by side with the 5D3, the 'test results' show better high iso image quality. But I never had a problem shooting clean 3200 iso images with the 5D3.

The 6D also has last years black point... i.e. black is actually dark grey.

The 6D gets you in the same ball park as the 5D3 - for sure. But not the 5D4.

This is of course, just my opinion. And, I should add that I find the 5D4 to be a HUGE improvement over the 5D3 - unlike some people.

http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/dmwbphotography (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/danielmwbuehle​r (external link)

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Oct 11, 2017 19:57 |  #6

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18470747 (external link)
My experience with the 6D is limited. But for me, no, it did not get me in the same ballpark. I found the 20MP sensor to be surprisingly soft/smaller than the 5D3. I know that if you test the 6D side by side with the 5D3, the 'test results' show better high iso image quality. But I never had a problem shooting clean 3200 iso images with the 5D3.

The 6D also has last years black point... i.e. black is actually dark grey.

The 6D gets you in the same ball park as the 5D3 - for sure. But not the 5D4.

This is of course, just my opinion. And, I should add that I find the 5D4 to be a HUGE improvement over the 5D3 - unlike some people.

Thanks for that. I have nothing but love for the 5D4 files. Straight off the camera, I do not have to do much at all.

I have not owned a III, but I came from the II. I am lead to believe that the II and the III and very similar in terms of IQ, and I feel that IV is a quantum leap from the what I was used to.

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Oct 12, 2017 04:13 as a reply to George Zip's post |  #7

Having owned both the 6d and the 7d2, and now having the 5d4 i would say the 6d IQ will be much closer to the the 5d4 than the 7d2.

Sure you will be able to tweak the 5d4 images more if not exposed properly or in harsh lighting conditions, but in well exposed 'normal' lighting conditions the 6d is pretty close to the 5d4.

If anything I found the 7d2 images soft by comparison.

My thoughts based on what and how I used them, others may differ.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 12, 2017 05:31 |  #8

The 7d2 benefits from great glass and AFMA, to get the most from it.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Engagements-and-Weddings/Jerry-and-Hope-Gerber/i-t6s99Lb/0/a236c166/X2/216A0613-X2.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../216A0613-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

majix
Joined Aug 2013
Plano TX
Oct 12, 2017 20:18 |  #9

I've used 6d/5d3 for over 30 weddings , if you use your wider lens on 6D you will have less issue with focus points and focus recompose would be much easier than a long lens with narrow depth of field.
I mostly use sigma 35 on 6d and 85 art on 5d3

Majid flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
http://www.mjdfoto.com (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
Oct 12, 2017 21:21 |  #10

Shot over 30 weddings with the 6D and my only problems are pretty much what everyone else has mentioned. I usually use it with a wide angle so I don't have to focus/recompose and the single card slot is not really optimal, but the image quality is great. Never had any complaints about that. ISO is also pretty stellar in low light. I have no qualms shooting 6400. Files clean up nice in LR.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link

sponsored links

691 views & 1 like for this thread
Talk to me about the 6D as a wedding camera.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.