Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 05:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Godox VS Profoto A1

this thread is locked
fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 13, 2017 00:19 |  #76
banned

Daggah wrote in post #18471569 (external link)
One of the things that make me biased against Profoto right from the start is that I find even their company name to be egregious and arrogant.

Yeah that make sense... luckily for you there are other brand names that isn’t so offensive...

:rolleyes:

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Post has been edited 6 days ago by Daggah.
Oct 13, 2017 01:37 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #77

Well, none of the other brands are arrogant enough to try to label them as the "professional photography" (shortened to Profoto) gear in their company name...Broncolor, Elinchrom, Quantum, etc.

We're talking about a company that slaps its arrogant logo on a $10 umbrella and then charges $100 for it. It should be no surprise that it slaps its name on a speedlight made in China and then asks $1000.

Nikon D800/D750/FE and Olympus E-M5 shooter
flickr (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Post has been edited 6 days ago by abbadon31.
Oct 13, 2017 01:53 |  #78

Godox has been building strobes for over 30 years and if they were such junk why is broncolor and elinchrom working with them. This seems like the old Canon Nikon pissing contest.

I AM SHOM

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 13, 2017 02:11 |  #79
banned

Daggah wrote in post #18471645 (external link)
Well, none of the other brands are arrogant enough to try to label them as the "professional photography" (shortened to Profoto) gear in their company name...Broncolor, Elinchrom, Quantum, etc.

We're talking about a company that slaps its arrogant logo on a $10 umbrella and then charges $100 for it. It should be no surprise that it slaps its name on a speedlight made in China and then asks $1000.

We are talking about a company that is well known and respected in the business, so you can drop the attitude.

Price is relative. I don't have any issues with the price per se, but I do find their marketing for the A1 a bit amusing, to say the least.

As for their name, you do realize I'm from Sweden... and it's a Swedish brand, I'm well aware of what Profoto means and what the company stands for.

While I don't shoot Profoto I still acknowledge them as one of the best in the business and the fact they supplied the industry with professional grade gear for decades.

Blog (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by fotopaul. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2017 02:15 |  #80
banned

abbadon31 wrote in post #18471650 (external link)
Godox has been building strobes for over 30 years and if they were such junk why is broncolor and elinchrom working with them. This seems like the old Canon Nikon pissing contest.

Who said they where junk ? (in this thread)

Elinchrom works with Phottix for skyport HS controller , not with Godox. Just because retailers bundles Godox batteries with monoblocks does not mean Elinchrom is working with them.

Broncolor works with Godox radio technology, not with their lighting.

Blog (external link)

Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 13, 2017 02:16 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #81

Maybe a simpler way to put it: I don't have a problem with companies claiming they're a professional photography company. But a company that claims that they're THE professional photography company...that's arrogant.

If they're the best in the business, why did they feel the need to fly "Profoto ambassadors" to Sweden and bribe them with free gear? Why do Profoto ambassadors feel threatened by products that cost 1/5th the price?

flickr (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 13, 2017 02:23 |  #82
banned

Daggah wrote in post #18471655 (external link)
Maybe a simpler way to put it: I don't have a problem with companies claiming they're a professional photography company. But a company that claims that they're THE professional photography company...that's arrogant.

If they're the best in the business, why did they feel the need to fly "Profoto ambassadors" to Sweden and bribe them with free gear? Why do Profoto ambassadors feel threatened by products that cost 1/5th the price?

Think we are done here. :rolleyes:

Blog (external link)

Daggah
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 13, 2017 02:33 |  #83

jlafferty wrote in post #18471077 (external link)
The idea that anyone suggests install base, name recognition or price - on their own - validate the the tools they choose to work with, the quality of their work, or are the only path to True Professionalism... speaks volumes about their insecurities.

This quote by jlafferty really cuts quite elegantly to the heart of the matter IMO. So I'll quote the post again to highlight this specific comment.

flickr (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Oct 13, 2017 02:37 |  #84

fotopaul wrote in post #18471653 (external link)
Who said they where junk ? (in this thread)

Elinchrom works with Phottix for skyport HS controller , not with Godox. Just because retailers bundles Godox batteries with monoblocks does not mean Elinchrom is working with them.

Well this just proves you you don't have the inside information. Thank you for your input

I AM SHOM

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 13, 2017 02:54 |  #85

Daggah wrote in post #18471569 (external link)
One of the things that make me biased against Profoto right from the start is that I find even their company name to be egregious and arrogant.

I always assumed the Pro in their name was for [In Latin] and foto in Swedish means picture. So their products are for pictures but I might be wrong there. Probably a better name than calling your products a Bovine deity though.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by Robinson Crusoe. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2017 05:54 |  #86

As I switched from the simple Yongnuo system I had to Godox lineup I'm in heaven right now.

So I just don't have the experience to compare the 2 systems. One thing I felt like writing is I respect Chinese manufacturers. They listen to the customers and give them what they want. Not only about Camera Lighting systems, whatever they produce. I don't see the same approach from arrogant American, European or Japanese producers in the market(I wish I could add my country to at least this list but we don't produce much, that's another story -?)

I know I'll be executed because of what I write but let him who is without sin cast the first stone :)

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,491 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 13, 2017 06:30 |  #87

fotopaul wrote in post #18471614 (external link)
Yeah that make sense... luckily for you there are other brand names that isn’t so offensive...

:rolleyes:

Well, I'm told the literal translation from the Chinese of Godox is "holy cow."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2017 07:10 |  #88

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #18471712 (external link)
As I switched from the simple Yongnuo system I had to Godox lineup I'm in heaven right now.

So I just don't have the experience to compare the 2 systems. One thing I felt like writing is I respect Chinese manufacturers. They listen to the customers and give them what they want. Not only about Camera Lighting systems, whatever they produce. I don't see the same approach from arrogant American, European or Japanese producers in the market(I wish I could add my country to at least this list but we don't produce much, that's another story -?)

I know I'll be executed because of what I write but let him who is without sin cast the first stone :)

I see alot of companies across the board listen to customers, no matter the country. For example Adorama in the US listens to customers for the Flashpoint brand and will request different features, etc on what they sell. Prusa in Prague is listening to customers on his 3D printers. Just to name 2 right off the top. Arrogance/Pride is a human trait, not a geographical trait, and was one of the original human failures.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by TeamSpeed. 5 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2017 07:13 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #89

Too bad it didn't mean Yummy Cow.... :)

Not sure how the name of the companies have anything to do with the discussions of the virtues or flaws of the goods sold by them though? ;) The absolute bottom line to all of this is that the big names are feeling the pinch of smaller more nimble companies bringing things to market faster, as evidenced by their comments, their marketing strategies, consumer questions and comments in forums, and yes, even their collaborative efforts. I only plan on having my lighting equipment for 5-10 years tops, and will then upgrade.

Not having a ton of money invested (ie. tied up in) expensive equipment affords me this luxury and this is how I manage all my tech in my life. I don't care about the name of the company, I just need to see some type of longevity in the product, and Godox has been around a long time. I have seen enough info through the years to know my lighting gear will last as long as I need them to, whether I lug them to the local parks and gardens for shots, for studio set up in a couple of locations here, or for family gettogethers.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 13, 2017 08:46 |  #90

dpe wrote in post #18469522 (external link)
When a demonstrator for the company feels he has to denigrate a competitors device, especially one that is really not in the same market it says volumes, an ethical comapny / demonstrator would let their own device prove its own worth

Mike

I should probably read the rest of the thread before responding but here goes. I agree with you with one caveat. I was in industrial sales for 19 years, selling automation equipment to the printed circuit board assembly industry. It was sort of a small group of sales people. Most of us were independent reps. Because it was such a niche market, we always knew who represented what companies and knew the individual sales people as well. We all attended the same trade shows, etc.

There were sales people whose strategy was to denigrate their competition... and others of us who preferred to concentrate on the strengths of our products. It was important to know how your competitors sold against you so you could tailor your presentation.

My point is.... lots of times, it isn't the company who makes the sales presentation decisions, though, yes, that can also be a factor. It often comes down to the individual sales person. Like you, I'm of the personal belief that being positive is a much better sales approach. I'd rather say: "Well, we take a slightly different approach than Company X." when asked about this feature or that, instead of saying... "Oh... they sell a POS." But that's me. One's personality ends up coming through.... it can't really be avoided.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

6,673 views & 54 likes for this thread
Godox VS Profoto A1
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.