Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 11 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 17:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Spyder Lens Cal W/ Flash?

david.g.photo84
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 11, 2017 17:12 |  #1

I have just purchased the Lens Cal and will probably be doing this inside my dimly lit home due to the perimeter of my house not being very flat. What I would like to know is if it would be ok for me to use flash while using the device indoors? I have read that it's better to use the lowest ISO possible and I can't do that indoors. The only other option that I can think of is using a low ISO and slow shutter to let more ambient in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

David

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Oct 13, 2017 03:09 |  #2

You need a good light on the target when focusing so the focusing system can lock accurately. So get yourself some kind of reflector to illuminate the target.

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Post has been edited 5 days ago by Micro5797.
Oct 13, 2017 09:34 |  #3

You could also use a couple of desk/table lamps (60 watt +), or a halogen work light (they are rectangle and in a cage). You will be frustrated in a lower light setting and add a lot of time/effort.

Even a chain mounted 4' florescent tubed shop/garage light works well. Each of these lights runs about $20-$40 usd. Perhaps even a couple of flood lamps in the desk lamp, without the lamp shades due to the heat of the higher wattage bulbs. There are also clamp lights (silver reflector and a clamp) you can use high wattage bulbs in these and they are directional.

Led may even work, but i recommend other types of bulbs as they will have better contrast for a higher accuracy when AF on the target. I have tried 60watt equivalent led bulbs 6" above the target, It takes multiple bulbs like this to get enough light.

Set your WB according to the bulbs that you use for ease of use.

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 16, 2017 16:43 |  #4

Thanks for the advice! I do have some table/standing lamps that I can use near the target.

289 views & 2 likes for this thread
Spyder Lens Cal W/ Flash?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.