Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 27 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 12:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Characteristics of a Legacy Portrait

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 27, 2017 12:05 |  #1

For discussion:

What might be the characteristics of a portrait that would make successive generations cherish a portrait of Great-great-grandma Brittany or Great-great-grandpa Brad?

Tonal key? Physical size? Pose? Expression? What are some of the similarities of portraits that people cling to when they don't even personally know the persons portrayed?

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 27, 2017 12:22 |  #2

This is something that I have given some thought to recently, but have not decided on any specifics. I do beleive that large prints are more likely to provoke a response. Given the restorations I have seen, I feel that maintaining the aged look of older prints is important too.

I personally like the harder lighting and classic posing in most older portraits.

I wonder if all that still applies to modern prints?

Could a recent photo be lit , posed and color graded to look like it had some age, and would that increase its perceived value either now or in a decade?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 27, 2017 14:26 |  #3

Time and change makes any portrait as the true legacy.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 27, 2017 14:31 |  #4

I would think a portrait that shows the connection (even if candid), or a formal (purpose) would hold up a lot longer to someone because it either invokes an emotion or resembles something purposeful, like a formal.

Compared to what my great-great-grandkids will look back to and see mom's cellphone selfies with them as babies and that's the historical images they have to look to. :(

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 28, 2017 09:20 |  #5

I spend a good amount of time studying painted portraits (love browsing A Stroke of Genius (external link) website ), where the primary intention of the image is to be a legacy portrait that will hang on the wall for generations.

The most basic similarity is, of course, that they are in hard copy--physical form. Another is physical size--almost never less than 16x20 and frequently 30x40 or larger. The size is often a function of achieving a reproduction of head size close to life, so a 16x20 is likely a head-and-shoulders portrait while a 30x40 may be half- or 3/4 length.

There is something visually impressive about scale in seeing a good portrait as it nears life size, and that is, I think, one of the factors that make the portrait more likely to be retained.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Sep 28, 2017 10:41 |  #6

For an ancestral portrait, I would say 90% pose and 10% technical expertise. The pose part is the hardest. Rather than a formal pose, I would value it more it they were doing something, preferably with a child who might be my mother/father or grandmother/grandfathe​r.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 29, 2017 23:01 |  #7

Families don't throw away painted portraits--why do they throw away photographs?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by airfrogusmc. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 03, 2017 07:53 |  #8

In my opinion the ones that really stick are the ones that capture a bit of the person. That above technical qualities. If you have a technically sound images that captures nothing of the person then what do you have? Something worth tossing I would say. If you twist people into poses that do not reflect who they are but are some kind of pre packaged, cookie cutter, set of poses then what is that saying about your subject? The truly great portrait photographers would usually meet with their subjects and watch they their subjects natural body language and then they tried to pull that out when it came time to take portraits.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Oct 10, 2017 12:32 |  #9

RDKirk wrote in post #18463175 (external link)
Families don't throw away painted portraits--why do they throw away photographs?

Thanks for starting a good discussion.

As you've suggested, scale makes a difference as does volume. Many families have huge physical or electronic piles of photographs. A painted portrait, even of indifferent quality, is a relative rarity for most.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RDKirk.
Oct 10, 2017 13:08 |  #10

I do senior portraits and note that while the seniors usually want something illustrating their personal activities, their parents want something more conventional for the wall.

I'm also old enough to have seen most of my own high school cohort not at all wishing to revisit those high school activities on their own walls today. But the conventional portraits that don't present no-longer-applicable activities or embarrassingly outdated styles.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Oct 11, 2017 09:26 |  #11

RDKirk wrote in post #18463175 (external link)

A painting can't be recreated from a [physical or digital] negative.

Once the post work is done, reprints from digital negatives are easy. Reprints from physical negatives are a bit more difficult, but still possible - definitely not starting completely from scratch, as would be the recreation of a painting.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RDKirk.
Oct 11, 2017 10:10 |  #12

nathancarter wrote in post #18470415 (external link)
A painting can't be recreated from a [physical or digital] negative.

Once the post work is done, reprints from digital negatives are easy. Reprints from physical negatives are a bit more difficult, but still possible - definitely not starting completely from scratch, as would be the recreation of a painting.

When I say "throw away," I mean "throw away." Discard entirely, not reprinted...simply not cared enough about to retain.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Oct 13, 2017 12:34 |  #13

I'd say that capturing the emotions and expressions go a long way to achieving this. And being of a resolution you can print large enough to go in the great hall of Castle Myen (your lounge). Joyous facial expressions and anything that hints at what lies beneath the facade should do the trick.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

2,186 views & 4 likes for this thread
Characteristics of a Legacy Portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.