Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 08 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 16:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrading, not clear which is right for me....

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,858 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ketchikan Alaska
Oct 08, 2017 16:41 |  #1

I currently have a Canon 40D i bought here a few years ago and it has worked well. I am wanting more out of my camera now. I want better low light indoor sport ability (I would like the 1Dx something, but just because i CAN afford something it doesn't mean i SHOULD, i do this for fun, not work!), i also shoot a lot of wildlife as I live in S E Alaska. I do manage to TRY to shoot landscapes as I have no end of that here... I am leaning towards a the 5D mk iv, but am not sure if thats too much camera for what I want or if it will do what I want. I love the idea of the 30mp in the 5D iv.... What other cameras should I consider?

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,145 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 08, 2017 17:25 |  #2

Staying in APS-C, you could also consider the not-yet launched 7DIII which is expected, or even the 7DII ...if you properly expose and do not 'push process' badly underexposed shots, the 7DII is quite better than the 40D for very low light shooting. This shot was an experiment at ISO 12800 in EV -3 low light

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/ISO%2012800-1_zpsmdfgrvnu.jpg

the noise is visible primarily because this is a crop of about on 10% of the entire frame
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/full%20frame%2012800_zpsayorvpnh.jpg

The 80D is also a good contender with a sensor using a lot of low noise technology seen in the 5DIV.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

superdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,858 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ketchikan Alaska
Oct 08, 2017 23:24 |  #3

How is the 80D for indoor sports like basketball or swimming or volleyball?

How does the 80D compare to the 5D IV or III for landscape?

Newbie still learning

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Oct 09, 2017 00:07 |  #4

Go FF. Go 5D4.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 13, 2017 07:49 |  #5

superdiver wrote in post #18468749 (external link)
How is the 80D for indoor sports like basketball or swimming or volleyball?

How does the 80D compare to the 5D IV or III for landscape?

The 5D4 has better ISO for lower light shooting than the 80D and will drive the lens AF a bit faster, I feel. There might be no discernible difference in sports tracking between the two depending on the sport, and the amount of light. If you are reach limited however, cropping down the 5D4 to the the 1.6 FOV is going to level the playing field quite a bit though, I feel, so you might as well save some cash, get the 80D and some newer faster lenses.

The 7D2 is a better AF machine I feel, especially for sports, over the 80D too, but you lose some useful features.

Either APS-C is more than capable over the 40D, and provides some funds to get better glass, because glass you might have bought back in the 40D era won't yield the best results on the newer offerings. The 3rd party lens market, and Canon too, have brought out some very, very good glass in the past few years.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 13, 2017 08:06 |  #6

superdiver wrote in post #18468582 (external link)
I currently have a Canon 40D i bought here a few years ago and it has worked well. I am wanting more out of my camera now. I want better low light indoor sport ability (I would like the 1Dx something, but just because i CAN afford something it doesn't mean i SHOULD, i do this for fun, not work!), i also shoot a lot of wildlife as I live in S E Alaska. I do manage to TRY to shoot landscapes as I have no end of that here... I am leaning towards a the 5D mk iv, but am not sure if thats too much camera for what I want or if it will do what I want. I love the idea of the 30mp in the 5D iv.... What other cameras should I consider?

Heya,

What is it about 30Mp that you like so much? I only ask because what you're looking to do, you get better ISO performance from larger pixels, not more pixels, so if you're going to live at ISO 12,800 and higher, maybe consider a camera with larger pixels (less MP). This is why the 1DX is great with high ISO. If you're not printing a billboard, you really don't need a huge number of pixels for viewing pleasure. Even web images are barely 2MP at "full HD resolution" unless you are way into 4K. Just throwing that out there. It's easy to get hung up on bigger numbers. But for your ideal use, indoor sports, fast AF, great tracking, good high ISO performance, etc, a used 1DX might be a valid option for you. With good processing you can make most modern cameras result in a clean high ISO image that is very useable. TeamSpeed has lots of resources to show that 7~8 year old small pixel cameras (like the 7D and later) can produce very workable high ISO images, take a look at his resources. If you combine good processing (with good exposures for the high ISO) and have a large pixel size on a modern sensor, you'll get a lot more out of high ISO shooting. After that, for your purpose, it's all about the AF performance in low light (and newer cameras with -3 EV AF sensitivity can be really nice for this purpose).

Glass matters too. Assuming you're already using F2.8 zooms, or faster primes?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 13, 2017 08:33 |  #7

There is more to pixel size regarding high ISO, and I would put the 5d4 against the 1dx especially if there is any cropping to be done at all. But yes higher resolutions are only needed primarily if a) you crop quite a bit and want large results or b) you do very large prints.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,862 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Oct 13, 2017 10:06 |  #8

If you're happy w/ your lenses and haven't bought mostly EF-S lenses, I'd pick up a 5DIV. You get the full frame sensor and most of the function of an 'action' camera like the 7DII, although not quite as fast; in one body. Having shot in your neck of the woods a tiny bit, with the 7DII, I really really wished I'd had a FF body to shoot the landscapes with while I was up there. The 7DII did much more than passable, but framing shots on the little sensor was sort of a PITA to me.

Since I'm not in dire desire for a new body, I'm waiting to see what they wind up doing with the 7DIII, but there's a very good possibility that I switch over to 5DIV as my next body.

That said, for the things you're talking about using it for, either a 5DIV or an 80D are going to treat you great. And, as mentioned by other posters, if you go w/ an 80D you should have some wallet latitude for upgrading glass if you want/need adjustments in that arena as well.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

superdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,858 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ketchikan Alaska
Oct 13, 2017 12:46 as a reply to Snydremark's post |  #9

Thanks all for the way knowledgabel input! I just bought a nice 7DII from a member here. I shoot MOSTLY spots and wildlife.. So I got a great deal and will try the 7DII for a while, i think it will be a big upgrade from my very old and used 40D. I may pick up a used 5DIV down the road should the price and want meet at the same point...LOL Thanks again for the input and reminding me how these things really work...

Newbie still learning

sponsored links

498 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading, not clear which is right for me....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.