Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 11 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 18:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Clients not responding after delivering images

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 12, 2017 17:26 |  #16

Perhaps next time you might include in your email to the client to let you know that they have received the images. If you are worried just ring them with a 'follow up after shoot' phone call to thank them again for the work etc... It's normal enough to not get a response for a while from some clients.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

sponsored links
richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:43 as a reply to post 18471041 |  #17

They were edited very minimally..exposure/co​lor corrected. Just no skin retouching yet. And no out of focus/blurry photos/duplicates.

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:44 |  #18

nathancarter wrote in post #18471121 (external link)
Lots of people use proofing galleries. The proof gallery isn't necessarily every image, and isn't necessarily "straight out of camera" (whatever that means).

I often do an initial cull (deleting a lot of bad and mediocre shots) and apply a batch process to what remains, then present those as proofs to the client for their final selections. I do myself a huge favor by letting the client do the work of picking which ones get the full retouch.

Thank you!

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:44 as a reply to post 18471131 |  #19

Will do! Thanks!

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:45 as a reply to post 18471340 |  #20

Yeah my bf said it's no big deal. But I just wondered if any other photographers had the same issue. Thank you!

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:46 as a reply to Two Hot Shoes's post |  #21

I was thinking that! Thank you.

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:48 as a reply to post 18470988 |  #22

It was a proofing gallery as stated before. I give the option to my clients. I have come across really picky clients who may not like how their arm crossed in a photo, so I let them choose once I have color corrected them and done minimal editing. I do not do extensive retouching anyway. But thank you!

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:50 as a reply to post 18471001 |  #23

I'm not sure if they are ungrateful...but I just feel like it is common courtesy to say thank you. But as like you said, I usually get a response greater than a thank you anyway, so I was alarmed but not anymore. If there was an issue, I am sure they would state it.

richelle1025
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Michigan
Oct 12, 2017 18:53 as a reply to post 18471055 |  #24

lol no but if I handed someone my card to pump my gas..it would be rude to roll my window up and drive off as soon as they are done. A simple, thank you, would be appreciated I'm sure. But thanks for responding. I love seeing if I am overreacting or not.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,859 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 13, 2017 07:54 |  #25

FYI: New Jersey and Oregan don’t let you pump your own gas and still have attendants do it. They say the laws are for safety, but the states have considered repealing them (since there’s an argument that gas is a few cents more then neighboring states). The attendants still expect a tip.

As for clients not responding after a transaction, I also wouldn’t think much of it. People are more likely to follow up if they have a complaint or negative review. Most my freelance work is producing 3D animations for companies. It may take some time to even get paid after invoicing (depending on their billing cycles). If they come back with another project, then I really know they’re happy with my work. I think the suggestions of some follow up for letting your client know you’re available for further work is good.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,227 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2017 07:59 |  #26

Again however, shooting a set of family portraits where you get to know the folks and are communicating one-on-one with them before and during the shoot is quite a bit different than just doing assembly-line photographic work for a business.

Doing a family shoot is much more personal, and as such, there are usually other courtesies that go along with that type of gig. I have never done a senior shoot, family shoot, or even a studio family shoot "assembly-style" where I have not been thanked for the work after delivery. I won't get upset if it doesn't happen, just more curious than anything.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,859 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 13, 2017 08:27 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #27

Again, every client is different. Some don't follow up with thanks or how much they enjoy your work: that just might be their nature. For the OP, the only time I'd really worry is if they continually complained or didn't say anything and leave a negative review (assuming you were going through a services site). Not all commercial photography or other graphics endeavors are impersonal. Commercial photographers still interact with editors or the models they're shooting. In my field, I develop a personal relationship with the project manager (the main separation is they're not handling my payments). Some follow up with acknowledgement of download/ how much they'll use my renders....some don't. Following up with just a short note to say you hope they enjoy your deliverable and think of you for future work, enforces your presence temporarily. I know some self employed artists who have a large Rolodex of previous clients that they'll send holiday cards to for continued presence.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Oct 13, 2017 08:30 |  #28

richelle1025 wrote in post #18471421 (external link)
They were edited very minimally..exposure/co​lor corrected. Just no skin retouching yet. And no out of focus/blurry photos/duplicates.

That makes sense then, as it was not mentioned originally.

I agree with the others in that you shouldn't think too much of it, but I would send a note maybe a week later just saying thank you for the opportunity and that it was a pleasure to do business with them. It may cost you a dollar total to send a thank you card, but that little bit goes a long way in the world of customer service these days.

As far as not responding to you, you really don't know if something happened in their lives that is distracting them, so don't push the issue.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Oct 13, 2017 18:43 |  #29

davesrose wrote in post #18471767 (external link)
FYI: New Jersey and Oregan don’t let you pump your own gas and still have attendants do it. They say the laws are for safety, but the states have considered repealing them (since there’s an argument that gas is a few cents more then neighboring states). The attendants still expect a tip.

As for clients not responding after a transaction, I also wouldn’t think much of it. People are more likely to follow up if they have a complaint or negative review. Most my freelance work is producing 3D animations for companies. It may take some time to even get paid after invoicing (depending on their billing cycles). If they come back with another project, then I really know they’re happy with my work. I think the suggestions of some follow up for letting your client know you’re available for further work is good.

When I lived in NJ, and visit there for work, I never ran into an attendant hoping for a tip. I was in Oregon a few weeks ago and they didn't seem to expect a tip either. NJ had the cheapest gas in the area, which is why people didn't want to change it when I lived there.

Back on topic....yeah, it would be polite to have said "thanks", but no news is good news with many customers too. :-)

USA members- don't let the airlines buy the air traffic control system: http://www.atcnotforsa​le.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,889 views & 19 likes for this thread
Clients not responding after delivering images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.