Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 06:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Has anyone tried the Canon Branded rain covers?

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Oct 12, 2017 06:43 |  #1

I need something that completely covers the back but is easy to take on and off but still allow good access to the back of the camera. I have used the LensCoat rain cover but the back is completely open when in use which can be a problem. These look good and I can always use added Velcro tape to customize the fit around my monopod or tripod. I would need all sizes S,M and L to be able to use them with all my gear.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 12, 2017 12:48 |  #2

Canon's are rather pricy, $100 for the small. Have you looked into what some bag makers are offering, like the Ruggard at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...ic_rain_shield_smal​l.html (external link) for $25.

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Oct 12, 2017 21:33 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Yes but unfortunately the less expensive Nylon fabric covers are open at the back and therefore if it is windy the back of the camera still gets wet. Plus all the cheaper Nylon covers are water resistant not waterproof. :-( The canon ones cover the back but still allow easy access to all the camera controls plus they are very light weight, waterproof and easy to pack and quick to install. I can use extra Velcro tape to adjust as necessary. Unfortunately for my lenses I will need one in each size. I have used storm jackets and they are OK but again not waterproof and they have the same open back design. Many of the other waterproof options are very bulky and much harder to pack than the Canon ones.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 12, 2017 21:45 |  #4

Well, there is the Kata style that have clear plastic over the back and hand access sleeves on the side, or if you want to spend the money there are the Aquatech units. Big money, but if it were me that's the way I'd go.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Oct 12, 2017 21:54 as a reply to Scatterbrained's post |  #5

I like the Aqua-tech ones but they are so expensive and I think the canon ones will easily get the job done. They are lighter and easier to pack. If money was no object the Aqua-tech covers are really nice.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 13, 2017 07:50 |  #6

"One size fits most" is always going to be a consideration when you compare against something made for a specific camera or make of camera. I suggest you look at the Ruggard but do so at the Ruggard website (http://www.ruggard.com​/listing?category=2407​3 (external link)). Then look at the items called "rain cover", not "rain shield". They are a compromise design for Canon/Nikon but do offer good shielding for the back. The downside is they are also pricey but not as pricy as Canon.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Oct 14, 2017 23:09 |  #7

Peak Design Shell

http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...ralight-camera-cover.html (external link)

IMAGE: http://images.1kindphotography.com/reviews/images/peakdesign_shell8.jpg

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

butterfly2937
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Oct 15, 2017 06:40 |  #8

It does not look like you can use this and keep the back of the camera covered while using the camera.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 15, 2017 07:31 |  #9

butterfly2937 wrote in post #18473012 (external link)
It does not look like you can use this and keep the back of the camera covered while using the camera.

I agree. From the review at the link provided it states

Conclusion : Overall, the Peak Design Shell Ultralight Camera Cover does a great job at repelling water and it does a great job of protecting the camera. It would of been nice if there was a way to leave the cover on as is but still be able to view the back of your camera like a clear flexible plastic and still be able to take pictures.

sponsored links

399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone tried the Canon Branded rain covers?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.