Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 13 Oct 2017 (Friday) 12:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Real Estate Photography Kit

myownalias
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Oct 13, 2017 12:41 |  #1

Good [whatever time of day it is for you];

I have been a professional real estate photographer for the past four years and I have evolved from the Canon T3 through the T3i through to the 80D and from the kit 18-55mm to 10-18mm STM to 10-22mm USM! I really like the results I get with my 80D and the 10-22mm, I have been limited to 1.6x crop sensors due to financial reasons, plus, I really like the pop-out screen on the T3i and 80D for when I am crammed into the corner of the room.

I have recently come into a decent sum of money and *maybe* looking to upgrade to a full frame camera. I like the look of the new 6D MkII (as it features the pop-out screen), however, I have been told by employees in camera stores that it's not that great, even compared to my existing 80D.

So, my question is; is it worth the upgrade? I was thinking of pairing it with the Canon 14mm L lens to get a little wider angle that I get with my 10-22mm for those super small rooms. I was also considering the 5D MkIV with the same lens, would the extra $1200 spend over the 6D MkII be worth it?

I will be using this camera for general photography as well, landscapes, wildlife and family photography, with the 24-105mm L. I'm not one to spend money just to have the bragging rights, the upgrade has to make a tangible difference to my photography, I'm no kit snob.

Thank you in advance for your opinions/views.

Jason

My Kit: Canon EOS 80D, EF-S 10mm - 22mm, EF-S 18 - 55mm, EF-S 55mm - 250mm.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Phoenixkh.
Oct 13, 2017 15:39 |  #2

myownalias wrote in post #18471950 (external link)
Good [whatever time of day it is for you];

I have been a professional real estate photographer for the past four years and I have evolved from the Canon T3 through the T3i through to the 80D and from the kit 18-55mm to 10-18mm STM to 10-22mm USM! I really like the results I get with my 80D and the 10-22mm, I have been limited to 1.6x crop sensors due to financial reasons, plus, I really like the pop-out screen on the T3i and 80D for when I am crammed into the corner of the room.

I have recently come into a decent sum of money and *maybe* looking to upgrade to a full frame camera. I like the look of the new 6D MkII (as it features the pop-out screen), however, I have been told by employees in camera stores that it's not that great, even compared to my existing 80D.

So, my question is; is it worth the upgrade? I was thinking of pairing it with the Canon 14mm L lens to get a little wider angle that I get with my 10-22mm for those super small rooms. I was also considering the 5D MkIV with the same lens, would the extra $1200 spend over the 6D MkII be worth it?

I will be using this camera for general photography as well, landscapes, wildlife and family photography, with the 24-105mm L. I'm not one to spend money just to have the bragging rights, the upgrade has to make a tangible difference to my photography, I'm no kit snob.

Thank you in advance for your opinions/views.

Jason

Do your work photographs end up on the MLS or are you doing brochures in addition? I'm sure every area is unique to some degree but around here, the MLS destroys photographs with low resolution, etc.

If they end up online in a better format, full frame photographs would or could be better, but at what cost?

Now for your hobby/fun stuff..... It might make a difference there, but that really depends on you. I do mostly wildlife stuff and esp. birds. I love the photographs I get out of my 1D IVs. I have a 6Dc for inside family stuff. I have only had the 6Dc for a few weeks so I don't have much history with it. I took a few hundred photographs of a wedding reception a few days after I got it. They came out alright but I used the 1D IVs for all the outside, beach wedding shots and truth be told, I like those files better. Of course, it's not a fair comparison... indoors to late afternoon sunshine.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

myownalias
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Oct 14, 2017 15:44 |  #3

Thanks for responding Phoenixkh,

I do both, my primary work is as a digital marketing manager, which involves uploading to our corporate website, which does resize physical dimensions (max width of 1950px), but not quality. I upload my images at 1024 h/v for web use and use 2400 h/v for print, which yields good results for a lower storage cost.

My wife is a realtor and I take photos for her for upload to the MLS, I also have a few other realtor clients, who do the same. I deliver the photos in 1024 h/v and they upload the images themselves to the MLS.

Another bit of useful information would be, that I shoot in 5 bracket HDR using LR /Enfuse with my 80D on a tripod, which obviously lengthens my workflow. I was wondering whether full frame would give me a better dynamic range to take a single shot and process it in Lightroom only.

My primary use would be work, being the thing that makes me money,

Thanks,
Jason

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 14, 2017 16:04 |  #4

The differences in DR for a single shot at ISO 100 might be 2-3 stops from the very best new SONY to your old T3i. The DR usually seen in RE photography requires bracketing way more than that.

So, does the 80D have more working room at base ISO than the 6D? Yes. Is it going to impact your work in a meaningful way? Probably not.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

myownalias
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Oct 14, 2017 19:04 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18472655 (external link)
The differences in DR for a single shot at ISO 100 might be 2-3 stops from the very best new SONY to your old T3i. The DR usually seen in RE photography requires bracketing way more than that.

So, does the 80D have more working room at base ISO than the 6D? Yes. Is it going to impact your work in a meaningful way? Probably not.

That is what I heard, the 6D tends not to have the best dynamic range compared to its little 80D brother. However, I don't shoot at 100 ISO, I use 320 ISO, F5.6, which gives me front to back sharpness with my 10-22mm. Maybe if I had a full frame camera, I would shoot at 100 ISO due to the bigger sensor size. That said, shooting at 320 ISO produces very little noise, even at 1:1, plus I crop down and/or resize to 2400px, which makes any noise disappear.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 14, 2017 19:48 as a reply to myownalias's post |  #6

The reason I mentioned ISO 100 was to establish a consistent starting place and also because that is where the greatest difference lies in DR between different sensors. As ISO increases, the differences shrink.

In other words, the rate Canon's DR decreases with ISO increases, is less than the rate a Nikon with a Sony sensor decreases. Depending on exact models being compared, Nikon and Canon are even at 800. For me, this is why the DR argument is a bit overblown, if I'm shooting at 100 there is typically enough light to not worry about shadows. If I'm shooting at 1600 or higher, I'm doing just as well or better than a "higher DR camera".

Regarding sensor size and ISO, there is nothing magical about a lager sensors ability to gather light that will allow you to shoot at lower ISO values. 400 5.6 is a typical starting place for me with my 6Dc. Speaking of the original 6D, at less than half the price of the 6DII, for RE shots, I would choose it all day long. Wifi tethered shooting is better than a tilty screen.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Oct 14, 2017 21:22 |  #7

One needs to keep in mind that 'dynamic range' really has MULTIPLE DEFINITIONS.

1. Instantaneous DR...the range of brightnesses in a photo capturable from White with detail to Black with detail, with zero playing with 'pushing'
  2. ISO invariance 'dynamic range'...the ability to underexpose a shot by -3EV to -5EV, and then 'push' it in postprocessing, with minimal banding and other noise artifacts, without making the 'shadow' areas objectionable with digital noise

The Sony Exmor sensor is far better for #2 than any Canon prior to 5DIV or 80D; the Sony Exmor is slightly better for #2 than than the 5DIV and 80D.

The Sony is not much better than any Canon sensor for #1...both need to resort to HDR composite imaging to increase the DR of the scene that one encounters in RE photography during the day, with very very bright outdoor area lit in sunlight and dimly lit (in comparison to outdoors) interiors. And one Canon sensor is not much better than another Canon sensor for wider instantaneous DR.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

myownalias
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post has been edited 1 month ago by myownalias.
Oct 15, 2017 14:28 |  #8

Thank you, Left Handed Brisket and Wilt.

LHB, I just prefer the pop-out screen, I tested the remote shooting via Wi-Fi on my 80D and really didn't like it.

My process is importing into Lightroom, export to LR/Enfuse, then reimport into Lightroom for final exposure and cropping, for 24 photos, that takes about 2 hrs.

I will stick with what I have if I still have to use the same workflow to get the same results after spending out $4k on new kit, the 80D with 10-22 gives good results using bracketed shots and HDR. This gives good bright interiors while still exposing for the windows.

The reason I asked here is that I have been told time and time again by other photographers that I can't be a professional photographer without full frame and L lenses. Not that I have believed it as I have seen their shots and they look no better than mine in a resized and/or cropped final format.

I actually had the debate when I was handed a bunch of photographs taken by an apartments[dot]com photographer and instructed by my boss to upload those images, so I arranged a meeting with my boss and compared the two sets of photos and he actually agreed that mine was better.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, I appreciate it, my question was answered, I'm not going to spend more money for little to no return in this use case.

Jason

troutfisher
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Oct 15, 2017 15:51 |  #9

Surely you should be looking at the 24mm TS-E Mk2 for real estate

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 15, 2017 16:20 |  #10

troutfisher wrote in post #18473376 (external link)
Surely you should be looking at the 24mm TS-E Mk2 for real estate

NOT unless OP is getting rid of APS-C for FF!
When I mount my OM 24mm Perspective Control lens, it is on a 5D, not on a 7DII.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Phoenixkh.
Oct 15, 2017 16:33 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18473395 (external link)
NOT unless OP is getting rid of APS-C for FF!
When I mount my OM 24mm Perspective Control lens, it is on a 5D, not on a 7DII.

Agreed... I often take photos of kitchens my wife designed... with a crop, I used the 15-85 to get it near 24mm on a full frame.

I use the ID IV now... if there is enough light.. I will use my new to me 6Dc in low light situations, with the 16-35 f/4 IS.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

myownalias
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Oct 15, 2017 16:53 |  #12

I've decided for the time being to stick with the 80D and 10-22mm EF-S, If I were to upgrade to FF, I would either get the 14mm or 16-35mm, I don't see a need for a T/S lens as I don't have a problem with converging lines in my shots using the 10mm. Maybe if I was in somewhere like New York where I could charge much more money, the average shoot price is $100 in Kansas, and a T/S lens is very expensive for this market!

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Oct 15, 2017 20:39 |  #13

myownalias wrote in post #18472771 (external link)
Maybe if I had a full frame camera, I would shoot at 100 ISO due to the bigger sensor size.

I shoot my 6d at ISO 400. Now, I use off-camera lighting, and the higher ISO means I can run my flash units at lower power, saving battery life. The 6d handles noise very well up through at least ISO 1600. My biggest issue has been the lack of good focusing points outside of the center one. The 6dMKII has apparently resolved that issue. For wide angle, I use the Tokina 16-28 F/2.8.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

309 views & 1 like for this thread
Real Estate Photography Kit
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.