Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 13:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Laptop help (Mac) upgrade

davesrose
Goldmember
2,857 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 14, 2017 20:51 as a reply to post 18472808 |  #16

It doesn't appear like any of the posters on this thread are gamers intent on picking fights (other then your posts that are drawing outlandish generalities and personal insults).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Oct 15, 2017 21:21 |  #17

I appreciate the feedback.

Well no point fighting over which is better, I only asked if for my needs which would suit me better and I think the answer is going to be Apple. I like to keep an open mind and if there was something that was better value then I would defo look into it.

I just can’t help but remembering how many times I had to “re-install” windows to sort issues or do this or that constantly... in all my years of Mac it’s never crashed, never asked me to stop what I’m doing and spend hours re-installing stuff or fixing stuff just carry on working and updates in the back ground etc.

For me that is how I expect it to work and if I have to pay a premium for that so be it. Apple care and online chat is brilliant too, few issues I’ve had they have sorted in mins and I’ve carried on!!

So do I need a top spec MacBook Pro for editing or can I get away with say the 13inch base model? If I can save some money I’m all up for that... :-)

Only thing that smashes the iMac is rendering 4K video time lapses from lightroom, with 30-40MB RAW files, can get the machine fairly warm... but I can do that on the larger machine no problem, so more just for on the go working machine to do editing on the go.

I would be happy with a basic 12inch if it could get the job done. I don’t care for the touch bar whatsoever.

The ports are going to annoy me for sure but that’s how it is so can’t complain too much.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Oct 15, 2017 22:48 |  #18

superclarkey wrote in post #18473569 (external link)
I appreciate the feedback.

Well no point fighting over which is better, I only asked if for my needs which would suit me better and I think the answer is going to be Apple. I like to keep an open mind and if there was something that was better value then I would defo look into it.

I just can’t help but remembering how many times I had to “re-install” windows to sort issues or do this or that constantly... in all my years of Mac it’s never crashed, never asked me to stop what I’m doing and spend hours re-installing stuff or fixing stuff just carry on working and updates in the back ground etc.

For me that is how I expect it to work and if I have to pay a premium for that so be it. Apple care and online chat is brilliant too, few issues I’ve had they have sorted in mins and I’ve carried on!!

So do I need a top spec MacBook Pro for editing or can I get away with say the 13inch base model? If I can save some money I’m all up for that... :-)

Only thing that smashes the iMac is rendering 4K video time lapses from lightroom, with 30-40MB RAW files, can get the machine fairly warm... but I can do that on the larger machine no problem, so more just for on the go working machine to do editing on the go.

I would be happy with a basic 12inch if it could get the job done. I don’t care for the touch bar whatsoever.

The ports are going to annoy me for sure but that’s how it is so can’t complain too much.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

The port situation is annoying but I quickly got over it, but again my laptop is not my main editing setup.

This helped me get over the ports. https://www.hootoo.com ...-apple-charging-hdmi.html (external link)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 15, 2017 22:53 |  #19

superclarkey wrote in post #18473569 (external link)

I love the smell of red herring in the evening.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Oct 16, 2017 07:29 as a reply to mike_d's post |  #20

I have been honest I don't like windows, thats my preference, and I was giving some context to why I have that opinion. I found the whole thing very frustrating. That doesn't mean its a flawed system or no need for it as I understand it has its place etc.

If Windows ran for me as well as Apple and was cheaper I would switch in a heartbeat, I kinda like apple but I don't give a crap what I own as long as it works, this is why I asked if there was any other machines I should consider, but its turned into a apple vs PC not "here you go this is what you should buy instead" kinda of thread.

I don't know why people are so defensive one or the other...

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

davesrose
Goldmember
2,857 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 16, 2017 08:47 as a reply to superclarkey's post |  #21

I think it was the context of stating you need to continually re-install Windows for re-optimization or driver fixes. Since Windows XP, I've found I haven't needed to re-install Windows (maybe it's partly because I occasionally run malware scanners and am picky about what I install). Anyway, you've stated you prefer Mac, and that's your right.

RE: is the Macbook 12 good enough. Well it depends on what your expectations are. Some people say they like it because it's fanless: they like that there's no fan-noise during any workload. But because of that and an option of either core M3 or i5, it's not going to be as fast as larger laptops that can pack higher specs. It should be fine for basic PS and Lightroom duty, and be slower at heavy LR batches or video rendering compared to higher speced laptops.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Oct 16, 2017 14:18 |  #22

My only issue with the 13" Macbook Pro is the size. The screen size is fine, but the overall size is pretty small, and for some reason that bothers me. I prefer the size of the 15", but it's pretty good jump in price.

Do you need quad core processors for what you do? If not, then the 13" would save some pretty good money, and you can get it without the touch bar. If you aren't that familiar with the touch bar though, I would check it out. If you have programs with a lot of repetitive tasks, the touch bar comes in handy. The example I saw, the guy had buttons set up for Photoshop to create layers, layer stamps, and things like that.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links

1,119 views & 9 likes for this thread
Laptop help (Mac) upgrade
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.