Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 26 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 11:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I Hate To Be That Guy But.....

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,119 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 02, 2017 00:15 |  #16

WellsRacingPhotos wrote in post #18439888 (external link)
Thank you all for the help, I greatly appreciate it...

Which way did you go?

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
WellsRacingPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
Sevierville, TN
Sep 02, 2017 11:03 |  #17

Chose to go with the Sirui P424, all the reviews seem to be good and much easier on the wallet.

Gear: 1D Mark IV | 7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped | 20D | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 DG | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | Tokina 300mm f/2.8 AT-X | Speedlite 600EX-RT
http://www.WellsRacing​Photos.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,704 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Sep 02, 2017 14:04 as a reply to WellsRacingPhotos's post |  #18

It is a bit more than you need (no harm in that), however you will be very happy with this mono pod!

Nothing is perfect - but the P424 is the best overall compromise that I have yet found for big lenses.

Enjoy!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 11, 2017 17:38 |  #19

WellsRacingPhotos wrote in post #18442849 (external link)
Chose to go with the Sirui P424, all the reviews seem to be good and much easier on the wallet.

How has this worked out for you so far?

Any info you can give reviewing this model based on the experiences you have had with it thus far will be appreciated.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,704 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 12, 2017 18:45 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #20

Hi Tom!

I have had my P424 for a few years now and it really is a great mono pod. Whilst not the lightest - it is certainly not heavy and will support pretty much anything. Mine is used as a walking/climbing support, brush buster etc etc. I also put lenses on it too!

I have the Gitzo GM2541 which is great but didn't inspire confidence with 600mm F4 and 800 F5.6 lenses - it certainly does the job but I preferred to have something more substantial. When I was looking Gitzo simply did not make anything suitable, their nearest was a 3 series mono pod - but with 5 sections so the bottom end was no better than my existing 2 series! The 5 series Gitzos were just too big and too expensive. Whilst the Sirui P424 is 4 sections (I would prefer 3) the lowest leg section is still decently rigid and does not need to be extended much due to the available height of this Mono Pod. There are also the great big chunky leg locking rings which are just the job when your fingers are getting numb with the cold. The carbon fiber tubing has proved to be very good, resists damage well (brush clearing) and is nearly as good as Gitzo tubing of the same size. Not too sure about the retractable spiked foot - but it works.

Overall I highly recommend this mono pod - especially for lenses like your 300-800, it is just the job.

P.S. mine still looks pretty much mint despite the abuse that it has had!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 12, 2017 18:57 |  #21

johnf3f wrote in post #18471428 (external link)
Hi Tom!

I have had my P424 for a few years now and it really is a great mono pod. Whilst not the lightest - it is certainly not heavy and will support pretty much anything. Mine is used as a walking/climbing support, brush buster etc etc. I also put lenses on it too!

I have the Gitzo GM2541 which is great but didn't inspire confidence with 600mm F4 and 800 F5.6 lenses - it certainly does the job but I preferred to have something more substantial. When I was looking Gitzo simply did not make anything suitable, their nearest was a 3 series mono pod - but with 5 sections so the bottom end was no better than my existing 2 series! The 5 series Gitzos were just too big and too expensive. Whilst the Sirui P424 is 4 sections (I would prefer 3) the lowest leg section is still decently rigid and does not need to be extended much due to the available height of this Mono Pod. There are also the great big chunky leg locking rings which are just the job when your fingers are getting numb with the cold. The carbon fiber tubing has proved to be very good, resists damage well (brush clearing) and is nearly as good as Gitzo tubing of the same size. Not too sure about the retractable spiked foot - but it works.

Overall I highly recommend this mono pod - especially for lenses like your 300-800, it is just the job.

P.S. mine still looks pretty much mint despite the abuse that it has had!

It's a shame RRS is so expensive outside the States. A few years ago, I bit the bullet and purchased one of their tripods along with a monopod. Their stuff is amazing. I've never used Gitzo gear but I've seen it around many of the nature preserves, etc. I frequent and it looks to be top of the line as well. I can only say, RRS gear is a pleasure to use. I have one of their tilt heads on my monopod and the ease of use is hmmmmmm let me put it this way, I had a Manfrotto tilt head previously and I was always fighting that thing. The differences are not subtle.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,704 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 12, 2017 19:21 |  #22

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18471443 (external link)
It's a shame RRS is so expensive outside the States. A few years ago, I bit the bullet and purchased one of their tripods along with a monopod. Their stuff is amazing. I've never used Gitzo gear but I've seen it around many of the nature preserves, etc. I frequent and it looks to be top of the line as well. I can only say, RRS gear is a pleasure to use. I have one of their tilt heads on my monopod and the ease of use is hmmmmmm let me put it this way, I had a Manfrotto tilt head previously and I was always fighting that thing. The differences are not subtle.

If I lived in the US then I would probably/certainly have some RRS tripods. A fellow photographer bought one of their 3 series models a while back - simply a superb piece of kit. Whist I am a Gitzo fanboy Brian's RRS tripod was awfully nice!

My only problem was the price:eek:

My Gitzo collection has been built up over a few years and I only buy when the price is right, well at least what I consider right;-)a Anyway I bought 3 new Gitzo tripods, 1 new mono pod, 1 used Gitzo tripod, 1 used Systematic center column and a new set of Gitzo spiked feet. Guess who spent more? It wasn't me!

Whilst Gitzo list prices are pretty scary everywhere they do come along at sensible money quite often here in the UK. Unfortunately RRS tripods are simply too much here - pity as they are very, very good!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 12, 2017 19:48 |  #23

johnf3f wrote in post #18471456 (external link)
If I lived in the US then I would probably/certainly have some RRS tripods. A fellow photographer bought one of their 3 series models a while back - simply a superb piece of kit. Whist I am a Gitzo fanboy Brian's RRS tripod was awfully nice!

My only problem was the price:eek:

My Gitzo collection has been built up over a few years and I only buy when the price is right, well at least what I consider right;-)a Anyway I bought 3 new Gitzo tripods, 1 new mono pod, 1 used Gitzo tripod, 1 used Systematic center column and a new set of Gitzo spiked feet. Guess who spent more? It wasn't me!

Whilst Gitzo list prices are pretty scary everywhere they do come along at sensible money quite often here in the UK. Unfortunately RRS tripods are simply too much here - pity as they are very, very good!

I save up $__ a week... put it aside for camera gear. I spent a whole year's worth on my 34L, leveling base, plus the ball head. I've added a few things since them: gimbal head, monopod, tilt head, etc. I know it's expensive, but I smile every time I set it up or make an adjustment in the field. I use it a lot. I do handhold for birds in flight but other than that, I'm on either the tripod or monopod. I guess if I was only using it occasionally, I would have suffered through the inferior gear I purchased initially. I got fed up.... Since I can't see either RRS or Gitzo first hand, I looked at all the photographs on POTN, read the reviews, asked a few questions. Back then, the less expensive but good gear wasn't around. Sirui wasn't here in the States,or if it was, I had no knowledge of it. Their stuff wasn't mentioned on POTN back then. Most everyone was suggesting I use the Manfrotto RC2 system. I did and hated it.... Now, there are all kinds of great Arca Swiss options. I think that's awesome, though I don't regret buying my RRS stuff. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,704 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 13, 2017 16:20 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #24

Nothing wrong with RRS - except their UK prices!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,698 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2017 16:33 |  #25

johnf3f wrote in post #18472080 (external link)
Nothing wrong with RRS - except their UK prices!

and their politics.

Which we can not discuss here. But we can sate our own impressions.

I think they make the best hardware, almost without exception.
I have chosen to no longer support them despite that.

One can google to find out why if interested.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 13, 2017 18:12 |  #26

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18472086 (external link)
and their politics.

Which we can not discuss here. But we can sate our own impressions.

I think they make the best hardware, almost without exception.
I have chosen to no longer support them despite that.

One can google to find out why if interested.

It's hard to draw those lines sometimes. I love the music of some people whose politics I despise, yet I won't watch movies produced or directed by a few people who I find reprehensible.

You and I agree about the politics in the regards to RRS. I have decided to be a hypocrite and buy their gear because it's the best I've seen around the nature preserves in Florida. It's a close call for me, but I recognize it for what it is. I choose to treat people I meet with respect instead of boycotting certain products, though even there, sometimes I do buy elsewhere because of a particular religious or political slant of a company. Again, tough for me to draw that line consistently.

WellsRacingPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
Sevierville, TN
Oct 16, 2017 19:39 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #27

Sorry for the late reply, but I think its pretty much been covered now. It is a great piece of equipment for the price and definitely takes care of my 70-200 and the 300 I have easily...

Gear: 1D Mark IV | 7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped | 20D | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 DG | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | Tokina 300mm f/2.8 AT-X | Speedlite 600EX-RT
http://www.WellsRacing​Photos.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,046 views & 12 likes for this thread
I Hate To Be That Guy But.....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.