Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 10 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 12:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best printer for photos?

Optiq
THREAD ­ STARTER
392 posts
Joined May 2009
Charlotte (just north of)
Oct 14, 2017 16:51 |  #16

Thanks to all of those who replied. I never planned on using generic inks, I should have made that more clear in my OP.

I'm leaning more toward the Epson Surecolor P400 EXCEPT there will be long stretches of non-use so clogging could be an issue. I've seen mixed reports on clogging from non-use but it's enough to maybe push me back to dye based inks and the clear winner there is the Canon Pro 100. Maybe if I see one of those deals that I've been hearing about, it could push me off the fence to the Canon side.

I know manufacturers like to throw out impressive sounding numbers that don't mean much in the end but with the Epson being able to lay ink droplets as small as 1/2 that of the Canons AND be able to vary the size of the droplets in the same line, you would think there would be a noticeable difference in the prints but I guess not. Many have said pigment inks are the clear winner but Canon's been challenging that statement too.

My small but growing -=Flickr page=-external link

sponsored links
ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Oct 14, 2017 17:58 |  #17

I have an Epsom 3880 which I guess is supposed to be one of Epsom's least clogging printer but I also live in a very dry climate. My intention was to at least make one 4x6 print every week or two, but in the end I have left it for 4+ weeks without problems.

One thing I do though is to cover it with the plastic it came in and place a cup of water with it under the plastic. The idea being with the dry climate here, that would add some humidity. Obviously I have not done a scientific test, but I have not had problems.

However, I would advise with any printer that you try to make a small print every so often, at least every couple of weeks if you can. But I DO think that clogging is a pretty big deal, it can be insanely frustrating. So if you don't think you can be bothered to print reasonably regularly, then I would go for something that is least likely to clog and not worry about things like droplet size or ink type. I think unless you are doing galery-quality work that is going to be nitpicked, you'll be hard pressed to see a difference. I could be wrong, that's just based on using a few different printers and outside printing companies. Some quote a much higher density of dpi/resolution or number of inks with marketing hype and personally I really can't see an appreciable difference.

There might also me more differences if printing on more specialized papers - I tend to sick with pretty standard luster/satin type papers.

I'm definitely not a 'printing expert', but I do print quite a bit - I have 16x14 and 12x18 prints hanging around my home and office and have done a number of 16x24s for other office spaces. A while back I started reading all the marketing stuff and went a bit nuts. Now I honestly don't think it matters much. Again, specialized papers and subjects, maybe if you are printing for a University class or something, with a professor examining small details, someone would notice a difference, but otherwise... meh. If you are just printing to put on your wall - or someone else's - and just want the prints to look good then I don't see the differences.

Unless someone can show somehow comparisons of the differences, but I have not seen anything. Even Epsom for instance, doesn't show how those new P400/800 printers are so much better than the old printers. Since they are no longer selling the 3880 for instance, why not demonstrate how much 'better' the new printers are? As far as I can tell it is because the older printers were already great as far as print quality is concerned and the rest is details or features. For instance, the P800 'only' have 2880x1440 dpi vs 5760x1440 for the P400. Why? My guess is it make no difference you can see, but 5760 on a 17" print would just take too long where as it sounds so much better so they use it for the 13" printer.

Like for instance this reviewer of Canon 1000 vs Epsom P800 from PC mag:

Unlike the PRO-1000, which comes with 12 inks (well, 11 inks and a clear coat), the SureColor P800 uses nine (Photo Black, Matte Black, Light Black, Light Light Black, Cyan, Light Cyan, Vivid Magenta, Vivid Light Magenta, Yellow). Like the PRO-1000, the P800 comes with several shades of black ink, which, among other things, help produce stunning grayscale images. Granted, the more colors in the palette for mixing, the wider the color range, but frankly I didn't see any real quality differences between the P800's output and that of the PRO-1000. While somewhat different here and there, grayscale and full-color images from both sources looked outstanding, although the Canon model's grayscale images did look a little brighter and more detailed.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Aptos, CA, USA
Oct 15, 2017 09:49 |  #18

Optiq wrote in post #18472688 (external link)
Thanks to all of those who replied. I never planned on using generic inks, I should have made that more clear in my OP.

I'm leaning more toward the Epson Surecolor P400 EXCEPT there will be long stretches of non-use so clogging could be an issue. I've seen mixed reports on clogging from non-use but it's enough to maybe push me back to dye based inks and the clear winner there is the Canon Pro 100. Maybe if I see one of those deals that I've been hearing about, it could push me off the fence to the Canon side.

According to the guy who runs the local Epson service center, the 3880 (which I had taken to him for a checkup) has a maintenance cycle that runs regularly when it is turned on. This is designed to keep the nozzles from clogging. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I can tell you that I leave my 3880 turned on 24/7, (and my 3800 before that) whether I plan to use it or not, and I have never had a clogged nozzle. Never.

But then, this may be one of the differences between Consumer/Prosumer printers and Professional printers, aside from the size of the ink cartridges themselves.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Optiq
THREAD ­ STARTER
392 posts
Joined May 2009
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Optiq.
Oct 15, 2017 10:07 |  #19

Hen3Ry wrote in post #18473090 (external link)
According to the guy who runs the local Epson service center, the 3880 (which I had taken to him for a checkup) has a maintenance cycle that runs regularly when it is turned on.

Does that just keep things warm or does it periodically use ink? Because even it's a tiny bit each time, I can see it emptying itself on me! Since I'm not a pro (yet?) there could be MONTHS in between uses.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Aptos, CA, USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Hen3Ry.
Oct 16, 2017 10:43 |  #20

Optiq wrote in post #18473121 (external link)
Does that just keep things warm or does it periodically use ink? Because even it's a tiny bit each time, I can see it emptying itself on me! Since I'm not a pro (yet?) there could be MONTHS in between uses.

According to the guy I talked to, it's specifically to keep the nozzles from clogging. What the mechanism is, I don't know, but it seems to work.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Quint ­ on ­ Trask
Joined Apr 2015
Oregon
Oct 16, 2017 12:56 |  #21

I've been using my Epson 3880 for over three years now and have never had clogging issues. I do keep Tumi cover over it when not in use. I print photos and art repros for myself and a few others but what keeps me printing more often is that I make 5" x 7" cards on both matte and glossy/satin papers. I'll switch black inks every few months so one don't sit too long without use. I try to print a card every week or two. I sell my cards in a few shops. They come with envelops and are in a plastic sleeve. Another photographer has me print cards for him too so the printer never sits idle for too long.

wyntastr
Joined Mar 2012
Bradenton, FL
Oct 16, 2017 19:05 |  #22

From now until the end of the year, the deal on the Pro-100 is $379.99 minus a $250 mail in rebate, bringing your cost to $129.99. This also includes a free pack of 50 sheets of 13x19 Canon Pro Lustre photo paper. Free delivery. You can find this deal at Adorama or B&H.
https://www.adorama.co​m/icapro100.html (external link)

Coincidentally, Canon direct is offering a deal for free photo paper sampler with the purchase of $30 worth of pro ink for the Pro-100. Sampler pack consists of 1 Pack of LU-101 13X19 50 Sheets, 2 Packs of SG-201 13x19 50 Sheets and 2 Packs of PRO Paper Sampler Package.
Do the math and order 4 separate invoices of 2 ink tanks each (Pro-100 takes 8 individual tanks) and you will get 4 pro paper samplers that Canon values at $399.99 per pack. So $1600 worth of free pro paper for your new printer!
https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...100-inks?WT.mc_id=C126149 (external link)

60D - 1D Mk III - Rebel T3 - Rokinon 8 fisheye - Tokina 12-24 f/4 - 40 f/2.8 STM - 50 f/1.8 Mk I - 85 f/1.8 - 70-200 f/4L - 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - 300mm f/4L - 100-400L

Optiq
THREAD ­ STARTER
392 posts
Joined May 2009
Oct 16, 2017 19:43 |  #23

wyntastr wrote in post #18474324 (external link)
From now until the end of the year, the deal on the Pro-100 is $379.99 minus a $250 mail in rebate, bringing your cost to $129.99. This also includes a free pack of 50 sheets of 13x19 Canon Pro Lustre photo paper. Free delivery. You can find this deal at Adorama or B&H.
https://www.adorama.co​m/icapro100.html (external link)

Coincidentally, Canon direct is offering a deal for free photo paper sampler with the purchase of $30 worth of pro ink for the Pro-100. Sampler pack consists of 1 Pack of LU-101 13X19 50 Sheets, 2 Packs of SG-201 13x19 50 Sheets and 2 Packs of PRO Paper Sampler Package.
Do the math and order 4 separate invoices of 2 ink tanks each (Pro-100 takes 8 individual tanks) and you will get 4 pro paper samplers that Canon values at $399.99 per pack. So $1600 worth of free pro paper for your new printer!
https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...100-inks?WT.mc_id=C126149 (external link)

Thanks. I was aware of both deals. However, I thought the $1600 worth of paper one expired yesterday? Did they renew it?

Of course it's not really $1600 worth of paper but is it close? Is it mainstream, popular paper or the junk nobody wants that they're laundering with other stuff?

wyntastr
Joined Mar 2012
Bradenton, FL
Oct 16, 2017 22:21 |  #24

Optiq wrote in post #18474340 (external link)
Thanks. I was aware of both deals. However, I thought the $1600 worth of paper one expired yesterday? Did they renew it?

Of course it's not really $1600 worth of paper but is it close? Is it mainstream, popular paper or the junk nobody wants that they're laundering with other stuff?

They've extended the paper deal until the end of the month or until supplies run out.
It's all good Canon pro paper. The 13x19 size gives you 50 sheets of LU 101, 100 sheets of SG 201, and 2 packs of 8.5x11 sampler which consist of 5 sheets each of LU 101, SG 201, PT 101 (platinum glossy) and PM 101 (premium matte)

60D - 1D Mk III - Rebel T3 - Rokinon 8 fisheye - Tokina 12-24 f/4 - 40 f/2.8 STM - 50 f/1.8 Mk I - 85 f/1.8 - 70-200 f/4L - 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - 300mm f/4L - 100-400L

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 1 month ago by kf095.
Oct 16, 2017 22:52 |  #25

I have some new old Epson from Epson Canada for year now. C88+, maximum size is letter. I think, they are making them for long time. Should be no problem with Win 10, all Epson features are supported in Win 7. I paid 100 CAD for it and it is way better prints I was getting from Cosco, not to mention Walmart. Epson has matching paper which is fine and heavy weight, darkroom like, Ilford paper is no problems. It is using archival pigment inks and cartridges are not expensive at all. Matte, gloss, semi all supported. BW as well and it is real BW.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2718/32890677531_50b41cbb93_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/S7rj​x6] (external link)
M8 and J-12 prints. (external link) by Kostya Fedot (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/527/32162457166_1b2a07bf3c_c.jpg

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

3,848 views & 3 likes for this thread
Best printer for photos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.