Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Scatterbrained.
Oct 17, 2017 01:23 |  #5656

You need to add black around the frame to give shape to the clear case. Basically, the only white should be what is visible in the frame. Shoot the gridded strip boxes through angled diffusion panels for a smoother side highlight. A large white scrim (vellum works well) in the front will finish off the clean reflection.

Edit: bear in mind this will be easier to do in a larger space. separate the background from the subject and light them separately.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 17, 2017 01:27 |  #5657

i agree. here's my second attempt.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,863 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Post has been edited 1 month ago by navydoc.
Oct 17, 2017 01:40 |  #5658

vinmunoz wrote in post #18474492 (external link)
Thanks to my 'lil light meter. It's perfect the first time, the very first shot.

cc will be highly appreciated. especially the product shooting master Gene.

The first test was without the front lighting on and I thought it's better. On the second try i fired the front lighting with the same output(F9), i got a bit hazy result. it's still good but hazy.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by vinmunoz in
./showthread.php?p=184​74492&i=i60072690
forum: Sony Cameras
./showthread.php?p=184​74492&i=i88306382

Here are my thoughts Vinz, for what it's worth. I would straighten out the verticals and as you mention, with the front lighting reducing contrast, I might bump up the black point up a little using a levels adjustment layer.

Could you see the clear plastic cases without the front light? How much darker was the faces of the makeup without the front light? I think shooting on an all white 'stage' is the most difficult to light. I'd say your meter worked well for you.

Here's a quick straighten and black level adjustment for comparison. Thanks for the BTS shot too.

Ah, I hadn't seen your 2nd shot before I posted. I agree that using black at the sides and above will bring out the clear plastic cases better too.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 17, 2017 02:07 |  #5659

Thanks Gene. All your points are noted.

INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 17, 2017 02:11 |  #5660

Who tried SMB in the Philippines?

HOSTED PHOTO

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 17, 2017 02:46 |  #5661

vinmunoz wrote in post #18474529 (external link)

Well everyday is a school day, for my whole life I have thought San Miguel is a Spanish beer. I’m partial to one myself, never realised it was from the Philippines

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 | Sony 2.8/90

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,863 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Post has been edited 1 month ago by navydoc.
Oct 17, 2017 02:48 |  #5662

vinmunoz wrote in post #18474529 (external link)
./showthread.php?p=184​74529&i=i219256544

I've certainly enjoyed my share of San Miguel while in port at Subic Bay, Pi in 1966.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

uljens
Joined Oct 2009
Riga, Latvia
Oct 17, 2017 03:00 |  #5663

guys try to use "butter paper" in between light and object you shooting and your overall look of final product will increase
also consider using not direct but reflected light

Uldis | Instagram (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Oct 17, 2017 03:17 |  #5664

xpfloyd wrote in post #18474537 (external link)
Well everyday is a school day, for my whole life I have thought San Miguel is a Spanish beer. I’m partial to one myself, never realised it was from the Philippines

If I'm not mistaken the beer is spanish, but it is produced in the philipines. I think this comes from the time spanish intruders went to the philipines.

But I can't stand San Miguel. Have you guys ever tried Cruzcampo? Thats the real beer

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 17, 2017 03:30 |  #5665

davidfarina wrote in post #18474543 (external link)
If I'm not mistaken the beer is spanish, but it is produced in the philipines. I think this comes from the time spanish intruders went to the philipines.

But I can't stand San Miguel. Have you guys ever tried Cruzcampo? Thats the real beer

I had a google there and it looks like it was started by some Spanish guys but the brewery was opened in Manila , years later they expanded into Spain where it is now also brewed.

x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by MedicineMan4040. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 17, 2017 04:32 |  #5666

Again to remind,one of my buds asked why so few waterfalls from our Iceland trip.
May answer, waterfalls=meh. We have so many around here.
But my best friend, and personal physician bought my a99ii and he likes waterfalls.
Not the kind you can drive too, 2 min walk and set up a tripod.
This is Compression Falls, also known as Twisted Falls (doesn't look twisted to me).
It is a 45 minute bushwhack through thick laurel to get to the river then rocking until
you see the falls.
The falls are cranking, meaning they are blowing off a lot of mist, enough that your lens will
be covered in just moments.
We started the hike a bit too late, 0730, trying to get to the falls before the Sun ruins them.
But I think light wise we got there early enough.
The hike out is seriously steep, the same if not steeper 30-40 degree way out following a power line cut out.
This set of falls is beautiful, unspoiled for the obvious reason :)

I've also linked to the video, and my first serious crash with the DJI Spark (cut out of the vid), just glad I veered it away from water!
So this is what I did this weekend.
And again thankfully (38F as I type), cold enough the snakes are underground :)

https://www.flickr.com ...931/in/dateposted-public/ (external link)

https://youtu.be/y1CyL​7yupuc (external link)

And in case any of you are curious about the DJI Spark, well it is only a 1/2.3 CMOS, pitiful eh? But here is an image I got out of the Spark.
I took the video you watched on youtube (you watched it didn't you???) into Photoshop, 'harvested' 20 frames from a possible 80, then stacked
them Smart Object Median stack mode. Then into Luminar for color pop, back into Photoshop for fine tuning-

HOSTED PHOTO

So that's what I did this weekend :)

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 17, 2017 04:45 |  #5667

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18474568 (external link)
Again to remind,one of my buds asked why so few waterfalls from our Iceland trip.
May answer, waterfalls=meh. We have so many around here.
But my best friend, and personal physician bought my a99ii and he likes waterfalls.
Not the kind you can drive too, 2 min walk and set up a tripod.
This is Compression Falls, also known as Twisted Falls (doesn't look twisted to me).
It is a 45 minute bushwhack through thick laurel to get to the river then rocking until
you see the falls.
The falls are cranking, meaning they are blowing off a lot of mist, enough that your lens will
be covered in just moments.
We started the hike a bit too late, 0730, trying to get to the falls before the Sun ruins them.
But I think light wise we got there early enough.
The hike out is seriously steep, the same if not steeper 30-40 degree way out following a power line cut out.
This set of falls is beautiful, unspoiled for the obvious reason :)

I've also linked to the video, and my first serious crash with the DJI Spark (cut out of the vid), just glad I veered it away from water!
So this is what I did this weekend.
And again thankfully (38F as I type), cold enough the snakes are underground :)

https://www.flickr.com ...931/in/dateposted-public/ (external link)

https://youtu.be/y1CyL​7yupuc (external link)

The video really allows the viewer to see the sense of scale of the waterfall. There’s a great angle at about 1:05 on the video that would make a real nice photo if just rotated left slightly, with the orange in the sky in the distance. Nice work

x100F | α7R II

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 17, 2017 05:21 |  #5668

xpfloyd wrote in post #18474571 (external link)
The video really allows the viewer to see the sense of scale of the waterfall. There’s a great angle at about 1:05 on the video that would make a real nice photo if just rotated left slightly, with the orange in the sky in the distance. Nice work

Eddie thanks. Seriously thanks. I'm seriously old! and this hike in and out is serious.
We do plan on returning for a swim. The best shot of these falls is from the other side of the river....and that means a swim. The other side is approachable
but only with rope and serious climbing skills . We'll hike down with backpacks and spend the night, shoot in the morning before the Sun...then the hard part=hiking out, next
summer.
Like I said we have way many waterfalls...but how much to risk a broken leg and a 4-6 hour rescue :) Plus I'm old ha!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,059 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Oct 17, 2017 05:45 |  #5669

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18474582 (external link)
Eddie thanks. Seriously thanks. I'm seriously old! and this hike in and out is serious.
We do plan on returning for a swim. The best shot of these falls is from the other side of the river....and that means a swim. The other side is approachable
but only with rope and serious climbing skills . We'll hike down with backpacks and spend the night, shoot in the morning before the Sun...then the hard part=hiking out, next
summer.
Like I said we have way many waterfalls...but how much to risk a broken leg and a 4-6 hour rescue :) Plus I'm old ha!

Now that my wife and I may be losing our healthcare plan for 2018, I’ll definitely be sticking with those meh 2-minute walk easy-shooting waterfalls! That one is a real beauty though. Amazing part of the world you live in. :)

David | Flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 17, 2017 05:48 |  #5670

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18474582 (external link)
summer.

Well worth the effort imo. Not sure if you already have something you use but I use ortlieb dry bag liners (just in case you need something to put the camera gear in when crossing the river). Our military use them too and they are great quality at reasonable prices. Totally waterproof when sealed properly

x100F | α7R II

sponsored links

246,934 views & 13662 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.