Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 15 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 15:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Deleting Rejected Photos - still on the disk?!

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Oct 15, 2017 15:08 |  #1

Evening all, I recently got around to sorting out my catalog of around 65,000 images and after spending the day going through them found around 12,500 to delete which I set as "rejected". Things like photos of the back garden, test shots of the living room clock etc!

They are now deleted, but there is no additional space on the external drive they were on. Presumably they are still there and Lightroom has only deleted from the Catalog. Any ideas why that might me? Defeats the object really. Plus what can I do now - as I have no way of finding all those finds on the drive!

It did say it was going to put all those files in the recycle bin but it hasn't. I am using Lightroom CC and selected delete all rejected images from "All photographs" - I did see a dialog box stating all deleted photos would go to the recycle bin.

Many thanks!

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,024 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Oct 15, 2017 15:50 |  #2

thc1979 wrote in post #18473343 (external link)
Evening all, I recently got around to sorting out my catalog of around 65,000 images and after spending the day going through them found around 12,500 to delete which I set as "rejected". Things like photos of the back garden, test shots of the living room clock etc!

They are now deleted, but there is no additional space on the external drive they were on. Presumably they are still there and Lightroom has only deleted from the Catalog. Any ideas why that might me? Defeats the object really. Plus what can I do now - as I have no way of finding all those finds on the drive!

It did say it was going to put all those files in the recycle bin but it hasn't. I am using Lightroom CC and selected delete all rejected images from "All photographs" - I did see a dialog box stating all deleted photos would go to the recycle bin.

Many thanks!

Are you sure that you definitely clicked on "Delete from Disk"

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Oct 16, 2017 02:01 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18473375 (external link)
Are you sure that you definitely clicked on "Delete from Disk"

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by john crossley in
./showthread.php?p=184​73375&i=i96660946
forum: Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Yep! I think the only workaround is to create a new catalog from the current one

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Oct 16, 2017 03:03 |  #4

Looking at my catalog there are days where the folder shows 0 photos, but on the disk they are still there. It would almost be feasible to go through the folders like this and manually delete them but this will only benefit whole days. I think the only work around is to create a new catalog and import from the old one!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 16, 2017 03:10 |  #5

Did you actually empty the trash? "Delete from Disk" will move them to the trash but you won't free up any actual disk space until you empty the trash.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Oct 16, 2017 03:31 as a reply to Dan Marchant's post |  #6

It's on an external drive, but there was nothing extra in the recycle bin and the files are still physically there. I definitely clicked on delete from disk. It's strange, but I'm going to have to create a new catalog.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,024 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Oct 16, 2017 04:31 |  #7

thc1979 wrote in post #18473692 (external link)
It's on an external drive, but there was nothing extra in the recycle bin and the files are still physically there. I definitely clicked on delete from disk. It's strange, but I'm going to have to create a new catalog.

So when you open the external HD the images are in the same physical location as they were before you deleted them?

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

nordlysBW
326 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Oct 16, 2017 10:03 |  #8

And you did reconnect your external disk, click on the Windows Recycle bin icon and then opt for a delete from trash?

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Oct 16, 2017 11:16 |  #9

john crossley wrote in post #18473698 (external link)
So when you open the external HD the images are in the same physical location as they were before you deleted them?

Yes they are.

nordlysBW wrote in post #18473879 (external link)
And you did reconnect your external disk, click on the Windows Recycle bin icon and then opt for a delete from trash?

They weren't in the recycle bin at all, they hadn't been deleted.

It's a strange one, it is as if I clicked the remove from catalog setting but I definitely didn't - the whole purpose of the exercise was to free up some space.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Dan Marchant.
Oct 17, 2017 01:11 |  #10

thc1979 wrote in post #18473943 (external link)
They weren't in the recycle bin at all, they hadn't been deleted.

It's a strange one, it is as if I clicked the remove from catalog setting but I definitely didn't - the whole purpose of the exercise was to free up some space.

The reality is that in 99.9% of cases these things occur due to user error (you pressed the wrong button despite how sure you are that you didn't). In the 0.1% of cases where it isn't user error it is a bug - but given how many copies of Lightroom there are out there a bug like this would have shown up elsewhere, which it hasn't.

thc1979 wrote in post #18473692 (external link)
It's strange, but I'm going to have to create a new catalog.

You don't need a new catalog. What you do is...
1. Load LR and ensure Library > Show photos in sub folders is ticked.
2. Go to the top level folder on the external harddrive that has these rogue images. - by that I mean your highest Pictures folder or the one that contains all the images/subfolders that they are in.
3. In the LR "Folders" tool bar on the left of screen click/right click on that top level folder and select Synchronize Folder.
4. When the dialogue is displayed make sure that Import new photos and Show Import dialogue before importing are both ticked. Press the Synchronize button.
5. The import dialogue will be displayed and will show all of the rogue images that are on your drive, but not in the catalog.
6. On the right side of the Import Dialogue is the Apply During Import menu. In the keywords section type a temporary keyword that you know doesn't already exist (I use "killbill").

Warning: If you have any images on the external drive that aren't supposed to be in LR (old mobile photo pics or whatever) you will need to scroll through the images and deselect those.

7. Press the Import button.
8. Once the import is complete (and with the top level folder still selected) go to the Keyword list on the right and scroll down to/mouse over "Killbill". An arrow will be displayed to the right of the keyword. Click this to display all images with that keyword.
9. When they display go to Edit > Select all. Then right click on an image and select Remove Photos. Triple check that you are clicking on the right button when you hit Remove from Disk ;)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Oct 17, 2017 16:36 |  #11

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18474498 (external link)
The reality is that in 99.9% of cases these things occur due to user error (you pressed the wrong button despite how sure you are that you didn't). In the 0.1% of cases where it isn't user error it is a bug - but given how many copies of Lightroom there are out there a bug like this would have shown up elsewhere, which it hasn't.

You don't need a new catalog. What you do is...
1. Load LR and ensure Library > Show photos in sub folders is ticked.
2. Go to the top level folder on the external harddrive that has these rogue images. - by that I mean your highest Pictures folder or the one that contains all the images/subfolders that they are in.
3. In the LR "Folders" tool bar on the left of screen click/right click on that top level folder and select Synchronize Folder.
4. When the dialogue is displayed make sure that Import new photos and Show Import dialogue before importing are both ticked. Press the Synchronize button.
5. The import dialogue will be displayed and will show all of the rogue images that are on your drive, but not in the catalog.
6. On the right side of the Import Dialogue is the Apply During Import menu. In the keywords section type a temporary keyword that you know doesn't already exist (I use "killbill").

Warning: If you have any images on the external drive that aren't supposed to be in LR (old mobile photo pics or whatever) you will need to scroll through the images and deselect those.

7. Press the Import button.
8. Once the import is complete (and with the top level folder still selected) go to the Keyword list on the right and scroll down to/mouse over "Killbill". An arrow will be displayed to the right of the keyword. Click this to display all images with that keyword.
9. When they display go to Edit > Select all. Then right click on an image and select Remove Photos. Triple check that you are clicking on the right button when you hit Remove from Disk ;)

I see what you’re saying but I know what I clicked on :-)

I hadn’t seen your message until just now but my workaround first thing this morning was to reimport the images using “add” and then delete all the images in the previous import folder. I did this from my desktop using the reject function and worked fine.

sponsored links

428 views & 3 likes for this thread
Deleting Rejected Photos - still on the disk?!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.