Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 21 May 2007 (Monday) 00:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do you go abought getting a press pass

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.
Oct 17, 2017 23:46 |  #76

It is so great to see an old thread come back up to the top! . I wish this would happen a lot more than it does.

rcpilot_971 wrote in post #3239443 (external link)
. . . . I was looking at some of there gear and some of them just had 30D with 70-200 F4 lens and I seen one with a 20D and a 30D with a sigma 24-70 and some other zoom not a 120-300 but I think he said it was 18- 300 or something like that.

The full-time sports guy here at my local newspaper still shoots with the Nikon D200 that he's used since 2006...........and doesn't have any pro caliber lenses. . The full-time commercial photographer that I know in Spokane is still shooting with a tandem of Canon 5D mk 2s. . And the official rodeo photographer that I know is still shooting with a Canon 1D mk 3 and his antiquated non-IS 300 f2.8.

Many full time professional photographers have gear that is significantly older than that of most hobbyists. . A lot of laypeople assume that all/most pros have top-of-the-line gear, and that isn't true at all. . Experience has taught me that, at least in my area, if I see someone shooting an event with old, sub-par gear, they are probably a full-time professional photographer. . If I see someone shooting an event with new, top-of-the-line professional gear, then they are probably a hobbyist. . That's just the reality of things.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 28 days ago by Dan Marchant.
Oct 18, 2017 00:02 |  #77

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18475133 (external link)
Experience has taught me that, at least in my area, if I see someone shooting an event with old, sub-par gear, they are probably a full-time professional photographer.
If I see someone shooting an event with new, top-of-the-line professional gear, then they are probably a hobbyist.

Yep, you don't run a successful business spending all your money on the latest gear. If a camera you used last year was good enough to service your clients needs, it will be good enough this year and next, until it breaks.

The exception will be the major sporting events, because the camera makers give, loan or rent out top kit.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Oct 19, 2017 09:07 |  #78

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18475138 (external link)
The exception will be the major sporting events, because the camera makers give, loan or rent out top kit.

Another exception would be when a game-changing piece of kit comes along. All the pro motorsports photographers who shoot Nikon switching to the D850 for example.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

27,962 views & 8 likes for this thread
How do you go abought getting a press pass
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.