Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 19 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 13:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lexar brand making a return

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,881 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 19, 2017 13:07 |  #1

http://www.longsys.com …ovable-storage-solutions/ (external link)

sponsored links
nardes
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 19, 2017 15:45 |  #2

I do hope that the following excerpt from the "About Lexar" statement remains with the new owners...

"Lexar’s products design has been tested by Lexar Quality Labs (a laboratory with more than 1,200 digital devices) to ensure the performance, quality, compatibility and reliability."

Cheers

Dennis

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,080 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2017 16:30 |  #3

So cheap Chinese chips in a Lexar case?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,712 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 19, 2017 16:32 |  #4

Yes.

That's not to say that they weren't previously cheap Chinese chips.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,080 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2017 16:36 |  #5

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18456022 (external link)
Yes.

That's not to say that they weren't previously cheap Chinese chips.

Well, they seemed pretty good before so I'm guessing they were higher grade Chinese or maybe even Korean chips.

Hokie ­ Jim
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2016

Oct 19, 2017 13:56 |  #6

Their USB card reader has worked great for me.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by eelnoraa.

Jan 05, 2018 17:29 |  #7

Previously, Lexar is the retail division of Intel-Micron, which is one of the only four NAND flash manufactures capable of making mass flash production. I believe most of their product's controller is by SMI or Phison as they don't own their internal card controller development. IM decided to sell Lexar (I don't know why). With Lexar acquired by Longsys, the flash will have to come from one of the 4 flash manufacture: IM, Toshiba/WD/Sandisk, Samsung, Hynix. Controller however, we will have to see. Personally, I will stick with flash card that made by manufacture that also product their own flash, such as Samsung, Sandisk/WD, OSC/Toshiba

And FYI, China as of Jan 2018 is still no capable of mass product flash memory (NAND) at all. To archieve the quality level of the big 4, it will still take a long while. Chines however can make very good controller these days by reverse engineering. So I am not surprised Lexar will use a Chinese controller + flash from one of the big 4s.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

sponsored links

1,023 views & 3 likes for this thread
Lexar brand making a return
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.